Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    In our company they wouldn't even consider allowing it. It doesn't sound unacceptable, it is unacceptable. We have never had EAS enabled but we used to have PalmOS and WM devices running Goodlink. Now only company owen Blackberries are allowed and they are only permitted to connect to the corporate BES. RIM devices have the concept of an IT Policy which enables an IT dept to lock down a device and prevent it connecting to unauthorized services such as a mail server. Their devices also just work without tinkering of course.
    I feel for you. Looks like the Pre and your work life will never be good buddies. I bet your computers at work are still running IE 6 too. Ah well, I don't mean to berate your company. It is a very difficult thing to do to manage corporate IT security across a large organization.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I feel for you. Looks like the Pre and your work life will never be good buddies. I bet your computers at work are still running IE 6 too. Ah well, I don't mean to berate your company. It is a very difficult thing to do to manage corporate IT security across a large organization.
    One of the companies I work with also have the same policy as ad grant... they run IE 7... and IE 6 (for those not upgraded).

BB just work in a corporate environment... although, if someone wants an iphone (or another type of phone, like WM) they can purchase it on their own and have it hook up to the server...

Not impossible to have other phones hook up to a corporate server... depends on the config...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    Their first instinct will be the same as ours, it sounds unacceptable and they probably won't work as hard to make it work.
    "They", meaing IT folks. Interesting...

Guess what I do for a living, and have for about the last two decades.

Most of the IT folks I work with look for solutions, not excuses.
    In our company they wouldn't even consider allowing it. It doesn't sound unacceptable, it is unacceptable. We have never had EAS enabled but we used to have PalmOS and WM devices running Goodlink. Now only company owen Blackberries are allowed and they are only permitted to connect to the corporate BES. RIM devices have the concept of an IT Policy which enables an IT dept to lock down a device and prevent it connecting to unauthorized services such as a mail server. Their devices also just work without tinkering of course.
    EAS is the "other" answer to BES. EAS allows much the same type of lockdown as BES. However, depending on the client side, some aspects of EAS may or may not be implemented.

Those IT departments that need to control PDA devices will have varying degrees of acceptance. The more control they need over the devices, the less likely they are to allow the Pre.

But, I still believe that the "negative" hype this is receiving is way overblown, especially the notion that Sprint (or Palm) has somehow mae some blanket statement that it's not an appropriate device for the enterprise.
    EAS is the "other" answer to BES. EAS allows much the same type of lockdown as BES. However, depending on the client side, some aspects of EAS may or may not be implemented.

Those IT departments that need to control PDA devices will have varying degrees of acceptance. The more control they need over the devices, the less likely they are to allow the Pre.

But, I still believe that the "negative" hype this is receiving is way overblown, especially the notion that Sprint (or Palm) has somehow mae some blanket statement that it's not an appropriate device for the enterprise.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Their first instinct will be the same as ours, it sounds unacceptable and they probably won't work as hard to make it work.

There will be a lot less acceptance than of the iPhone, and this isn't something they can address as easily as Apple did. The fundamental problem of supporting multiple Exchange servers and how it complicates remote wipe and security policies is here to stay.

I still have some hope that we can remote wipe our data and Palm may eventually be able to institute the shortest timeout, longest password, and most complex password. If we can wipe our data through EAS, Palm needs to let people know that. As it stands, they make it looks entirely unacceptable.
    I have not seen any indication that the Pre uses any wipe other than the Palm profile wipe. It seems unknown whether an EAS wipe is supported.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    many large enterprises only allow company-owned smartphones on the network. ironically, they let employee-owned and PUBLIC PCs log into the network! probably because it wouldn't be practical to not allow them.

also many organizations will not let you port your phone number back if you leave the company - even if you ported your personal number to the company phone in the first place!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I have not seen any indication that the Pre uses any wipe other than the Palm profile wipe. It seems unknown whether an EAS wipe is supported.
    I agree, and exactly my original concern earlier on this thread. I look forward to trying it and I hope it will remove all the data associated with our Exchange server. If it does not then we will not allow it, but I still think this may result in triggering a synchronization that deletes all the data.
    I agree, and exactly my original concern earlier on this thread. I look forward to trying it and I hope it will remove all the data associated with our Exchange server. If it does not then we will not allow it, but I still think this may result in triggering a synchronization that deletes all the data.
    frankly i don't want my IT guys having the ability to wipe my device. the data is mine - i brought it to the organization - and i have personal data on my device too. it is MY proprietary data. but i guess they could make the point that i give up the right to it if i want to sync to the corporate server?

i'm sure Palm will add EAS wipe functionality at a later date if it's not already there. i'd think it would be easy to add.
    Does anyone know if I will be able to connect to Exchange that enforces PIN/timeout policy? This is very common and I would be surprised if it didn't work. Even the iPhone can do this.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Does anyone know if I will be able to connect to Exchange that enforces PIN/timeout policy? This is very common and I would be surprised if it didn't work. Even the iPhone can do this.

So I tried adding my corporate EAS server account...and it won't work. The Pre says it doesn't support the security policy enforced by my Exchange Server. All it is is a simple 4 digit PIN! Works with my iPhone and my old Treo 800w! BOOOOO!!!!!
    This kind of stuff makes me mad. The company I work for employs around 120 people, and me and another college student run the IT department. I'm talking Exchange, BES, DNS, many more, and a lot rests on our shoulders. But we have NEVER told someone we couldn't get something working with our servers, and have gotten many phones we didn't think would work to connect to our Exchange server. We always have fun when people come to us and say, "Can you get this working with our e-mail?"

Anyways, kind of a mini rant, but I hate seeing IT people who get so hard headed that they decide they can't have fun with things anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    frankly i don't want my IT guys having the ability to wipe my device. the data is mine - i brought it to the organization - and i have personal data on my device too. it is MY proprietary data. but i guess they could make the point that i give up the right to it if i want to sync to the corporate server?

i'm sure Palm will add EAS wipe functionality at a later date if it's not already there. i'd think it would be easy to add.
    This is a bit of a gray area. So you absolutely do not want your phone to be able to be wiped by us IT people, that's fine, we can set it up that way. However, when you lose your phone in a cab, subway, restaurant, etc, not only will people have access to all of your personal info, you will also be liable for any company secrets that are found because we can't wipe it.

I'm not sure if you think the IT guys just wipe devices from time to time for S & G's, but I don't see how it would hurt to have the ability in the event something like this occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    So I tried adding my corporate EAS server account...and it won't work. The Pre says it doesn't support the security policy enforced by my Exchange Server. All it is is a simple 4 digit PIN! Works with my iPhone and my old Treo 800w! BOOOOO!!!!!
    I am in the same boat, just tried to sync and the pin/timeout gets me the error that the security policy is not supported.

This is a dealbreaker, I may be one of the first pre returns out there...
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    My exchange is working, my pin policy is not working (very happy)
    I've worked for both large and small companies. It depends on how email is used and what data you might have on your phone.

The no remote wipe does suck. I can see where the problems lie though. It will never get large corporate uptake with out this. Hell I don't think i'll be able to recommend it to alot of our clients because of regulatory compliance on data management. If IT can't control the data, then it's not compliant, remote or not.

My exchange is working fine, but we don't have much security, we're a Managed Service provider and there are only 5 of us with mobile devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc679 View Post
    This is a dealbreaker, I may be one of the first pre returns out there...
    I think I beat you to it

After working with Sprint store techs and then directly with Palm support, they've admitted that EAS device pin lock security feature is not yet implemented on the Pre. Without it, no EAS work email is possible - I returned the Pre right there and then. Very disappointing!
    Well.. I am one of those IT folks...

I have both BES and EAS deployed in my enterprise (about 200 users),
    and three providers (Verizon, Sprint, and Nextel) and allow employee purchased phones to connect to both, since while my job is to secure my network, it is also to make end users productive, not the other way around.

When they leave the company, they can take their number and phone if they choose.

We have a couple of iPhones connected to EAS, and I don't envision any issues when on Tuesday when I receive the two Pres I ordered (one is for my use).

EAS has the remote wipe capability (and password/lock enforcement) but I am pretty sure that it's only for WM devices, which is about 99.9 % of my users).
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    EAS has the remote wipe capability (and password/lock enforcement) but I am pretty sure that it's only for WM devices, which is about 99.9 % of my users).
    Not so . . . Remote wipe and device pin lock are enforced by the EAS on any ActiveSync connecting remote device, regardless of its type or OS. Its is natively supported on WM5 and WM6 devices as well as the iPhone and previous versions of Treos running VersaMail email client. It is *not* supported on the Pre yet. If you'd like the Pres to sync to your EAS server, device password/pin lock security feature will need to be disabled on the EAS, until Palm fixes their WebOS AS implementation.
    Pilot 1000=>Pilot 5000=>Palm IIIx=>Palm Vx=>Palm 505m=>Treo 600=>Treo 650=>Treo 700wx=>Treo 755p=>Palm Pre=>Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by lexart View Post
    Not so . . . Remote wipe and device pin lock are enforced by the EAS on any ActiveSync connecting remote device, regardless of its type or OS. Its is natively supported on WM5 and WM6 devices as well as the iPhone and previous versions of Treos running VersaMail email client. It is *not* supported on the Pre yet. If you'd like the Pres to sync to your EAS server, device password/pin lock security feature will need to be disabled on the EAS, until Palm fixes their WebOS AS implementation.
    I stand corrected (like I said, we have like one or two iPhones and the rest are WM devices, so we have not had to use that feature yet).

Good info though. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    Well.. I am one of those IT folks...
    I don't envision any issues when on Tuesday when I receive the two Pres I ordered (one is for my use).
    Neuro, your Sprint corp rep ordered you a couple of Pres, I assume(?). So, you're expecting them on Tues? Where did you get that date? I too am waiting for one from my corp rep. She said the order was entered a week or so ago. But would be processed today. Just wondering what I can expect from a delivery time line.

Also, my corp exchange server does require my Treo 700P to have the security code feature enabled, before it'll allow me to sync e-mail, contacts, calendar... As I understand this thread, it looks the Pre doesn't support that security yet. So, it appears I won't be able to use it, when it does get here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast