Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 119
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    how will they know?
    cause they got to pay for it!

    I do contract work where I get ability to pick up a handset to asign to the company's plan and bill out to them, and there are lists of approved handsets.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    In regards to Garmin/TT. At least TT is not tied to a card, will it be able to use the internal GPS with the POS emulator? As much as I crave a Pre and was waiting to get Google with position find, not having turn by turn directions in areas without cell coverage is a non-starter for me. I know, I'm probably the only user with that need...
    You are not the only user with that need. You get a sprint signal in about 5% of the planet, and that does exclude some areas of the states itself, whereas GPS works everywhere.

    GPS that is carrier signal, or even just cdma at the phone's frequency, dependent, is a lower value than GPS and nav combination that work independent of CDMA.

    Still though, Telenav, since it is included in the plan just has to be on the final release of the pre. it has to be some kind of omission on the pdf.
  3. #83  
    Oh no@read-only for Documents to Go. I use my Centro for my notes in class (creating notes). So that's a bad strike for me
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    cause they got to pay for it!

    I do contract work where I get ability to pick up a handset to asign to the company's plan and bill out to them, and there are lists of approved handsets.
    not necessarily. at many corporations, you may buy your own phone but they will reimburse your monthly charges up to typically $100-$150 per month. that's how it is at mine. they don't care what you use - but they'll only support EAS.

    there is a growing trend back to this model. below is an example that talks about the iphone in the enterprise but it could just as easily apply to the Pre -


    Top 10 lessons for enterprise iPhone adoption

    2. It gives employees freedom to choose their own tools
    Sometimes it makes sense to give employees the freedom to choose the tools they want. If an iPhone makes an employee happy, then supporting it will deliver the collateral benefits of a happier workforce and a new line of communication between IT and employees.

    3. The iPhone changes the support model to self-service
    Community-led iPhone support can mean lower support costs. Your internal iPhone community can support itself if you provide a moderated wiki — it needs to be moderated to keep inappropriate security workarounds from being widely shared. Your own helpdesk can contribute its expertise to the community support site.

    5. The iPhone helps IT stay out of device and mobile-tariff issues
    When employees buy an iPhone, they get hardware and accessories from the Apple Store. That process is good for enterprise IT. And with the standardised pricing of iPhone services in the US from AT&T, you can stay out of tariff issues as well. You have, in effect, outsourced responsibility for the device, network and tariffs to others, while retaining control over device policies and management.

    Top 10 lessons for enterprise iPhone adoption | iPhone News Updated
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Oh no@read-only for Documents to Go. I use my Centro for my notes in class (creating notes). So that's a bad strike for me
    You can't create the same notes using (drumroll)... notes?
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Oh no@read-only for Documents to Go. I use my Centro for my notes in class (creating notes). So that's a bad strike for me
    we'll maybe do it in Memos or in an Email and then email it to yourself? or maybe buy a cheap NETBOOK? it's got to be painful taking any reasonable amount of notes on a tiny smartphone keyboard.

    Dell Mini 9 Laptop / Netbook
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You can't create the same notes using (drumroll)... notes?
    well, we don't know how to get them to the desktop. no sync but presumably you can email them?
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    we'll maybe do it in Memos or in an Email and then email it to yourself? or maybe buy a cheap NETBOOK? it's got to be painful taking any reasonable amount of notes on a tiny smartphone keyboard.

    Dell Mini 9 Laptop / Netbook

    Not at all. My hand doesn't cramp up. Very convenient for me so I don't have to lug around my laptop, which I do own. So far I haven't carried one book or notebook since I got my Centro except for a class outline for my Asian class
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You can't create the same notes using (drumroll)... notes?

    That would be a lot of extra steps cause I could only view them on my laptop because of having Palm software. Other comps won't be able to open it I presume. Even still, Notes isn't WordToGo and I'm sure professors won't accept it
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Not at all. My hand doesn't cramp up. Very convenient for me so I don't have to lug around my laptop, which I do own. So far I haven't carried one book or notebook since I got my Centro except for a class outline for my Asian class
    how are your grades?
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    how are your grades?
    I got B's in all my classes this past semester (which is the first semester with the phone). My handwriting is very bad (it's gotten to the point where half the time if I go back to it, I can't read it) and I really hate writing while the teacher talks 100 miles per minute. I type faster than I write even with the Centro keyboard. I was able to take notes most of the time without looking down and was able to look at the front to see what the hell they are talking about LOL.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  12. #92  
    Wow, I can't see myself taking any long notes on any phone, specially a Centro. You must have tiny fingers.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Wow, I can't see myself taking any long notes on any phone, specially a Centro. You must have tiny fingers.
    LOL. It's okay. Granted I type much faster on a computer keyboard, it's better than my handwriting
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  14. #94  
    i'd get a cheap little mini netbook like the Dell mini 9. your grades would probably go up and you won't have carpal tunnel syndrome at age 30.
  15. #95  
    That's nice and all but as someone with an MBA, i can't imagine just taking a Centro to class. Prof probably kick me out thinking i was texting. How you get buy in advanced math classes?

    I'm the type that doesn't take many notes preferring to listen. When the need arose, i wrote in a notebook. I print, not that neatly, but gets the job done. Lappie only used to type papers.

    Anyways, regarding the topic. I was surprised the Centro came with docs-to-go at the time. I think the option to pay to upgrade from read to edit is fine considering this isn't a huge need with most people. My laptop is for creating/editing docs or spreadsheets.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    not necessarily. at many corporations, you may buy your own phone but they will reimburse your monthly charges up to typically $100-$150 per month. that's how it is at mine. they don't care what you use - but they'll only support EAS.
    Yes, but in my experience there is a trend away from this model. That is why people here are posting to that effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Top 10 lessons for enterprise iPhone adoption
    A lot of it is not applicable to Pre. Not exactly a pros and cons or full history. And it is from this month, nearly two years after Apple began working enterprise for iPhone with Apple spent huge amounts last year on assisting and corporate level integration with resources Palm simply cannot field due to vastly different financial strength.

    In short it took Apple a year after a broad and in depth and very well funded effort.

    I am not pessimistic about uptake for Pre in that market, but realistic that it will take as long or longer than apple.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes, but in my experience there is a trend away from this model. That is why people here are posting to that effect.


    A lot of it is not applicable to Pre. Not exactly a pros and cons or full history. And it is from this month, nearly two years after Apple began working enterprise for iPhone with Apple spent huge amounts last year on assisting and corporate level integration with resources Palm simply cannot field due to vastly different financial strength.

    In short it took Apple a year after a broad and in depth and very well funded effort.

    I am not pessimistic about uptake for Pre in that market, but realistic that it will take as long or longer than apple.
    but Apple has started to break down the wall in the enterprise - and that will help in the adoption of PRE. and lots of IT departments are already familiar with Palm or have or had a prior relationship with them so there is a comfort level there. it will take some time but probably not as long as you think.
  18. #98  
    Imagine trying to get a company to adopt your iPod phone. I think Apple had barriers to knock down and still do.

    Palm, though their brand has eroded some, doesn't have this obstacle. I'd like to think they got prior relationships to build on.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    but Apple has started to break down the wall in the enterprise - and that will help in the adoption of PRE. and lots of IT departments are already familiar with Palm or have or had a prior relationship with them so there is a comfort level there. it will take some time but probably not as long as you think.
    I think a year and I'll bet that is what Palm thinks.

    I am not saying it isn't going to happen, but that a year is likely.

    Everyones resources are stretched and there is yet to be a compelling reason for corporate IT to support it. They have to see an advantage. It requires either the maker, palm, spending money they don't have to support it by deploying and funding teams, and/or companies to spend their own money and resources and take risks. This is in an environment where spending is cut by buyers and Palm has little resources.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Imagine trying to get a company to adopt your iPod phone. I think Apple had barriers to knock down and still do.
    Palm, though their brand has eroded some, doesn't have this obstacle. I'd like to think they got prior relationships to build on.
    Palm has much more obstacles than Apple had. They haven't their own money and the corporate buyers are often cutting spending. So there are problems Palm has on both sides of the equation and Apple had neither.

    It is counter intuitive if you haven't been in the business, but corporate IT and enterprise is profoundly conservative -- often the most conservative and risk and change averse department in a corporate structure
    If you are talking about legacy Palm OS it has no relationship to WebOS adn provides nothing helpful in uptake. Relationships from five years ago are ancient history in IT the relevance of Palm os to web OS at that level is nil.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's nice and all but as someone with an MBA, i can't imagine just taking a Centro to class. Prof probably kick me out thinking i was texting. How you get buy in advanced math classes?

    I'm the type that doesn't take many notes preferring to listen. When the need arose, i wrote in a notebook. I print, not that neatly, but gets the job done. Lappie only used to type papers.

    Anyways, regarding the topic. I was surprised the Centro came with docs-to-go at the time. I think the option to pay to upgrade from read to edit is fine considering this isn't a huge need with most people. My laptop is for creating/editing docs or spreadsheets.
    And with the work I turned in, it showed that I was doing more than just "texting". Most of the professors I had didn't have a problem except for one, in which I argued that having a laptop could be a bigger distraction. And doesn't it have a scientific calculator?

    If I just listen, I'll forget everything by the time I get home LOL. And I already explained that my handwriting wasn't legible.

    Different strokes.....
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions