Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Out of the box, viewing is supported in the ROM but not editing; as of now TBDTBDTBD $release$ $for$ purchasing this feature.

On a smart phone, this should be standard OOTB! I am seriously annoyed.
    DataViz will undoubtedly release a WebOS version of Documents To Go. The premium edition will allow editing and creating, the free version will be for viewing. That's what they did when they released a BlackBerry version.
    I would rather also have it included, but I guess we are going to have to support some of these 3rd party developers on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Out of the box, viewing is supported in the ROM but not editing; as of now TBDTBDTBD $release$ $for$ purchasing this feature.

not everything in life is free, pooh.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

I'm starting to get annoyed with your whining.

Why should this be included? Tell me? Why isn't a company allowed to produce a product that earns them some profit?

"Everything should be free" seems to be your mantra. Without the ability to make a profit, you won't see ANY developers for webOS.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  6.    #6  
    WinMO comes standard. I guess they aren't competing.

However, 70 bucks for a license is INSANE!

Was this standard on PalmOS? DocsToGo developers have to make their money some how. The only mobile OS that has this standard is WinMo, and guess what, they own Word, Excel, and PPT, yes it's shocking, I know.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post

Why should this be included? Tell me? Why isn't a company allowed to produce a product that earns them some profit?

"Everything should be free" seems to be your mantra. Without the ability to make a profit, you won't see ANY developers for webOS.
    uh... wtf are you talking about? getting annoyed at my whining makes you an internet loser. Why get upset over someone's opinion? Why even join a forum? There are plenty of other places to get info WITHOUT other users opinions.

Again, my concern is they are trying to market this as a possible business device (as evidenced by the leaked PDF), then it should come stock with document editing. It's an opinion... you're a weird person man.

Where else have I said everything should be free? Are you confusing me with some other user or just having a bad day?
    MSFT spoiled us with everything included FREE in Windows! and they get demonized and sued for it!!! what irony!!!!!

i'm thankful that the DTG "view" version is free and included. i bought DTG premium for my Centro anyway because i needed the "view password protected files" feature - so i'll probably upgrade the Pre version too. i don't buy a lot of software but this is a critical app.

also, i rarely or never edit docs on my little centro anyway. so not missing that feature although that desire may change with a big Pre display in my hands.
    I love the A-Boooooo!

FRRRRRRUNKIS.

Again, my concern is they are trying to market this as a possible business device (as evidenced by the leaked PDF), then it should come stock with document editing.
    This may be true, but Blackberries are even more business oriented and in order to edit documents on them you have to pay as well. So while it would be nice to have it included, its not something standard on all other business devices.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    I love the A-Boooooo!

FRRRRRRUNKIS.
    Goooooooood Eveeeeeeeeening.

Linger Loooonger!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    This may be true, but Blackberries are even more business oriented and in order to edit documents on them you have to pay as well. So while it would be nice to have it included, its not something standard on all other business devices.
    I'll give you that... and I just thought that since Palm was trying to go after the fat middle, they'd attempt to include (or bundle if you will) editing abilities. I am not naive in the development hours put behind these projects... it should be supported, but 70 bucks is almost half the subsidized cost of the device, HARDLY cost efficient.
    WinMO comes standard. I guess they aren't competing.

However, 70 bucks for a license is INSANE!
    WinMo is produced by Microsoft. The same company that produces Word and Excel. Yes, that's included, and they tout it to the high heavens. It's one of the advantages of one company owning both sides of the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Why should this be included? Tell me? Why isn't a company allowed to produce a product that earns them some profit?.
    I am sorry but I disagree. Palm is undoubtedly paying 20 companies for various listening without passing it along as a direct charge.

The objective fact is this is a competitive disadvantage. The last two Palm devices I had have document editing included in the purchase price.

Palm pays and includes in the purchase price for this feature on Pro and on 800w for example
    Looks like the WM version is $30. Maybe they'll go with that for WebOS. It would be smart, because I agree $70 is really high for a mobile app.

P.S. I should clarify that I meant the pricing should be the same as the WM version.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/22/2009 at 08:10 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16.    #16  
    listen, my last 4 phones have been WinMo, I get it.

I also think that Palm could have had pocket Ace's if they had just licensed DataViz to bundle the full package into the ROM (which they have done in the past with other products i.e. Sprite, Astraware)
    be thankful that palm could negotiate the "free" DTG viewer. palm probably pays dataviz a nominal fee for the included viewer app with dataviz only agreeing to that with hope of selling lots of upgrades. out of the box, this package for $199, you got to say it's a great time to be alive.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I am sorry but I disagree. Palm is undoubtedly paying 20 companies for various listening without passing it along as a direct charge.

The objective fact is this is a competitive disadvantage. The last two Palm devices I had have document editing included in the purchase price.

Palm pays and includes in the purchase price for this feature on Pro and on 800w for example
    I am sure the license price for Pocket Office isn't as high as D2G but I am sure they could have worked out a deal (especially getting people hooked on the first GEN WebOS device and their product).

I just it unacceptable in terms of their market strategy (the fat middle, whatever that means now a days).
    If Palm wanted pocket aces they wouldn't be releasing with 8gb of storage. Not including doc to go when the majority of people do not need to edit office documents on the go is just fine. If you need it pony up the $30 like me.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I'm with Pooh, considering on both my 700P and the more recent Centro, DataViz (per their own website - Devices Bundled with DataViz Software) bundled a "Professional" edition of DTG that allowed editing. For them to make this change and make us pay to edit is BS, IMO.

Though it seems the "beef" here is with Palm (or maybe DataViz), not Sprint. The above mentioned page doesn't seem to differentiate between carriers, just phones.

Edit: seems aero beat me to the point...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast