Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    If Palm wanted pocket aces they wouldn't be releasing with 8gb of storage. Not including doc to go when the majority of people do not need to edit office documents on the go is just fine. If you need it pony up the $30 like me.
    So in essence you are saying Palm has produced a device that markets to NOBODY. lol

think about it, 8GB isn't enough for MM users and lack of editing docs OOTB is not productive for Biz users.

Which is it? I mean, I get that Sprint is the ones trying to convince the biz users it a viable device, but you can see the Catch 22 here.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Goooooooood Eveeeeeeeeening.

Linger Loooonger!
    Louie! Beanshhhh!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Louie! Beanshhhh!
    Hi... I'm Ted the Cellphone Engineer... designing a smart phone without document editing capabilities is for....

/character

Yano, I just can't do it as good as lil Yimmy.
    Hi... I'm Ted the Cellphone Engineer... designing a smart phone without document editing capabilities is for....

/character

Yano, I just can't do it as good as lil Yimmy.
    where are these references from? i must be out of the loop.
  5.    #25  
    Opie and Anthony...

I am fairly certain D2G Pro was on the device until there was MUUUUURDER involved.
    I also see $80 as a bad decision. I can see their regular charge of $30 or so, but not $80. I do lots of editing on my device and back/forth sending of documents.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Coming from a Windows Mobile Phone (a few), I am honestly surprised that it is not always a sandard option to edit a document on a phone.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to get up in arms about it because any serious typing on a smartphone is pretty ridiculous imo when you can just look over a document on your phone until you can get to a computer to do some real work with it.

That said, anyone who argues on behalf of a corporation, any corporation--no matter how much of a love affair you may have with them or their products--about their 'right to make money' is a goddamn moron.
    Alright, so here's my opinion for what it's worth. I can see from Palm's point of view that the cost difference between providing full editing (which would provide very little incentive for customers to buy Dataviz products) and just a viewer might have not been worth the benefits. I mean, how many people will honestly edit a Word doc on their phone? It's super useful to view docs on your phone, especially when they arrive as an email attachment, but editing is very limited, especially with complex documents that include graphics. At least that's how it has been on Palm OS. I hope that a WebOS version will be better.

But Dataviz would certainly have wanted a lot more money for a full suite on a new OS than for just a viewer. The viewer alone is almost like a free trial version--I bet Palm didn't pay hardly anything at all for it.

So considering that the benefit would only have been to a portion of users and the cost would have been high, I think Palm made the right choice. Dataviz might be the company you want to be upset with.

As far as pricing goes, if it's too high, people won't buy it, and Dataviz will lower the price. I think $30 is reasonable, but wouldn't pay more than that.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    WinMO comes standard. I guess they aren't competing.

However, 70 bucks for a license is INSANE!
    Curious, where did you hear the price?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I'm starting to get annoyed with your whining.

Why should this be included? Tell me? Why isn't a company allowed to produce a product that earns them some profit?

"Everything should be free" seems to be your mantra. Without the ability to make a profit, you won't see ANY developers for webOS.
    To be fair, Palm does have a history of including Documents to Go on their Palm OS devices.........

That being said.......I don't think I care either way.
    Um, my Centro had DTG for FREE and I was able to create my own documents and sync them with my computer or email them to my professors. Not just view them. That might be a deal breaker for me come time for my upgrade. The only thing I can't do now is spellcheck and some other features (I don't use) that requires upgrading
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Um, my Centro had DTG for FREE and I was able to create my own documents and sync them with my computer or email them to my professors. Not just view them. That might be a deal breaker for me come time for my upgrade. The only thing I can't do now is spellcheck and some other features (I don't use) that requires upgrading
    plenty of workarounds. you'll adapt and find one. i wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Curious, where did you hear the price?
    Sorry, someone mentioned BB in the post above mine and I looked up the BB price (which was 70 bucks for a lifetime license or 40 bucks for a yearly).
    I hope so cause this phone (outside of that) would be able to do a lot of things I'm looking for
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    It all comes down to money. Are you willing to pay more for the phone up front, or would you have the option to get a cheaper phone and perhaps pay for the full app if you want. There is no such thing as a free lunch. In the past, Palm just built it into the cost of the phone.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I'm just glad there's an editing option (to upgrade to). I can't harp on this too much since its something i don't really use.

They lay down the pieces but don't quite finish up. An iphone like media experience is about there but its up to you to put the pieces together even if they're 3rd party apps as palm stops short of it. I get the feeling its like this in other areas.
    On a smart phone, this should be standard OOTB! I am seriously annoyed.
    This isn't even included OOTB on a PC. You have to buy microsoft office, or use openoffice. Everyone with their entitlement mindset needs to chill out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    It all comes down to money. Are you willing to pay more for the phone up front, or would you have the option to get a cheaper phone and perhaps pay for the full app if you want. There is no such thing as a free lunch. In the past, Palm just built it into the cost of the phone.
    exactly. those that want it can pay for it and those that don't - don't have to.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    This isn't even included OOTB on a PC. You have to buy microsoft office, or use openoffice. Everyone with their entitlement mindset needs to chill out.
    Again, some other asshat telling me to chill out.

Doode, it isn't entitlement I am preaching... its marketing. They wanna go head to head with the big boys? Then at least compete like the big boys.

Its been stated why in this thread enough times... why am I not entitled to my opinion on the subject? Bunch of tools running around on this forum.
    Again, some other asshat telling me to chill out.

Doode, it isn't entitlement I am preaching... its marketing. They wanna go head to head with the big boys? Then at least compete like the big boys.

Its been stated why in this thread enough times... why am I not entitled to my opinion on the subject? Bunch of tools running around on this forum.
    they need to keep the cost down to $199. they negotiated a deal with dataviz to provide the basic app for cheap. not everyone wants or needs edit feature so why make everyone else pay for it? yeah it'd be nice if it was free but that's not always how the world works.

i'm going to have to probably upgrade anyway so that i can get word/excel file PASSWORD support.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast