Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    One of the little annoyances of my 755p is that it doesn't maintain a constant internet connection. If I launch Opera or HourlyXcast or Google Maps or use pTunes to listen to an internet radio feed, there's a significant delay while it opens a connection to the internet, handshaking with Sprint, etc.

    With WebOS so tied into the cloud, I'm wondering if the Pre might maintain a constant, always-on internet connection, so that responsiveness to universal search, google maps, etc, is better.

    Have we heard anything one way or the other on this? I vaguely remember that something I heard gave me the impression this would be the case, but I'm not finding anything now to address the issue one way or the other.
  2. #2  
    "Always On" internet would kill the battery. It will still most likely shut down when not in use.
  3. #3  
    That is why the touchstone charger is great. You can leave it running all the time and not worry
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    "Always On" internet would kill the battery. It will still most likely shut down when not in use.
    Certainly this would be true if the device was constantly exchanging data packets. But would keeping the connection open necessarily drain the battery? How much data do you need to move to just maintain a connection?

    I don't understand cell phone protocols well enough to judge. The phone manages to maintain a connection to the voice network so that it can respond in real time to a phone call. And your phone can run all day keeping that connection alive.
  5. #5  
    It's not just that the data connection has to say active, it's that it has to keep the antenna active, which requires more electricity.

    Most cell phone goe into a "standby" state when not in use where they only ping the tower at set intervals, and then just listen in case the tower calls them. This is why digital phones have much longer battery life then the old analogs used to have. Analog phones had to keep the antennas more active.
  6. emuneee's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Certainly this would be true if the device was constantly exchanging data packets. But would keeping the connection open necessarily drain the battery? How much data do you need to move to just maintain a connection?

    I don't understand cell phone protocols well enough to judge. The phone manages to maintain a connection to the voice network so that it can respond in real time to a phone call. And your phone can run all day keeping that connection alive.
    My X1 maintains a data connection at all times but the battery last a day and half. I think the constant sending/receiving of data drains the battery a lot faster than just have the connection "alive".
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    It's not just that the data connection has to say active, it's that it has to keep the antenna active, which requires more electricity.

    Most cell phone goe into a "standby" state when not in use where they only ping the tower at set intervals, and then just listen in case the tower calls them. This is why digital phones have much longer battery life then the old analogs used to have. Analog phones had to keep the antennas more active.
    That sort of makes sense to me, but why can't the data connection drop into a similar standby state, with periodic pings to maintain handshaking? IP is designed to be robust with respect to intermittent connections.
  8. #8  
    If every mobile device did that, my guess is that they'd have to have a lot more towers since they'd be using two connections per device.

    Again, this part is just a guess.
  9. #9  
    FYI, I have a 755p, and it maintains its connection to the data network. I very rarely have to login to PowerVision. Pretty much only after a reset. But perhaps this is because I am using it frequently (IMAP email checking, EAS account). This doesn't seem to kill my battery life (though maybe if I would shut down the data radio it would last much longer). I consistently get a full day (6-midnight) out of my battery even though I do a good bit of surfing on it (1-2 hours per day). I expect the same from the Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  10. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FYI, I have a 755p, and it maintains its connection to the data network. I very rarely have to login to PowerVision. Pretty much only after a reset. But perhaps this is because I am using it frequently (IMAP email checking, EAS account). This doesn't seem to kill my battery life (though maybe if I would shut down the data radio it would last much longer). I consistently get a full day (6-midnight) out of my battery even though I do a good bit of surfing on it (1-2 hours per day). I expect the same from the Pre.
    +1
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FYI, I have a 755p, and it maintains its connection to the data network. I very rarely have to login to PowerVision. Pretty much only after a reset. But perhaps this is because I am using it frequently (IMAP email checking, EAS account). This doesn't seem to kill my battery life (though maybe if I would shut down the data radio it would last much longer). I consistently get a full day (6-midnight) out of my battery even though I do a good bit of surfing on it (1-2 hours per day). I expect the same from the Pre.
    My Centro on ATT, my 680 on ATT, and my 755p on Sprint always keep/kept their Internet connection "alive" because I'm a Good Messaging/Goodlink user, however data wasn't always being transferred and battery life seemed about the same on all of the devices to what it was before installing the good application when the Internet connection was not kept alive.
  12. #12  
    The delay you're seeing is probably due to the phone getting an IP address. This always takes a few seconds and really can't be helped. The IP address usually is good for a while like 30 minutes or so. After that, it has to be renewed. If you are using your data connection, the renewal will happen without you noticing it. The IP address times out quickly enough so if your phone just disappears, the network won't be tying up resources supporting a phone that is off or something.

    The actual physical 3G data connection times out after a few seconds of non usage. The reason for that is power saving.

Posting Permissions