Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I went to my local Sprint store this morning to ask about the Friday night launch of the Pre for Sprint Premier customers. When I finally got to talk to a rep (after about a fifteen minute wait) and I told him why I was there he started grinning and pulled his Pre out of his pocket and handed it to me! I lucked out that of the three employees there, he was the Pre advocate and I could tell he was dying to talk about it.

First, the only new thing I saw on the Pre was that Twitter had been added to Universal Search. He said it had just been added last night by OTA update. I looked for a video recording app in the launcher and could not see one. He said the app store would be live at launch, but he still didn't know for sure what apps would be in it initially, but he thought Facebook, Twitter, and an on-screen keyboard app would be there.

The hardware is awesome and the slider feels great. Coming from a Centro the keyboard felt really good. Overall I think they nailed the hardware: size, shape, and weight are perfect. The front is definitely a fingerprint magnet. I'll be wiping it a lot. The on/off button on the top right corner was very firm, I don't think I'll need the screen-lock function because I can't see it turning on accidently in my pocket. (He said the screen-lock could be turned off.)

There was a noticable lag when opening apps, similar to the iPhone, but slower than the Centro. Switching to already open apps was very quick though, so I'll just keep my most used apps open. I tried one pic with the camera and the response was great, it snapped instantly.

As to the Friday launch, he said "they'll be telling you this, but I guess I can go ahead and tell you now." (I think he was refering to the email that Sprint Premier customers are supposed to get.) He said they were closing at 4pm to reset all the store displays and would re-open at 6pm. He said if I wanted a Pre I should show up at the store before 4pm with a chair to wait until 6pm. They didn't have a sign-up list. He even mentioned it would be like the "iCampers" (his word) for the iPhone launch. I guess Palm/Sprint are hoping to create some of that same buzz.

The signs in the store said they were closing early on Friday because of Memorial Day weekend and didn't mention anything about the Friday night Pre launch, but they did have a few signs that pictured the Pre and just said "coming soon." I suspect you don't have to be a Premier customer to get one Friday, just that they aren't going to let the general public know about it.

Edit - One thing I forgot to mention, you have to be careful how you are holding it. I was holding it in my left hand and touching with my right index finger and it wasn't responding. Then I realized my left thumb was resting on the gesture area. Once I made sure to hold it by the edges it worked great and the touch-screen response was very nice.
    Last edited by reidme; 05/22/2009 at 10:20 AM.
    I'd say everything is accurate except for his artistic licensing on things like "full screen keyboard". I haven't been able to confirm that with ANYONE.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Thanks for the impressions.

With the obvious planning of closing down stores and re-opening, I doubt they have a shortage of phones available for purchase. I think Hesse saying they won't have enough is just a ploy. I mean, why would you wanna sell out, let's say 100K phones BEFORE the official launch date?

I think there will plenty of phones available, especially at the $299 price and because the stores are staying open 'til midnight.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S. View Post
    Thanks for the impressions.

With the obvious planning of closing down stores and re-opening, I doubt they have a shortage of phones available for purchase. I think Hesse saying they won't have enough is just a ploy. I mean, why would you wanna sell out, let's say 100K phones BEFORE the official launch date?

I think there will plenty of phones available, especially at the $299 price and because the stores are staying open 'til midnight.
    I like your thinking! Man I hope so as if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all and I would like one on the 6th (or 5th)
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I'd say everything is accurate except for his artistic licensing on things like "full screen keyboard". I haven't been able to confirm that with ANYONE.
    He said on-screen not full screen.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I like that OTA updates are being pushed out already. As far as the lag goes, I kind of noticed that (unfortunately through videos only) that it does seem to hesitate a little when opening apps. The animation of pushing the current card into the background, sliding it over, and then finally bringing up another card from the bottom does seem to take longer than it should. Was hoping (and still am) that an update will shorten this time in the near future.
    So now that twitter is in universal search, I wonder if it's in synergy. Like a way to view a contacts tweets.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    He said on-screen not full screen.
    and I accidentally typed FULL... still, I know what he meant (and so can most people who read my mix up or didn't even notice it). And I stand by my original post...
    This is great news!

So jealous, congratulations.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    and I accidentally typed FULL... still, I know what he meant (and so can most people who read my mix up or didn't even notice it). And I stand by my original post...
    I didn't ask him about the app store, he just volunteered all that. I don't know why he would make it up, but he did say he wasn't sure.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about driving to some of the sprint stores in my area and talking to them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I'm thinking about driving to some of the sprint stores in my area and talking to them now.
    Me too.

I'm such a degenerate!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    On-screen keyboard at launch?? I am now totally in love with the PRE. I have been using a Touch for the last year and Im so accustomed to not needing keys anymore, it would be so much easier for me to just have an on-screen keyboard instead of spending time going back to an actual key pad. Im really crossing my fingers now that the Radio Shack behind my house will be getting the PRE. Nothing better than getting up on the 6th and just having to walk thru my backyard to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post

The signs in the store said they were closing early on Friday because of Memorial Day weekend and didn't mention anything about the Friday night Pre launch, but they did have a few signs that pictured the Pre and just said "coming soon." I suspect you don't have to be a Premier customer to get one Friday, just that they aren't going to let the general public know about it.

I am confused, what Friday are you talking about. I assumed that you were refering to 6/5. But the above suggests that they are selling them today 5/22.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    On-screen keyboard at launch?? I am now totally in love with the PRE. I have been using a Touch for the last year and Im so accustomed to not needing keys anymore, it would be so much easier for me to just have an on-screen keyboard instead of spending time going back to an actual key pad. Im really crossing my fingers now that the Radio Shack behind my house will be getting the PRE. Nothing better than getting up on the 6th and just having to walk thru my backyard to get one.
    I assume the on-screen keyboard would be for widescreen browsing/typing. That makes me wonder if ALL the gestures will switch their orientations in widescreen mode, as well.

I'm sure card swipes will, but what about bringing up the launcher or better yet (because we know the button will initiate card view and the launcher, I think) back-swiping, y'know?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    An onscreen kb is the clincher for me. I sure hope so.
    I don't like sliders.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post
    I am confused, what Friday are you talking about. I assumed that you were refering to 6/5. But the above suggests that they are selling them today 5/22.
    My bad. The signs were about this weekend closing early, not about "Launch Friday". Sorry about the confusion.
    All this info...I like!!

I wonder if all of the Sprint stuff is making it slower? It was snappy per the early reviews. Now that its been through Sprint's hands, it seems to be slower. Then again, it was probably running a special BETA ROM.
    I hope that we are able to remove apps like sprinttv
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    An onscreen kb is the clincher for me. I sure hope so.
    I don't like sliders.
    WOW I thought I was by myself....I know for some people they need the actual keyboard and it is a big point difference between a PRE and an Iphone.

But for me, not using actual keys for over a year now, I cant really go back....if I never have to slide the PRE open its icing on the cake for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast