Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I have been a member here for months, and been following the site since it's launch. I understand that this came out of "TreoCentral", but I can't help but express that there's some divide between old Palm XXX (replace with model number) users and users like myself who're coming from other devices and have never used a Palm product before.

Palm XXX users sound very apologetic to not only Palm but also Sprint, and seem to be supporting or justifying their every decision. They keep talking about Treos and Centros and moving data from those devices and / or running old apps. I therefore feel their opinion on the Pre is biased based on their loyalty to the Palm brand, where as new users see the Pre as something totally new, untested but awesome none-the-less. And for the same reasons, I feel like the likelihood of complains / annoyances from Palm XXX users is a lot higher, compared to new users.

Do you see things the same way, or feel something somewhat similar to what I described...
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I see the opposite. I see a lot of old users (myself included) that see this as Palm's last chance. We have been strung along with incremental updates for years. We were promised a lot and if Palm does not deliver then I see a lot of users moving on and not looking back.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Palm XXX users sound very apologetic to not only Palm but also Sprint, and seem to be supporting or justifying their every decision.
    Not this old guy. Palm has pretty much sucked since the Treo 650. They haven't had a good original idea since the Handspring (not Palm) Treo 600. It remains to be seen if they've finally decided to stop being their own worst enemies with the Pre, but we won't really begin to know if that's true until the July/August timeframe - after this latest attempt at redemption has been out for a couple of months.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Palm will finally reach the pinnacle, releasing hte Pre to mass appeal and being on the brink of success, only to then reveal that they're rereleasing the original Palm Pilot and starting over from new just when they reach their goal....

...wait, crap, no, that's a different thing. Sorry got distracted by webdave's awesome Icon.

Seriously, I think its to hard to really stereotype. While some old Palm users do seem very tied to their own devices, some seem to be on the edge of frustration and are yearning greatly for something new, fresh, and exciting from the company whose hardware they felt was solid but have been unhappy with aging POS or saddled down WinMo. I think both sides are a bit too diverse in views to really peg down.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I don't think most people are "apologizing" for either company. They know what they like or dislike about each. Many Palm users are lamenting some of the changes with the Pre (mostly the inability to sync locally, and memory card). However, for the most part I think the majority are VERY excited about the Pre, and are very willing to give the new OS a chance.
    As a long time Palm user, I think most Palm users are willing to put up with a lot, do a lot of tinkering with their device, and genuinely appreciate good functionality. You might get some complaints about some features that were present in previous Treos and are lacking in the Pre, but I think most of the venom has already been dispensed on those points. Mostly I think that previous Palm users will be the most happy since the Pre is such a large upgrade in so many ways.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    We have been strung along with incremental updates for years. We were promised a lot and if Palm does not deliver then I see a lot of users moving on and not looking back.
    Well, that's exactly what I meant when I said "I feel like the likelihood of complains / annoyances from Palm XXX users is a lot higher, compared to new users."
    I'm one of the xxx Palm users you're talking about. I've had 12 different devices that run Palm OS. However, I don't think that's "brand loyalty" (actually, 3 of those devices were from other companies) as much as it was "I like the OS, it works for me, and I haven't seen a reason to change".

Every new phone that came out had the same underlying problem - I'd have to give up the OS for which I had already purchased dozens of apps, many of which I still used, and I'd have to give up a familar and comfortable OS that always worked well for me.

I'll also say I'm still a big fan of the simplicity, reliability, and small footprint of Palm's OS; however, there were several things that I liked about other phones. When the iPhone came out, I was impressed with its strengths on web-related things, and its simplicity in the user interface, and the size of the screen. However, because of work concerns, I had decided to switch to a BlackBerry, and was just waiting for Sprint to get the phone I wanted.

I had even begun considering changing carriers, though that would have been a hassle since so many of my family members are on Sprint.

The the Pre was announced, and I was hooked. This was the system that finally offered enough of what I wanted in "new" to make me give up "familari, comfortable, and paid for".

Out of the box, I'm disappointed that I'm not going to have a good sync option for me. The GroupWise system I've used for years won't sync to it out of the box, and though I've got a few other email addresses, those systems are not yet ready for the Pre either. However, I have little doubt that those issues will be addressed for me shortly. Until that happens, I'll look for workarounds, and enjoy the new experiences.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well, that's exactly what I meant when I said "I feel like the likelihood of complains / annoyances from Palm XXX users is a lot higher, compared to new users."
    Well... yeah. It would be odd if it wasn't that way. If a person is switching to the Pre, especially from another carrier, they were either drawn to the Pre because they thought it was amazing, or they were disgusted by their old phone. Either way, that would be odd for them to have major complaints.

If a person has been with Palm, then the range of they are staying with Palm becomes much larger, which includes more people likely to have complaints or annoyances.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I can relate to some of that, but not exactly the way you described it.

If "Palm XXX users sound very apologetic to not only Palm ..." means I both love Plam and hate how they have handled some big important points (on going support, etc, tec.), then yes, I agree on this.

Throwing Palm and Sprint into the same bucket narrows the universe of Palm customers/users/believers you're referring to quite a bit, IMO. Palm's non-phone PDA's had (still have) a solid following.

I also think there's a big, (not all of them, but a lot), contingent of Palm phone users who still stick to the Palm PDA usage model, and because it's Palm, expect to have that usage in all their new Palm devices. That very thing happened if they went from an early HS Visor to an M500 to a Treo or Centro. That time frame (Visor to Centro) covers ten or more years, and the devices and therefore the users all kept the core applucations and usage.

The point is the Palm PDA usage model (desktop syncing with various apps, backups of all data, ease of use) is pretty strong among thouse who use it. And IMO, people cling to it (count me as one of them) with a sense that it's good, and could be more so if Palm just did something different. And they fully expect (again, count me as one of them) that this is carried forward, or better yet improved upon in some manner and carried forward.
    LOL - He said Palm XXX users - LOL

Seriously though, I don't think "apologetic" is the word to use. I've had a Palm by my side since 1999 (see the signature). I had decided to finally give up on Palm after seeing other companies take cues from the iPhone and attempt to create something better, such as the G1. It's not so much that those companies did/didn't succeed with their attempt, it's that they tried in the first place. Palm has essentially been selling the same OS since my first device back in '99. Besides having color and the device itself being better, it hasn't changed all that much!!!

I understand that when you have a highly successful product you may be leery of major changes, but there comes a point where you either step up or get stepped on. Apple came along and did some serious stepping. Palm gave no type of response except to release WinMo devices (which isn't as good as the old Palm OS as a MOBILE application IMO, let along the iPhone OS).

So to answer your question, I think it's more relief that the rantings and ravings of Palm users hadn't fell of deaf ears.
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/22/2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Typos
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    After many years, I gave up on Palm last fall because the world passed them by. Now that the Pre is coming, I'm eager to come back and give it a try. It will be very different (no sync) but I'm also now different. My needs have changed - I use gmail, google calendar, Evernote, and about 5 other cloud-based systems. The Pre has dumped the old system and embraced the new, so I'm embracing the Pre.

Oh, and of course I'm very glad that the Pre will be able to run a few specialized Palm apps that I've already paid for and which won't immediately be ready on WebOS.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I have been a member here for months, and been following the site since it's launch. I understand that this came out of "TreoCentral", but I can't help but express that there's some divide between old Palm XXX (replace with model number) users and users like myself who're coming from other devices and have never used a Palm product before.

Palm XXX users sound very apologetic to not only Palm but also Sprint, and seem to be supporting or justifying their every decision. They keep talking about Treos and Centros and moving data from those devices and / or running old apps. I therefore feel their opinion on the Pre is biased based on their loyalty to the Palm brand, where as new users see the Pre as something totally new, untested but awesome none-the-less. And for the same reasons, I feel like the likelihood of complains / annoyances from Palm XXX users is a lot higher, compared to new users.

Do you see things the same way, or feel something somewhat similar to what I described...
    Well, I'm a fairly long time PalmOS user, but I don't have much loyalty towards Palm specifically. My first PDA was a Casio WinCE device. My loyalty is to myself, my data, and the ease of doing what I need to do. If the iPhone had something like Pocket Quicken where I could track transactions on the go for easy import into my desktop Quicken, I'd probably have one of those by now. Oh, and for all the iPhone loyalists getting ready to offer me alternatives that do something else other than that, you can save your finger motions. I like Pocket Quicken because it does exactly what I want easily.

That's the thing in my world. I'm highly unlikely to switch to Sprint just for the Pre. If anyone comes up with a device that makes doing the things I do easier, I'll evaluate and decide. It doesn't matter much who makes it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    So to answer your question, I think it's more relief that the rantings and ravings of Palm users hadn't fell of deaf ears.
    You said what I feel much better than I did...
    Palm XXX users sound very apologetic to not only Palm but also Sprint, and seem to be supporting or justifying their every decision. They keep talking about Treos and Centros and moving data from those devices and / or running old apps. I therefore feel their opinion on the Pre is biased based on their loyalty to the Palm brand,
    Not this long time Palm user. I am not apologizing to any company and while the fact that the Pre is a Palm device makes it interesting to me, it isn't enough to make me actually buy it. As for Sprint, I have never been a customer of theirs and I have no plans to ever be a Sprint customer.

So I won't be buying a WebOS device anytime soon. Sprint is one deal breaker, the other deal breaker is lack of any desktop syncing. I am not convinced that the SDK model was the right way to go either but the proof of that will be in the applications.

We don't yet know if the Pre will be a sucess but one thing it has suceeded in doing is finally killing off PalmOS. TreoCentral is practically a ghost town now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am not convinced that the SDK model was the right way to go either but the proof of that will be in the applications.
    I'm guessing you mean "Synergy" model, not "SDK"??? Speaking of which, I CAN'T WAIT for the SDK to be released!!! I have a few apps in mind to build already.

Anyway, say what you will about Sprint. 2 - 5 years ago you would have been dead on! Sprint has made some major improvements in the last couple of years, especially in terms of customer service.

It was said that "Sprint services its customers well but doesn't give good customer service". Dan Hesse has done a fantastic job (so far) of fixing the customer service part. Still some ways to go, but at present day about as good as any other carrier out there. I know Sprint is now the only carries that has one unified system to manage the backend (billing, activation, tech support, etc) so there is a lot less of one person telling you one thing while another says something completely different (Pre launch excluded!!!).

They DO have the "services its customers" down pat though. I love Sprint service more than any other that I've had (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and some smaller carriers). I travel quite a bit, both on the highway and flying. The absolute last thing that ever crosses my mind is whether I'll have a signal or not. The only place I've had serious trouble is in some rural parts on Mississippi (voice signal is very week there, data almost never connects, but luckily text messages always go though).
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/22/2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Typos
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I'm guessing you mean "Synergy" model, not "SDK"??? Speaking of which, I CAN'T WAIT for the SDK to be released!!! I have a few apps in mind to build already.
    No I meant SDK. I am not particularly excited with the idea that every app has to be a "web" app with the only programming language being Javascript.