Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I'm midstream with my contract and only eligible for $75. I've called two Sprint stores and been told by both that my cost would be full retail ($549) minus the $75.

Bump that $hoit. I may as well just wait until Palm releases the next Pre with either more internal memory or a mini SD slot.
    You can extend your contract, no matter when it is up. If you have a year to go and it is up on say... May 2010, when you buy the Pre and extend the contract, your contract would be up on say... May 2012. I have done it personally, so this is not just a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyWeazy View Post
    You can extend your contract, no matter when it is up. If you have a year to go and it is up on say... May 2010, when you buy the Pre and extend the contract, your contract would be up on say... May 2012. I have done it personally, so this is not just a guess.
    In that case, I see that I'm going to have to go in and speak with someone directly, because I'm getting stonewalled every which way over the phone. I asked both stores about reseting my contract to start at the time of Pre purchase - to which they both replied that a contract cannot be abreviated early.

So the majic word then is contract "extension"?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyWeazy View Post
    I just conducted a Web Chat with Sprint and here's what they said regarding upgrades:

Hi Lesli, how are you today?

10:51:59 Agent Lesli
    Great! How may I assist you?

10:53:05 Customer ****
    I am planning on purchasing the Pal Pre on June 6th. I have read several blogs that are offering contradicting info. How much is the Pre. I am a Premier Account holder who is eligable for the full $150 phone upgrade?

10:53:54 Agent Lesli
    I'd be happy to provide that information for you.

10:53:59 Agent Lesli
    One moment, please.

10:54:17 Customer ****
    Thank you for your time

10:55:09 Agent Lesli
    Your price for the device will be $199.99 after $100 mail in rebate.

10:56:50 Agent Lesli
    Do you have any further questions or concerns about Sprint service or products that I can assist you with today?

10:56:53 Customer ****
    A sprint "Escalations Rep" said that they got a memo saying that it was $299 for upgrading customers after rebate. So, you are confirming that it is not true?

10:57:13 Customer ****
    I did not speak with the rep personally.

10:59:50 Agent Lesli
    For a Premier customer receiving the full $150 upgrade discount, you will be eligible for the new subscriber price of $199.99 after rebate. You will pay $299.99 and be eligible for the $100 rebate.

11:00:42 Customer ****
    Is it different for non-premier customers, who are eligible for the $150 upgrade?

11:01:45 Agent Lesli
    No, it is not. The discount of $150 is still the same discount. Premier customers are eligible to upgrade sooner than regular customers (every 12 months).

11:02:13 Customer ****
    Thank you for clearing this up. Have a great day!

11:02:40 Agent Lesli
    You're very welcome.

So, there it is! Let's end the chatter on this thread. Whomever told you that the Pre will be $299 was wrong. Unless it applies to you only, since you're trying to get something that you are not eligible for. You might just have to wait or you might want to talk to the "Retention Dept".
    Like I said, it was my first reaction that this can't be true. It wasn't just for me (I asked her if it was for all new upgrades), she claimed.

anyway, no big deal as I'll be waiting till Sept, but Sprint's misinformation is all over the place
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    I can't believe people on this board are actually gullible enough to believe Sprint reps, most of whom don't know the difference between their *** and a hole in the ground. In case some of you forgot these are the same reps that said the phone would be out in July or August AFTER Sprint announced the June 6th date. Anyway, you can believe what you want but most of us know better.
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I feel like we should go a bit easier on the Sprint reps. I know they are the public faces of Sprint to us, but seriously, there is obvious communication problems that Sprint is having. The reps are just telling us what they think they know based on teh info they have....
    I used Sprint's chat today to find out what a Pre would cost me. I'm scheduled for a $150 upgrade credit July 1st.

I was told that (if I buy on release date) my cost would be $474.99 before $100 MIR. If I wait until July 1st, my cost will be $299 before $100 MIR.

I'm wondering what my cost will be at Best Buy since they're giving the rebate instantly. Are they selling every Pre for $199 regardless of when your maximum upgrade credit takes effect?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I used Sprint's chat today to find out what a Pre would cost me. I'm scheduled for a $150 upgrade credit July 1st.

I was told that (if I buy on release date) my cost would be $474.99 before $100 MIR. If I wait until July 1st, my cost will be $299 before $100 MIR.

I'm wondering what my cost will be at Best Buy since they're giving the rebate instantly. Are they selling every Pre for $199 regardless of when your maximum upgrade credit takes effect?
    I had to talk to a Sprint Store rep and the cancellation department today and they pretty much gave the same speech you got. They just got a new email from corporate that established strict guidelines regarding the Pre and there will be no negotiating or additional discounts. It was really weird because the reps were really nice but after referring to the new email they were really robotic with everything. Hopefully someone gets a hold of that email.

Anyway, 3 days ago I spoke with a rep who notated my contract renewal terms and discounts so I thought I was set, but according to the new rep I spoke with then when I go in to buy my pre then those notes will be disregarded. The $199AR is for new customers only and as an out-of-contract renewal I get my discounts off retail which means:

$549 Palm Pre Retail (unconfirmed)
    -150 Upgrade Discount
    -100 Rebate
    =$299 Each (And that doesn't seem right)

Hopefully we're all just running into a flurry of confused reps but if it's really going to be this difficult then I could see a lot more people leaving Sprint.
    thanks for posting the chat above. I browsed to it while waiting for my sprint rep and almost directed him here

here's hoping your rep was right and mine was wrong. I tried to get everything broken down and spelled out ***** style. I presume I wasn't the ***** in this convo. I hope sprint's shoddy service doesn't end up being the albatross around Palm's neck, I've been a palm enthusiast for years.

for anyone bored and needing some rage. others, skip, sorry for the wall of text...

15:30:03 System System
    Alex L has joined this session!
    Connected with Alex L
    Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Alex L. How may I assist you today?
    15:30:23 Customer *****
    hello, i have questions about the palm pre pricing as i'm sure many have
    15:31:43 Agent Alex L
    proceed with your questions
    15:32:27 Customer *****
    well i understand there's a 549 retail price, and what specifically are the discounts that bring it down to 199?
    15:33:54 Agent Alex L
    199 is the final price after discounts for new customers, if a current customer upgrades to the phone the pricing is $299.99
    15:34:12 Customer *****
    so i'm ineligible for the 199 price?
    15:34:36 Agent Alex L
    $549.99-$150.00=$399.99
    15:34:54 Agent Alex L
    $399.99-$100.00 (mail-in-rebate)=$299.99
    15:34:54 Customer *****
    and what does that 150 represent?
    15:35:19 Agent Alex L
    The $150 is representative of the upgrade discount.
    15:35:47 Customer *****
    ok, so am i to understand that loyal customers to sprint cannot get the phone for the same price as a new customer?
    15:35:59 Customer *****
    that seems kind of odd
    15:36:44 Agent Alex L
    I do apologize however pricing is not determined by Sprint, it is determined by the manufacturer.
    15:37:21 Customer *****
    so whatm, then, are the discounts specifically, aside from the 100 rebate that bring the phone down to 199 for new customers?
    15:38:19 Agent Alex L
    There instant savings plus the additional manufacturer discount.
    15:38:41 Customer *****
    and what makes me ineligible for those savings?
    15:38:51 Customer *****
    being a sprint customer
    15:40:34 Agent Alex L
    The policy of upgrading for current customers, is that the $150 upgrade discount replaces the instant savings which is why the current customer does not get the same price
    15:41:29 Agent Alex L
    If the time between upgrades is long enough sometime the system will automatically make the current customer eligible for new customer pricing would you like me to check to see if you are eligible for new customer pricing?
    15:41:39 Customer *****
    so if the additional savings are made up of instant savings and manufacturer discount, and the upgrade replaces instant savings, why would i not get the manufacturer discount?
    15:42:29 Agent Alex L
    The reason that the manufacturer discount is not applied, is you are a current customer.
    15:43:09 Customer *****
    i have not seen that in writing anywhere, can you direct me to some actual documentation that supports your line of explanation?
    15:44:29 Customer *****
    because from all that i have read, there is no pricing penalty for existing customers
    15:44:54 Agent Alex L
    One moment please
    15:45:07 Customer *****
    i simply was trying to see if the upgrade fee was additional, which i now understand takes the place of instant savings... ok thank you
    15:45:34 Agent Alex L
    It is my job to ensure that I have fully resolved the issues that prompted you to chat with me. Have I resolved all of your issues today?
    15:45:51 Customer *****
    no, i asked you to support me with documentation
    15:46:39 Agent Alex L
    One moment please
    15:46:40 Customer *****
    if you read my previous posts you would have known that
    15:46:51 Customer *****
    your service is quite unsettling
    15:48:29 Agent Alex L
    Thank you for your patience
    15:49:01 Customer *****
    yes, do you have a link to documentation stating existing customers are not eligible for manufacturer discoiunts?
    15:49:50 Agent Alex L
    The manufacturer discount is promotional, for new customers, there is not a direct link to that information.
    15:50:26 Customer *****
    it should be written somewhere, if you know it, and customers are expected to know it, please provide me with a location as to where i can find that
    15:51:08 Customer *****
    if you want your customers to understand the pricing, all the info you've given me should be available online. please tell me where it is
    15:51:30 Agent Alex L
    I can assure you that the information I have provided you is correct, at this time there is not available any information to disclose upon.
    15:52:03 Customer *****
    i fail to believe that the price breakdown is not explained anywhere online. is this what you're telling me?
    15:53:01 Customer *****
    also, if this is the truth, i would like to formally register a complaint as to the confusion itr causes
    15:53:43 Customer *****
    so if it is true, please let me know who i can complain to regarding insufficient documentation and your own insufficient service in explaining why i am ineligible for manufacturer discounts
    15:54:13 Customer *****
    and for asking if i had further questions directly after i had asked you questions
    15:54:45 Agent Alex L
    I do apologize that you feel my service has been insufficient, I assure you that I have given you accurate information, I apologize for the inconvenience that the information is not available on Sprint.com all advertising elements are not public information.
    15:55:12 Customer *****
    this is not an advertising element, it is a pricing eleent
    15:55:22 Customer SANFORD
    which consumers need to know
    15:55:33 Customer *****
    i'm just asking you to back up what you've told me
    15:56:40 Agent Alex L
    The additional discount that new customers receive, is a promotional/advertising price, for new service, the additional discount is not extended to current customers. Again I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and misunderstanding this issue causes for you.
    15:57:30 Customer *****
    it is very unfortunate that current sprint customers i have spoken with have no idea they will have to pay 100 dollars more than they expect
    15:57:40 Customer *****
    and why i find it hard to believe
    15:57:54 Customer *****
    which is why i believe it must be noted somewhere
    15:58:12 Customer *****
    nowthen, who can i complain to about sprints documentation and service, as i asked
    15:59:00 Agent Alex L
    One moment please.
    15:59:58 Customer *****
    also, you aasked the following earlier:
    16:00:01 Customer *****
    "If the time between upgrades is long enough sometime the system will automatically make the current customer eligible for new customer pricing would you like me to check to see if you are eligible for new customer pricing?"
    16:00:27 Customer *****
    i would like you to check this for me, as i did not expect to pay 299 for the pre, and will not purchase it if so
    16:01:15 Agent Alex L
    I sincerely apologize for the experiences you have had. We appreciate any feedback. You can send us your feedback by going to Sprint - Contact Us and click "Email Us" under the Customer Service option.
    16:01:31 Agent Alex L
    First elementary school?
    16:01:36 Customer *****
    ok thank you, now please see above, i asked another question
    16:08:26 Agent Alex L
    Thank you for your patience
    16:09:56 Agent Alex L
    I do not see that you are eligible to receive the additional rebate that new customers receive, also be advised that the purchase of the palm pre would require you to change your plan to one of our Everything data plans, as that device does require data.
    16:10:46 Customer *****
    thanks, i already knew that, but i won't be buying it anyway since you are not offering sprint customers the best price
    16:11:02 Customer *****
    unless you are wrong, which i highly suspect you are.
    16:11:23 Agent Alex L
    I can assure you that I have provided you with the accurate information.
    16:11:32 Customer *****
    thanks, I'm off to email sprint regarding our conversation and their pricing practices
    Last edited by planetfour; 05/22/2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: fixed tags
    I'm not saying that Sprint is going to gouge old customers like you, but financially, if they have greatly more demand than supply, it makes sense for them to give it to new customers at a lower price than older ones. They already have a monthly revenue stream from you, and net adds is a big measure of how wall street views them. You going to a Pre from whatever device you have now doesn't count as a net add.

And even if the price to existing customers is $299 instead of $199, mey bet is a that a lot of existing customers will pay it. When the Pre starts shipping in larger volumes, then they will lower prices to existing users and have more deals and rate plans available, at least that's my guess.

But with low supply, they really are caring about new subs - it really helps their bottom line a lot more.
    Quote Originally Posted by planetfour View Post
    thanks for posting the chat above. I browsed to it while waiting for my sprint rep and almost directed him here

here's hoping your rep was right and mine was wrong. I tried to get everything broken down and spelled out ***** style. I presume I wasn't the ***** in this convo. I hope sprint's shoddy service doesn't end up being the albatross around Palm's neck, I've been a palm enthusiast for years.

for anyone bored and needing some rage. others, skip, sorry for the wall of text...
    Quite frankly, I don't see his response as shoddy service. He seemed to be honestly trying to help you, and you were... less than nice.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts

When a rep gets stumped like that I don't see the point of pushing that hard because all you'll get is a guy making stuff up until you're satisfied enough to hang up. And that doesn't really help when you're holding up a line of people trying to convince a store that they should honor the bad info passed by some random ex-employee.

But as for the topic, I got the same rap from multiple Sprint workers:

Existing customers will be paying more than new customers.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/22/2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Quite frankly, I don't see his response as shoddy service. He seemed to be honestly trying to help you, and you were... less than nice.
    Tell me where i was not nice. Insulted that he asked if I had any more questions immediately after I asked one? Maybe. This qualifies as shoddy service. He was trying to brush me off. Completely flabbergasted that there's no support or documentation for this surprise $100 price increase? Probably. But not nice? Never.

But this isn't about me exercising my rights as a consumer, this is about Sprint's less than clear communication.

So, after another immediate chat... (I know I didn't press as hard for documentation, but I honestly can't chat with sprint all day) Now as the face of communcation to the customer, in retrospect, if Lapri is right, then Alex's support was undoubtedly shoddy. :

6:33:40 System System
    Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Lapri L. How may I assist you today?
    16:34:21 Customer *****
    hi i'm looking to buy a pre when they come out, and i was wondering what it would cost, as an existing customer
    16:35:20 Agent Lapri L
    I will be happy to answer that for you. One moment please while I access that information for you.
    16:38:55 Agent Lapri L
    $199.99 (2-year service agreement + $100 mail-in rebate)
    16:40:18 Customer *****
    ok so thats 549 - 100 rebate = 449, so the other 250 savings is what exactly?
    16:42:15 Agent Lapri L
    If you are eligible for the $150 upgrade that means you will have to renew your contract so you would get the pre at the new customer price.
    16:42:38 Customer *****
    ok, do you know a customer service rep named alex l?
    16:42:55 Customer *****
    because he gave me completely different info less than 10 minutes ago
    16:43:12 Customer *****
    but of course i want to believe yours because its cheaper
    16:43:27 Agent Lapri L
    Was this over the phone or via chat?
    16:43:37 Customer *****
    chat
    16:44:19 Customer *****
    i'm hoping you can direct me to documentation supporting what you sahy so i don't hjave to believe in contradicting advice from sprint cust svc agents
    16:44:47 Agent Lapri L
    Sure. One moment please.
    16:44:58 Customer *****
    absolutely
    16:45:38 Customer *****
    if documentation is provided, you will get completely different survey results than what i gave alex
    16:47:50 Agent Lapri L
    SRP = $549.99 2yr = $150.00 Instant = $100.00 MIR = $100.00 Net 2ry = $199.99
    16:48:16 Customer *****
    so new customers ARE elig for MRI? because Alex L told me we weren't
    16:48:23 Customer *****
    MIR rather
    16:49:00 Agent Lapri L
    Yes you are. He was misinformed. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    16:49:27 Customer *****
    ok, thank you very much lapri, you've been a great help
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I'm not saying that Sprint is going to gouge old customers like you, but financially, if they have greatly more demand than supply, it makes sense for them to give it to new customers at a lower price than older ones. They already have a monthly revenue stream from you, and net adds is a big measure of how wall street views them. You going to a Pre from whatever device you have now doesn't count as a net add.
    Indeed, this is what I'm afraid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Existing customers will be paying more than new customers.
    I don't think so.

The $199 price includes an instant rebate and a mail in rebate.

The conversation I had with the rep I spoke with (Asian, but very good English overall) went about like this (at the end).

Sprint: Yes, you will have the same pricing as a new customer
    Me: And that pricing is ... ? (I wanted an unprompted answer)
    Sprint: $299 with the rebate
    Me: $299 with the rebate?
    Sprint: Yes sir, $299 with the rebate.
    Me: I thought it was $199?
    Sprint: That is after the mail in rebate
    Me: Oh, so it has a rebate for renewing my contract and a mail in rebate?
    Sprint: Yes sir, both rebates require a new contract, but you are eligible for both rebates
    Me: So, my net cost is going to be $199
    Sprint: Yes sir, with the applied rebate and the mail in rebate
    Me: Will you please note my account that you quoted me $199 after all applicable discounts and rebates?
    Sprint: Yes sir, I am doing that now. Is there anything else I may help you with?

At this point, I asked about ordering now (which I really figured she couldn' do). She looked it up though, and said they do not indicate any available for order yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think so.
    All the info we have is from reps and it seems pretty balanced both ways. Something in writing would be wonderful right about now.

EDIT:

OK, I guess my survey got some results. A senior service specialist just called me directly (good thing I answered 'No Caller ID' ), and stated that existing customers are indeed eligible for the MIR and mail in rebate, as well as 150 for contract renewal, putting the pricing on par with new customer pricing. So I'm taking a human voice as the winner here, and believing the 199 price. Hooray for us, boo for chat reps (sigh, when will I learn).
    Last edited by planetfour; 05/22/2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add'l info
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Sorry PlanetFour, I tend to agree with him. He was trying to honestly help. He may have even made a mistake. That does not mean "shoddy service".

If you're going to gig him on not answering your question that was posed earlier (Note, that's why they ask again, in case they've missed something), you have to gig yourself as well. He asked you an important one, that you didn't answer:

15:41:29 Agent Alex L
    If the time between upgrades is long enough sometime the system will automatically make the current customer eligible for new customer pricing would you like me to check to see if you are eligible for new customer pricing?
    15:41:39 Customer *****
    so if the additional savings are made up of instant savings and manufacturer discount, and the upgrade replaces instant savings, why would i not get the manufacturer discount?
    (my emphasis added).

Sorry, but if his mistake in missing a question = shoddy treatment, then your mistake in missing his question = shoddy treatment.

I think once he said you weren't eligible, that put a big chip on the shoulder, but that's just my opinion.

It was good that you called back.

I'm still not sure what the breakdown is on the $150 discount and "eligible for new customer pricing" issue is. I was told once before (on another new phone) that I was eligible for a $150 discount, but not new customer pricing. This time, I was told I as eligible for both. I'm beginning to wonder if it depends on how close to contract date a customer is. In other words, if you're 22 months into your contract, you get $150 credit, but no new customer pricing. If your 25 months or more into a 24 month contract (in other words, out of contract) you do.

I do agree that a clearer understanding of that issue would help things.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, but if his mistake in missing a question = shoddy treatment, then your mistake in missing his question = shoddy treatment.
    we are talking about service, not treatment.

I pay for a service. Customers are entitled to demand that service. I owe nothing to someone I'm paying to give false information, or someone giving proper information. This is what being in service is.

I got a call back because I complained about his misinformation. The system works.

edited to add

I do agree that a clearer understanding of that issue would help things.
    This is EXACTLY why inferior service must be taken to task.
    we are talking about service, not treatment.

I pay for a service. Customers are entitled to demand that service. I owe nothing to someone I'm paying to give false information, or someone giving proper information. This is what being in service is.

I got a call back because I complained about his misinformation. The system works.

edited to add

This is EXACTLY why inferior service must be taken to task.
    Oh my gosh, I think you're going to be somewhat unhappy with lots of things. No $$ amount garantees against mistakes. And again, that is why the rep ansked if all of your questions were answered.
    Okay, so, I've been following this thread and others regarding pricing, and I have a question: if I currently have a line with 20 months left on contract, and I add a new line to get the Pre for $199, could I then cancel the first line and pay the $175 cancellation fee? Thus essentially paying $375 for the Pre?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post
    Back story: I have been trying to have sprint give me the 2-yr upgrade earlier than I am eligible for (sept 1st is the actual date) in order to buy the Pre when it comes out. I left a voicemail with their escalations dept to call me back about it.

Well, they just called me back and said that Sprint has decided to take a new route with the Pre. Since it is a "new" phone, they would only be offering the 2-yr upgrade of $150 off the retail price and then the $100 rebate. Basically upgrades would be $299 AFTER the MIR. I told her that's not how the upgrades were explained to me last month and she said that it was an email/memo that they were all just given this week regarding the Pre.

The $199 after MIR is "only for new customers, not upgrades". Basically upgrades will be $399 out of the Sprint store or $299 after the rebates. Wow. Thanks, Sprint!
    Seriously can people NOT post anything based on a single CSR. Sprint specifically has such a bad reputation exactly for this reason.
  20. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Easy solution, if I'm faced with this price upgrade issue I'll simply port my number to a pay-as-u-go/prepaid srvc then just port it back & TECHNICALLY, I'll be a new activation (since that's how Sprint wants to play it). I've been out of contract since Jan '09 & I doubt Sprint will be able to justify selling the Pre for $199.99 after mail-in to a new customer & then turn around & tell me I'll have to $299.99 after mail-in. I mean, CMON SPRINT, I just finished a 2 year contract! SMDH
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast