Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    BAD - "Inviting attendees to a meeting from the device is currently not supported"

GOOD - Secure Wi-Fi- EAP-TLS, PEAP v1/v2, EAP-TTLS, EAP-FAST, LEAP
    do you ever really use that function? i don't and i actually hate it when people do and invite me. just send me a regular email!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    do you ever really use that function? i don't and i actually hate it when people do and invite me. just send me a regular email!
    I do every now and then. Its been missing from the iPhone too (being added in next version of OS). Big time business users would though a lot. The blackberry does this ofcourse.
    The document mentions that WAV and MP3 are supported audio formats. Has anyone heard anything about OGG or FLAC?

The document also mentions that MS Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 is supported. My company uses MSES 2007 SP 2 (I won't say "supports" -- the whole system is now unstable). Has anyone heard about Pre support for MSES 2007 SP 2?
    Couple big things:

1. They explicitly say only 10 flagship stores are having 6/5 launch parties and sales. All the news out there is apparently wrong, since people are saying that a number of sprint stores are going to stay open 6/5 and sell. This launch is already completely confusing and likely will be different at each store; definitely not a good thing for a smooth, equal-hype, everyone-feels-treated-the-same launch. I feel miffed because even if I was a Premier customer, I don't think my local corporate store is doing anything. I called up and the woman I spoke to sounded confused and then defensive. Lovely.

2. Pre-Orders and Out of stock on page 13, this is really strange. How come we haven't heard any of this? Who gets information about pre ordering and who is allowed to pre order? Is this going to be for people who registered on the Sprint website decades ago? So far I feel like that hasn't helped us at all. Celebs and other big-wig businessmen types are getting this thing before average Joe. At least with Apple, anyone waiting outside the Apple store at the right time walked away with an iPhone. This launch is apparently some kind of popularity prerequisite litmus test.

3. No SERO (::shrug:: I won't beat that dead horse. It's unclear what the upgrade path is for us who are on SERO other than that we have to switch. Can we show up in-store and do it? Can we get EPRP without having to argue for hours? Are we left in the cold? It seems less stressful to just forget about it.)

4. No editing Word/Office docs. This is kind of a huge disappointment for me. I wonder how the adobe acrobat support is, if it even exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Couple big things:

1. They explicitly say only 10 flagship stores are having 6/5 launch parties and sales. All the news out there is apparently wrong, since people are saying that a number of sprint stores are going to stay open 6/5 and sell.
    It doesn't say that at all. Those refer only to the special events. It rfers to the ten stores that will have some kind of promotional event. It does not say or imply only the 10 event stores are selling the Pre on June 5, it leaves wide open the other stores.

As far as pre-orders, it is clear that they start next week for business customers even though the sale itself can't complete until June 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It doesn't say that at all. Those refer only to the special events. It rfers to the ten stores that will have some kind of promotional event. It does not say or imply only the 10 event stores are selling the Pre on June 5, it leaves wide open the other stores.
    It's entirely up to your interpretation. The way I read it, it isn't an every corporate store thing, which would explain why so many people don't see the special hours tab on the store locator for their area.

Quote Originally Posted by From the PDF
    Sprint Retail Launch Events – 6/5 (PM)
    10 Flagship Stores –
    Premier Customers / Business Customers –
    VIP Event / Celebrity Presence / Invitation –
    Only
    on page 21............

"Combined messaging takes advantage of other popular IM services such as G-talk and AOL."

Where are yahoo messenger and msn?
    3. No SERO (::shrug:: I won't beat that dead horse. It's unclear what the upgrade path is for us who are on SERO other than that we have to switch. Can we show up in-store and do it? Can we get EPRP without having to argue for hours? Are we left in the cold? It seems less stressful to just forget about it.)
    I think the no sero was and is obvious since january. you are directed to the $60 plan, ie if you are sero (or anybody) you get $10 cheaper than standard everthing.

The shocker for me is that all the legacy plans do seem to be explicitly excluded. That was an unkown until now. My guess is Sprint will relent when Pre inventory gets healthy but not for launch.
    sprint is using this as just another opportunity to gently nudge as many people over to higher ARPU plans. and they will continue IMO.
    It's entirely up to your interpretation. The way I read it, it isn't an every corporate store thing, which would explain why so many people don't see the special hours tab on the store locator for their area.
    Nearly all the stores in my area have special hours and there is only one launch party.
    It is clear that way more than ten (looks like thousands) have special hours.

also why did you add this: "They explicitly say only 10 flagship stores are having 6/5 launch parties and sales"

The explicitly do not say that.
    Last one. Page 21, when discussing remote wipe..............

"Users can simply log onto their Palm Profile webpage and initiate a ‘remote erase’ command to their Pre."

This will be a no-no for many enterprises. Instead of using the normal exchange admin tool, IT staff would need a Palm specific tool.
    The nice thing about inviting from a meeting is that the user accepts the invitation, and it's automatically put into their calendar.

I've used it a lot, but not outside the system I was in (it's a pretty popular GroupWise feature). Now that iCal is gaining in popularity, you'll see more people begin using it.

I'm sure this will be added later.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The nice thing about inviting from a meeting is that the user accepts the invitation, and it's automatically put into their calendar.

I've used it a lot, but not outside the system I was in (it's a pretty popular GroupWise feature). Now that iCal is gaining in popularity, you'll see more people begin using it.

I'm sure this will be added later.
    yeah i guess im just a control freak and i like to enter in my own events. call me old fashioned.
    sprint is using this as just another opportunity to gently nudge as many people over to higher ARPU plans. and they will continue IMO.
    Hey, and why not. I understand that. That is the point of the phone and most of Sprints over all strategy.

I do think eliminating legacy plans from eligibility will have way more blowback than SERO. I think it is a test though. Whether they stick to it will depend on supply of Pre and other metrics.

There are high revenue people on family plans for which the everything plans involve more than $20 or $30 more a month, but on the order of $75 to $150 more a month. Sprint relents on these conditions more often than they stick to them, but it will depend on market response and their overall position say in six months.
    yeah i guess im just a control freak and i like to enter in my own events. call me old fashioned.
    That's puzzling to me. An invitation to an event like that is usually something that can't have the time changed, or the place. You can manually enter all the information (and hope you have it right) or not enter. However, if you have a system like we're discussing, you just accept the invite, and everything is added for you, or you decline, and it doesn't go in.

I do usually add a "drive time" appointment in mine, but it IS a great feature.

As an example, I have a conference call every Wednesday. Most of the times are the same, but some are different. The supervisor that sent me the invitation had all of the various times entered, had all of the various conference call ID's entered. All I had to do was "accept" (actually, really did have to do it, it was a "acceptance required" invitation).
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I actually took this as very negative. We've known for some time that we'd be able to view MS Office docs. The wording here at least implies that that's all we'll be able to do - no editing.

I've been going through what's on my Treo, figuring out what I need to port over, what can be discarded. It turns out there is nothing in D2G for me that's just static stuff to view.

Mostly I've got a bunch of Excel spreadsheets either used as logs (mileage, a bottle use log to help estimate when I need to order more eye medicine) or specialized calculators (a sheet with lots of beer brewing calculations, a sheet for estimating electron beam dosages as a function of voltage and sample thickness, a sheet for estimating glass transition temperature of copolymers, etc).

Bottom line - at least for me, viewing isn't going to provide much value. I need to be able to edit.
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's puzzling to me. An invitation to an event like that is usually something that can't have the time changed, or the place. You can manually enter all the information (and hope you have it right) or not enter. However, if you have a system like we're discussing, you just accept the invite, and everything is added for you, or you decline, and it doesn't go in.

I do usually add a "drive time" appointment in mine, but it IS a great feature.

As an example, I have a conference call every Wednesday. Most of the times are the same, but some are different. The supervisor that sent me the invitation had all of the various times entered, had all of the various conference call ID's entered. All I had to do was "accept" (actually, really did have to do it, it was a "acceptance required" invitation).
    i have a weird habit of entering all of my palm appointments as untimed but put the time next to it as part of the entry-

"John Smith - Lunch - 21 Club - 12pm"

this way all of the appointments are condensed view. yes i know extra steps and yes the pre will have accordion yada yada yada. 10+ year habit.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! No TeleNav!!!!!!! +99999 to Sprint Now just for Garmin to make Mobile XT
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! No TeleNav!!!!!!! +99999 to Sprint Now just for Garmin to make Mobile XT
    No way will Garmin port mobile xt (or TT or Navigon) to Pre for a long time if ever. sorry.

Why:

1) no sd card slot and most of the nav programs use sd card security for ip protection
    2) Telenav is included and already a paid feature of all the plans for the Pre, you can bet a telenav application is really missing at launch (and that would be a stunning negative and I don't think we can conclude it won't) it has got to be coming very very soon or the Pre will not be a competitive device. It would be a MONSTER screw up if it isn't there at launch.
    3) most of the full featured nav programs are Wince based. Porting them to WM was easy
    4) Gamin, Navigon and TT are on devices with OS in current in consumer hands numbers of 50 million. When WebOS Pre gets to 10 million and if it still has no telnav you would have a prayer, but dont hold your breath.
    Last edited by aero; 05/22/2009 at 09:34 PM.
    now i have a question after reading the pre palm launch guide, i have the everything data plan do i have to switch to the everything plan.......
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast