1.    #1  
    I hear that the pre backs up all data every night automatically. I imagine that it is going into the cloud that I am slowly growing tired of reading about. I know, I know- stop reading about it then.

But what does that mean, in a very specific sense? Who has access to the data that is automatically sent from my phone?
    Last edited by Sprockethead; 05/22/2009 at 01:38 PM.
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Palm
  3.    #3  
    I deem that to be uncool.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Then don't use that feature
  5.    #5  
    Oh. I originally thought it was mandatory if you wanted to take part in cloud computing.

I deem everything cool once again.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The backup is an included service provided by palm. As far as I know, it is mandatory when you activate your phone.

Backup Options

The Backup service automatically backs up preferences and account settings. It does not back up individual files or items. For example, if you have 15 e-mails in your inbox, the e-mails are not backed up.

Backup does back up the account information used to access that inbox. It also backs up any preferences you store inside the application. For example, if you change the alert settings for a Calendar account, those settings will be backed up.

Third-party applications added to the phone are backed up. These items are backed up automatically each day. Customers can also initiate a manual backup.

When is a backup restored?

* Automatically restores data after an Erase or Device Exchange by signing in to the Palm profile.

How do customers delete their backup?

* If auto-backup is disabled, the current backup is immediately deleted from service.

What information is stored in a backup?

* Contacts stored directly on the phone (not those synchronized through the Synergy feature).
    * Calendars.
    * Account settings.
    * Downloaded applications.
    Some Palm Pre Questions Inside Sprint Now

EDIT: nevermind, saw in there that it says autobackup can be disabled.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I use IMAP so I am not worried about emails being backed up, but what about text messages, memos, and other "non-cloud" items? can we grab them via USB mode and save them to our PC/Macs?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    I use IMAP so I am not worried about emails being backed up, but what about text messages, memos, and other "non-cloud" items? can we grab them via USB mode and save them to our PC/Macs?
    I'm going to assume that photos can be pulled via usb to a computer. Not sure about the rest.
    It's like what Danger does with the Sidekick. Your phone is backed up on their servers. It's pretty cool if you ask me.