Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. digity's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #1  
    Will there be push email for Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, POP/IMAP, etc. email accounts or just Exchange email accounts?
  2. #2  
    we don't know yet BUT steve jobs announced the yahoo mail free push for all iphone owners so maybe, just maybe, Ruby will announce free PUSH GMAIL for all new Pre owners. i would switch to Gmail in a HEARTBEAT if that's the case. am i counting on it? hell no.

    by the way - does anyone know what protocol yahoo mail/iphone use for their free PUSH email deal? EAS? bastardized IMAP? other?
  3. #3  
    Its only a matter of time for GMAIL. They already support ActiveSync synchronization for Contacts and Calendar. I have no doubt email will be soon.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Its only a matter of time for GMAIL. They already support ActiveSync synchronization for Contacts and Calendar. I have no doubt email will be soon.
    Gmail supports ActiveSync but not for my centro. i dont see PalmOS or WebOS/Pre as phone choices. i wonder why no centro. i hope WebOS/Pre shows up as option.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Gmail supports ActiveSync but not for my centro. i dont see PalmOS or WebOS/Pre as phone choices. i wonder why no centro. i hope WebOS/Pre shows up as option.
    hmm, I'm not sure the device would matter. As long as your device supports ActiveSync (unless Google is filtering on the device from the backend).
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    hmm, I'm not sure the device would matter. As long as your device supports ActiveSync (unless Google is filtering on the device from the backend).
    i forget how/why but some palmos/centro user (alli flowers?) tried it and it didnt work.

    Google Mobile
  7. digity's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #7  
    so, right now, BlackBerry has the only smartphone that has push email for non-Exchange email accounts?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post
    so, right now, BlackBerry has the only smartphone that has push email for non-Exchange email accounts?
    iphone with Yahoo???
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post
    so, right now, BlackBerry has the only smartphone that has push email for non-Exchange email accounts?
    You can get yahoo mail pushed to the iPhone (when it actually works).
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You can get yahoo mail pushed to the iPhone (when it actually works).
    what protocol do they use? what do you mean when it works?
  11. #11  
    Its not using IMAP idle, its using some other system or protocol for the notification. It also does not work that often.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Its not using IMAP idle, its using some other system or protocol for the notification. It also does not work that often.
    yes, what protocol was my question.
  13. #13  
    It use imap, but not IDLE. You can google it to get a better idea.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Gmail supports ActiveSync but not for my centro. i dont see PalmOS or WebOS/Pre as phone choices. i wonder why no centro. i hope WebOS/Pre shows up as option.
    Were there any non-WinMo devices that it supported?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Were there any non-WinMo devices that it supported?
    Google Mobile

    Android
    BlackBerry
    iPhone
    Motorola
    Nokia
    Nokia S60
    Samsung
    Sony Ericsson
    Windows Mobile
  16. #16  
    My MobileMe account (Apple) is instant push to my BlackBerry. Unless Sprint prevents it with some firmware trickery ala AT&T with their wonderful firmware, it should work. When Apple upgraded .Mac to MobileMe they added the IDLE command support I was whining for. That did the trick. So as long as the Pre will allow you to set up the email account is *should* be instant push.

Posting Permissions