1.    #1  
    Sprint: Palm Pre shortages are speculation but demand could exceed supply : Boy Genius Report

As the Palm Pre fiiiiiiiiinally nears launch, there has been plenty of talk with regards to supply and demand lately. Is the Pre going to be as popular as everyone thinks? Did production issues prevent Palm from having enough units ready for launch? Are Palm and Sprint shorting deliveries to help ensure a sellout? Here at BGR we’ve gotten some pretty firm intel regarding Best Buy’s stock of Pre handsets at launch, but what about Sprint’s stock? Can we expect similar shortages? The following is an official statement from Sprint:

At Sprint, we’re excited by the response to the Palm Pre, but what’s been posted is pure speculation. Because of the Pre’s popularity, it’s likely that initially we won’t be able to keep up with the demand for the device. If that happens, we will work diligently to ensure that everyone who wants a Pre can get one as soon as possible.

So, it looks like Sprint and Palm are doing their best to meet projected demand but because the device is anticipated to be so desirable, it’s entirely possible — nay, likely — that demand will exceed supply. In that event however, Sprint will do everything in its power to step things up and get units out to everyone who wants one as soon as possible. There you have it folks, straight from the horse’s mouth.
    I would really, REALLY hate to be working on Sprint's/Palm's marketing department.

"Good luck, we're counting on you!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I would really, REALLY hate to be working on Sprint's/Palm's marketing department.
    My guess is the two marketing departments are not on good terms at the moment
    TRANSLATION: Sprint is shorting the Pre inventory for the release and blaming it on ... anything but Sprint.
    Yeah I love the Sprint commercials for the the Pre...Oh thats right, there are none! Palm must be furious right now. Pre comes out in 14 days and not 1 commercial.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yeah I love the Sprint commercials for the the Pre...Oh thats right, there are none! Palm must be furious right now. Pre comes out in 14 days and not 1 commercial.
    I was thinking the same thing, but if they expect all of the pre phones to sell out in one day and have a next shipment for the pre phones out in a month or so, it wouldn't really make sense to advertise. To me, this indicates somewhat of a shortage, since it is doubtful that there will be many pre phones still on the shelves weeks to come after the phone is released, in need of an advertisements prior to launch in order to lure customers in. If Palm were to put out 5 million phones out on launch for example, it would be likely to assume that they would advertise a boatload. Therefore, we must assume the opposite is true atleast to some extent.