Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Alright, so here's my opinion for what it's worth. I can see from Palm's point of view that the cost difference between providing full editing (which would provide very little incentive for customers to buy Dataviz products) and just a viewer might have not been worth the benefits. I mean, how many people will honestly edit a Word doc on their phone? It's super useful to view docs on your phone, especially when they arrive as an email attachment, but editing is very limited, especially with complex documents that include graphics. At least that's how it has been on Palm OS. I hope that a WebOS version will be better.

But Dataviz would certainly have wanted a lot more money for a full suite on a new OS than for just a viewer. The viewer alone is almost like a free trial version--I bet Palm didn't pay hardly anything at all for it.

So considering that the benefit would only have been to a portion of users and the cost would have been high, I think Palm made the right choice. Dataviz might be the company you want to be upset with.

As far as pricing goes, if it's too high, people won't buy it, and Dataviz will lower the price. I think $30 is reasonable, but wouldn't pay more than that.
    +1

As long as I can view documents that have been sent to me, I'm good. It takes me 2 or 3 times longer to edit on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they keep it at $30, same price as WM version, I say that's reasonable. $70 is price gouging on the BB, but I don't know if they can get away with charging that much on the Pre. The Pre seems a personal buy and not a corporate buy at this point, so how many are going to pay $70 out of their own pocket?
    There's no way I'll pay $70 for an upgrade to just edit the docs.

Besides, it's my phone, not my laptop. I need to view attachments on my phone from time to time (mostly PDF's via efax) but not edit them.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    spoken like someone who spends too much time with their head up their

sorry. you throw up a softball like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Actually, there are a few place that you dont see the sun rise...period. But that's just me being a smart!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I don't recall having to buy DTG for my el cheapo Centro and editing was there. If I have to pay, I have to pay. It's just becoming a pain because I foresee having to pay quite a bit more than I expected to do some of the same things I've been able to do on PalmOS for free (desktop sync, now this). That's not entitlement. You see the sun rise in the east every day 365 days a year, you just figure it'll always do it.
    Originally, D2G wasn't included with Palm devices. As a matter of fact, originally, it didn't exist. The developed the product, but you didn't get it for free at all. Eventually, Palm started including it, but it was a "basic" version that you had to register with DataViz to enable. In the process, they got your email and started offering the "Premium" upgrade.

A couple of things to keep in mind on this:

1. DataViz had to get their initial investment back (through sales) before Palm users started getting it free. They will (likely) have to recoup their initial investment back on the Pre, since they're starting from scratch.
    2. I suspect (though I don't know for sure) that the D2G version that came with the Palm devices cost Palm nothing. I suspect DataViz gave them for the marketing opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    But yeah, no fingers on the pulse here, I am glad we have such high caliber expertise on these forums that the experts can just dismiss other user's points simply because they don't agree.
    Sort of like the other set of "high caliber experts" that just dismiss Palm and Sprint's points, simply because they disagree
    You see the sun rise in the east every day 365 days a year, you just figure it'll always do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Actually, there are a few place that you dont see the sun rise...period. But that's just me being a smart!
    And, in those places (keeping Crogs analogy), they wouldn't be figuring on the sun rising...
    Is there any chance another 3rd party app will allow Doc editing?

Also: business users who really need this feature should be able to afford it. I'm a college student and while it would be nice to have, I don't need it, and I won't pay for it. If I absolutely needed it, well, you pay for it on other phones, so pay for it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    This isn't even included OOTB on a PC. You have to buy microsoft office, or use openoffice. Everyone with their entitlement mindset needs to chill out.
    So true
    I'd bet many iphone "business" users do nothing but basic email and web browsing. I bet many smartphone users in general do nothing but that. Many iphone users I know are that way and constantly showing off their latest meaningless but visually appealing program they just downloaded. So I can see how it'd get rated high. Might not account for a vast majority of those users, but I bet it's a fair amount.
    Well, that's my point - I think cell geeks like us like to push our devices to their potential, and we tend to believe that everyone uses their phones that way. If basic email and browsing is the need for the majority of business users, then it really doesn't matter how many other things higher end phones can do. If most folks don't edit docs on their phones, then leaving that feature out won't hurt sales.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    There's people like us, and then there's people like us. there are many outside of us forum frequenters that make more use of their smartphones. I do think many business users that don't really need a smartphone bought the iphone. I don't believe the iphone was originally labelled as a smartphone (I think...could be wrong). But I talk to many with BB's, WM's, or Palm's that have one or two cool programs that do something they couldn't do on dumbphones. For some they just need the better PIM options smartphones offer. I'm sure there are many mobile professionals out there that would take advantage of office apps due mostly to the the nicer UI and bigger screen. It's one reason why I only used DTG in a pinch on the Centro. Kind of the same reason I couldn't deal with a netbook and endedup up with the sweet Dell e4200. If it's that much easier to work with documents and attach them to emails, then I'll definitely make better use of it. I wasn't really b*tching about it in general. I do remember editing for free on my "lowly" Centro which was why I mentioned it. And I don't even have the phone yet, and I can see the cash outlay growing. Which is exactly why you won't find me buying any Palm branded accessories. Without the proprietary connector, the door is open for cheap generic products, well except for the holster. I do need something on the hip since my daily pants only have one pocket.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/25/2009 at 09:44 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Is there any chance another 3rd party app will allow Doc editing?

Also: business users who really need this feature should be able to afford it. I'm a college student and while it would be nice to have, I don't need it, and I won't pay for it. If I absolutely needed it, well, you pay for it on other phones, so pay for it here.
    I could see a google documents app.
    There's also office 2010 around the corner with web versions. Remains to be seen what effect this will have but supposedly smartphones should have access, especially WM phones.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    not everything in life is free, pooh.
    And NOTHING is free from DataViz!

I'm hoping we'll see OpenOffice for WebOS (the usual 'free' would be nice) - or at least hope the new browser is good enough to handle Google Docs. I make pretty good use of DTG for spreadsheets I maintain on my Treo (and several other Palm PDAs before it) and would miss that ability.

I suppose we're taking for granted that Palm included a functional version of DTG for so long now. I hate to say this cuz I may take a beating here, but for what I've paid repeatedly over the years for my nearly quarterly updates to DTG, they owe me a free upgrade! Seriously, how often do we all see the upgrade for only $29.99. Hey, we can now open password protected files, that'll be 30 bucks please. Hey, we've changed the launcher icon, that'll be 30 bucks! HEY, we haven't really changed anything..... Oh yeah, that'll be 30 bucks!

Not that I'm crazy enough to buy EVERY time, but I have had to upgrade a few times to keep working on documents I share with others at work. I do feel a charge is valid in order to move to newer MS Office formats. For example, the ability to edit MS Office 2003 or 2007 files.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Why not just use Google Docs ??

The phone is Ajax/JavaScript/DHTML ...
    Man....people want everything for free it seems....
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post

Some of us like having the docs on the phone, not out on the 'net. Some of us have docs that cannot/should not be out on the 'net...

I sure hope that works on the Pre. If it does, I can live with the lack of editing via DtG.

Otherwise, it's hard to consider it an upgrade to go from my 755p which allowed me (as recently as last night) to edit/create spreadsheets, to a Pre which doesn't.

Oddly enough, this was one of my main criticisms of the iPhone, back in the day - document editing.

Anyway, I hope rposa's right. Not perfectly ideal, but still cool.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    again you all think I am annoyed because I have to pay for it...

I buy 3-5 phones a year, its not about the money.

Its about marketablility of the Pre as a biz device.

Its a fail (not epic tho) for the 1st gen. BB's have proven themselves in that arena, Pre's have not.
    can't agree with you more,
    they should have included or the price should have been in the sub 30 dollar range.
  19.    #79  

The question is, will that work?

I've never tried it on my iPhone.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    The question is, will that work?
    It doesn't work on my Treo 755p. The formatting is a mess...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast