Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    again you all think I am annoyed because I have to pay for it...

I buy 3-5 phones a year, its not about the money.

Its about marketablility of the Pre as a biz device.

Its a fail (not epic tho) for the 1st gen. BB's have proven themselves in that arena, Pre's have not.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Sorry, someone mentioned BB in the post above mine and I looked up the BB price (which was 70 bucks for a lifetime license or 40 bucks for a yearly).
    I was curious about that too, so I checked the DataViz site for some more prices:

For a Palm without a bundle originally, it's $30 (standard), $50 (premium), or $90 (total office) for the various packages.

For a Palm with a bundle originally, it's only $30 to upgrade to the Premium version.

If you wait around to catch a sale at one of the software sales sites (PalmGear, Handango, etc) you can usually cut another 10-20% off as well. The annual vs perpetual license scheme only seems to apply to BB users too.
    Docs To Go has been a staple of the Palm OS software experience. It filled a major void and allowed them to compete with WinMo in the business arena. Just bundling the free version and cheap upgrade option allowed them to talk about MS Office compatibility.

Pooh is right about the need for this feature to be included. If you want to market this device to a wide audience that includes business users then you need to have MS Office capabilities. Not including the most basic free version is a bad mistake as far as marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Docs To Go has been a staple of the Palm OS software experience. It filled a major void and allowed them to compete with WinMo in the business arena. Just bundling the free version and cheap upgrade option allowed them to talk about MS Office compatibility.

Pooh is right about the need for this feature to be included. If you want to market this device to a wide audience that includes business users then you need to have MS Office capabilities. Not including the most basic free version is a bad mistake as far as marketing.
    uh, they are including it.
    The only reason I read this post was because of the "A-Booooo!".

I created paying extra for document editing. Hoo Hoo, tell'em Fred.
    I think the reason editing isn't included on BB's is because they aren't touchscreen phones which makes editing a bear. Just like the non touchscreen win mobile phones used to not have editing functionality. I don't recall having to buy DTG for my el cheapo Centro and editing was there. If I have to pay, I have to pay. It's just becoming a pain because I foresee having to pay quite a bit more than I expected to do some of the same things I've been able to do on PalmOS for free (desktop sync, now this). That's not entitlement. You see the sun rise in the east every day 365 days a year, you just figure it'll always do it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    In my regime, the Pre would be $199 with instant rebate at Sprint stores, allow SERO users to keep their plan, and have their bill paid for each month with a check from The State.

Oh, and DTG with editing would be free
    Agreed. I use OpenOffice and donate.

Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    This isn't even included OOTB on a PC. You have to buy microsoft office, or use openoffice. Everyone with their entitlement mindset needs to chill out.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    In my regime, the Pre would be $199 with instant rebate at Sprint stores, allow SERO users to keep their plan, and have their bill paid for each month with a check from The State.

Oh, and DTG with editing would be free
    Just give BHO a few months and it might just happen... hell... I'm a majority stakeholder in three auto companies.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    We've got multiple people saying they won't be able to market to businesses because they aren't including a function that will likely cost less to add than on a Blackberry? So good to know that Blackberry cannot be marketed to businesses. Clearly we have our fingers on the pulse of the business community on that one.

I would expect the price in line with other Dataviz Palm upgrades, not in line with replacing Blackberry software. The $70 price was speculative and almost certainly wrong. When a company pays a small fee to Dataviz to include their reader instead of building their own, Dataviz offers a cheap upgrade to their users. I will be shocked if that were not the case here.

I have had a Handspring 600, a 650, and a 700p. I'm sure I did have this feature included on at least one of those, and had to upgrade on at least one as well, so yes, Palm has included this on Palm OS devices in the past, but the notion that they need it to compete with businesses is demonstrably false since Blackberry is dominant in that sector without this feature.
    I do that as well, but Works is often installed for free which does a lot of the basics and sometimes includes Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Agreed. I use OpenOffice and donate.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    We've got multiple people saying they won't be able to market to businesses because they aren't including a function that will likely cost less to add than on a Blackberry? So good to know that Blackberry cannot be marketed to businesses. Clearly we have our fingers on the pulse of the business community on that one.
    BB's have proven themselves already. They were the perfect device for email in the corporate world... so when Doc editing was made possible, Dataviz knew they had the market and they could get corporations to pony up $70 per device (it's less expensive for multiple licenses).

The Pre doesn't have that luxury right now.

But yeah, no fingers on the pulse here, I am glad we have such high caliber expertise on these forums that the experts can just dismiss other user's points simply because they don't agree.
    Let's also remember that, according to a JD Power & Associates survey, the iPhone was the highest rated smartphone among business users, and can't natively edit Office docs.

I like having the ability to edit Office docs, but the reality is that, as email has become the preferred mode of even 'official' business correspondence, I don't really use it that often. YMMV.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    If you really need to edit a document that bad, save a blank document to your device. When you need to create a document open up that blank document, type what you need to type and "Save As" it as a new document. Simple work around.
    I'd bet many iphone "business" users do nothing but basic email and web browsing. I bet many smartphone users in general do nothing but that. Many iphone users I know are that way and constantly showing off their latest meaningless but visually appealing program they just downloaded. So I can see how it'd get rated high. Might not account for a vast majority of those users, but I bet it's a fair amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Let's also remember that, according to a JD Power & Associates survey, the iPhone was the highest rated smartphone among business users, and can't natively edit Office docs.

I like having the ability to edit Office docs, but the reality is that, as email has become the preferred mode of even 'official' business correspondence, I don't really use it that often. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    If you really need to edit a document that bad, save a blank document to your device. When you need to create a document open up that blank document, type what you need to type and "Save As" it as a new document. Simple work around.
    I think you misunderstand the whole viewing only limitation. That applies whether the document happens to have stuff in it or not. viewing only! If you create a blank document, the only thing you can do is stare at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I think you misunderstand the whole viewing only limitation. That applies whether the document happens to have stuff in it or not. viewing only! If you create a blank document, the only thing you can do is stare at it.
    Oops! Sorry about that. I was under the impression it was same limitation as on the BB Curve.
    Honestly, I thought the Pre was going to be marketed mainly for beginning smartphone users(similar to many iPhone users). At least that's what I thought I remember them saying. If that's indeed the case, then that may be the reason why document editing wasn't included.

If they keep it at $30, same price as WM version, I say that's reasonable. $70 is price gouging on the BB, but I don't know if they can get away with charging that much on the Pre. The Pre seems a personal buy and not a corporate buy at this point, so how many are going to pay $70 out of their own pocket?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I think the reason editing isn't included on BB's is because they aren't touchscreen phones which makes editing a bear. Just like the non touchscreen win mobile phones used to not have editing functionality. I don't recall having to buy DTG for my el cheapo Centro and editing was there. If I have to pay, I have to pay. It's just becoming a pain because I foresee having to pay quite a bit more than I expected to do some of the same things I've been able to do on PalmOS for free (desktop sync, now this). That's not entitlement. You see the sun rise in the east every day 365 days a year, you just figure it'll always do it.
    Actually, there are a few place that you dont see the sun rise...period. But that's just me being a smart!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Honestly, I thought the Pre was going to be marketed mainly for beginning smartphone users(similar to many iPhone users). At least that's what I thought I remember them saying. If that's indeed the case, then that may be the reason why document editing wasn't included.

If they keep it at $30, same price as WM version, I say that's reasonable. $70 is price gouging on the BB, but I don't know if they can get away with charging that much on the Pre. The Pre seems a personal buy and not a corporate buy at this point, so how many are going to pay $70 out of their own pocket?
    I hate to disagree with the Diva, but the Centro was also marked mainly as a entry level smart phone, and it included document editing features.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast