Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Remember when our favorite Roger (McNamee). Was interviewed on TV and mentioned that you could set the Pre to download maps, wikipedia articles about companies and people, etc. regarding your scheduled meeting?

Could this be one of those secret capabilities that makes Palm so secretive?

Help me out hear.

I need the Pre collective input on this.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Eh, I thought then and I still think that he was exaggerating a bit what the technology is capable of.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Eh, I thought then and I still think that he was exaggerating a bit what the technology is capable of.
    REALLY? Does not seem that hard to me. Just take the name of the company associated with a person name - do a search on that. Search on the person's name. And plot a course from where you are to the meeting location. If you move on the morning of the meeting that will make your maps out of date, but seems doable to me.

A lot of programming work, but doable.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    REALLY? Does not seem that hard to me. Just take the name of the company associated with a person name - do a search on that. Search on the person's name. And plot a course from where you are to the meeting location. If you move on the morning of the meeting that will make your maps out of date, but seems doable to me.

A lot of programming work, but doable.
    Just like marketing, you need to stop taking Roger's words so literally. What happens if there is another company with the same name? How about if the company has different offices in different cities? What if the person you're meeting isn't listed in Google? What if you're taking the train instead of driving? Many concepts might seem simple in theory, but difficult in implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Just like marketing, you need to stop taking Roger's words so literally. What happens if there is another company with the same name? How about if the company has different offices in different cities? What if the person you're meeting isn't listed in Google? What if you're taking the train instead of driving? Many concepts might seem simple in theory, but difficult in implementation.
    I would also add that although McNamee is a pretty smart guy, he's a finance guy who specializes in tech. He's not an engineer or computer scientist. I think the Pre makes the kinds of capabilities he's talking about possible because the information is exposed and available, but someone would have to do the work to make it function, and this might be impractical in the real world, as noted by Outrigger.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Just like marketing, you need to stop taking Roger's words so literally. What happens if there is another company with the same name?
    The same question could be asked about putting them in Contacts, in the first place. Clearly, there are simple ways around that possibility, like suffixes. Maybe there are more robust solutions.

How about if the company has different offices in different cities?
    I've already run across that with the Contacts I have on my 755p. I add suffixes for the different locations - city names or street names.

What if the person you're meeting isn't listed in Google?
    Google can route to locations or to specific addresses (even if the company or home isn't in their database).

What if you're taking the train instead of driving?
    Then don't use what has been PREpared for you (or don't set the device to do such things). But at least the option was there in case you needed it.

Many concepts might seem simple in theory, but difficult in implementation.
    The whole device was a challenge, but it's one that Palm conquered.

If you want a good reason to be pessimistic... Palm responded to what Roger said and gave reason to doubt some of it. I haven't read the list in a while, but maybe this was one of those areas.

If not, there's no reason to assume that "difficult in implementation" means not "doable."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I know Roger will never live down his one over zealous statement, but - he is privy to what's going on at Palm. Other than his "nobody will keep their original iPhone" statement, I tend to believe him.

This capability would not be fool proof, but it would be useful.

In 2 weeks, we'll no for sure.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    If not, there's no reason to assume that "difficult in implementation" means not "doable."
    It does, however, mean more $$$. Palm didn't specifically deny everything that McNamee said about location-aware services, but they also haven't confirmed any of it. That means you shouldn't expect it. I think there will be some level of location-aware stuff, but the real goodies will come with 3rd party apps because Palm has made the PIM data and access to GPS info available to 3rd party applications. That's the real beauty.

FYI, here's a link to the Palm press release denying some of what McNamee said. And a quote:
    With respect to the statements in the twelfth paragraph of the transcript that “there are aspects of the Pre that are unlike any phone you’ve every seen before,” “the Pre is the first one that is the next generation” and “the result is it does a lot of things the others guys don’t do,” the Palm Pre is designed to be the first phone based on the Palm webOS™ platform and as a result will have different operating characteristics and features than other phones, however; the Palm Pre is still under development and it is premature to compare its full functionality with that of other phones.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer