Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Good golly, if this is true, I hope it's gonna be a Quad-Band

    Round 2: First Palm Pre UK release date rumour on O2 | Palm webOS Blog


    @emkwan: HEAR YE HEAR YE, NEWS FROM OL LONDON TOWN! According to a slip up from an o2 retentions manager PALM Pre expected to be June18th in UK! Hmm
  2. #2  
    That's crazy. I mean I realize that the GSM and CDMA version differ a bit, but the still all need to be manufactured. So here we are, with out release date followed by news of shortages of the Pre at launch...and now they tell us that the UK is getting theirs less than 2 weeks later eventhough the GSM version was supposed to be out in the 2nd half of the year?

    I don't believe that for one moment. Something is not right. Either the shortage of units is really just a marketing ploy, or the guy that leaked the news about the UK release on June 18 is full of it!
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Good golly, if this is true, I hope it's gonna be a Quad-Band

    Round 2: First Palm Pre UK release date rumour on O2 | Palm webOS Blog


    @emkwan: HEAR YE HEAR YE, NEWS FROM OL LONDON TOWN! According to a slip up from an o2 retentions manager PALM Pre expected to be June18th in UK! Hmm
    What happen to not having enough phones. Sprint stop Bull****ing us!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    That's crazy. I mean I realize that the GSM and CDMA version differ a bit, but the still all need to be manufactured. So here we are, with out release date followed by news of shortages of the Pre at launch...and now they tell us that the UK is getting theirs less than 2 weeks later eventhough the GSM version was supposed to be out in the 2nd half of the year?

    I don't believe that for one moment. Something is not right. Either the shortage of units is really just a marketing ploy, or the guy that leaked the news about the UK release on June 18 is full of it!
    Could there be two assembly lines, one for CDMA and one for GSM???????
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Could there be two assembly lines, one for CDMA and one for GSM???????
    It's funny how you never heard from Palm that there is a shortage! I think Sprint is pissed that they don't have a exculsive with launch of the Pre and that's why Hess is not going to market it.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Could there be two assembly lines, one for CDMA and one for GSM???????
    If Palm and Sprint are so worried about not having enough phones to go around to NOT advertise the thing heavily, and if the european release was not until the second half of the year, then why on earth rush the european version and potentially limit the success of the Pre, right here!
  7. jfa1's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    #7  
    So as to expand on the sujccess oif the pre and get to the expected 2 billion dollars in sales this year. I am wondering if the gsm pre will be available unlocked so that we can get our hands on them in the US and for $549.99
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    It's funny how you never heard from Palm that there is a shortage! I think Sprint is pissed that they don't have a exculsive with launch of the Pre and that's why Hess is not going to market it.
    A). I do believe Sprint has the exclusive, Palm has announced that. Releasing a GSM model so quickly in the UK would not violate that agreement. There are always going to be a few folks in the US who'll pay whatever insane price to get a hold of a non-US model before it's released on a GSM carrier. Those numbers are so small they are not really a threat to Sprint or any carrier.

    B). Hess is not stupid, even if there's competition for the Pre, Sprint would be cutting their nose off to spite their face to not go after as many sales as they can of this great device.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    what happen to not having enough phones. Sprint stop Bull****ing us!
    m a r k e t i n g.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    A). I do believe Sprint has the exclusive, Palm has announced that. Releasing a GSM model so quickly in the UK would not violate that agreement. There are always going to be a few folks in the US who'll pay whatever insane price to get a hold of a non-US model before it's released on a GSM carrier. Those numbers are so small they are not really a threat to Sprint or any carrier.

    B). Hess is not stupid, even if there's competition for the Pre, Sprint would be cutting their nose off to spite their face to not go after as many sales as they can of this great device.
    Sprint's exclusive is US only, not world wide. O2 is a big player in the UK, and it makes sense they would be pushing for an early release too. Lots of things are involved in inventory issues. Chipsets between the phones are different, etc...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Good golly, if this is true, I hope it's gonna be a Quad-Band

    Round 2: First Palm Pre UK release date rumour on O2 | Palm webOS Blog


    @emkwan: HEAR YE HEAR YE, NEWS FROM OL LONDON TOWN! According to a slip up from an o2 retentions manager PALM Pre expected to be June18th in UK! Hmm
    From a retentions manager? Come on, how reliable could that possibly be? This just doesn't make any sense. It's not even two weeks later!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12. dansus's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #12  
    A couple of thoughts here.

    First off is that Palm no doubt want to get the Pre out to as many users as possible and the exclusive with Sprint for 6months limits its release in the US greatly.

    How to get round this? Release a gsm in Europe, then it can be imported willy nilly without breaking the sprint agreement.

    If thats not the case, doubt you will see the Pre on O2 until September at the earliest unless they are loosing their exclusive with Apple.

    Frankly i dont care who its goes with in the UK or wherever, just let me buy the phone with a gsm radio.
    .
    Last edited by Dansus; 06/03/2009 at 10:26 AM.
  13. #13  
    I would question this rumour. I know a friend who works in the local o2 store will go an see if he knows about it.

    I would be surprised if he actually knows what a Pre is!!
  14. #14  
    Nah don't believe it - Palm have consistently said the UK would get it in the second half of '09. Would like to believe it though...
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Good golly, if this is true, I hope it's gonna be a Quad-Band
    The 2G radio would certainly be Quadband. What bands the 3G radio supports is another question though.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The 2G radio would certainly be Quadband. What bands the 3G radio supports is another question though.
    This was from way back during Feb or March that a Voda branded Pre would be GSM, however, the 3G radio would not have the coveted 850 thats compatible with ATT.

    There is also no violation if this turns out to be true. Sprint is only the exclusive carrier in the US, not the world.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansus View Post
    A couple of thoughts here.

    First off is that Palm no doubt want to get the Pre out to as many users as possible and the exclusive with Sprint for 6months limits its release in the US greatly.

    How to get round this? Release a gsm in Europe, then it can be imported willy nilly without breaking the sprint agreement.

    If thats not the case, doubt you will see the Pre on O2 until September at the earliest unless they are loosing their exclusive with Apple.

    Frankly i dont care who its goes with in the UK or wherever, just let me buy the phone with a gsm radio.
    .
    As long as it's not Palm themselves importing it, they didn't violate anything. They can't stop small shops from doing so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    This was from way back during Feb or March that a Voda branded Pre would be GSM, however, the 3G radio would not have the coveted 850 thats compatible with ATT.

    There is also no violation if this turns out to be true. Sprint is only the exclusive carrier in the US, not the world.
    Telefonica and Telstra (rumoured) will get it. They need 850/1900 for South America and Australia respectively.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

Posting Permissions