Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The last Palm product I owned was the Zire71..the Prē is bringing me back.
    So, it's bringing sexy back!
    Something I've been wondering that I don't think I've seen answered anywhere, is what is the screen? Is it plastic like the htc touch pro or glass like the iphone? Is it very sensitive to touch like the iphone or does it require some pressure like the touch pro? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by festivalman View Post
    Something I've been wondering that I don't think I've seen answered anywhere, is what is the screen? Is it plastic like the htc touch pro or glass like the iphone? Is it very sensitive to touch like the iphone or does it require some pressure like the touch pro? Thanks.
    Capacitive touch means that it senses a touch by current, not by the amount of pressure. Therefore, it should be much more like the iPhone in that respect. The Touch Pro is resistive touch and that's why you need to use a stylus or fingernail or push hard against it.

I've read that it's a plastic screen, not glass, but can't confirm that since I won't have mine for another two weeks.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi, new guy here.

But a quick question, not sure if its been asked yet or not. Does the Palm Pre support voice dialing at all via Bluetooth headsets? And if it does is it record your own voice dialing tags, or voice recognition like Blackberrys?

I'm hoping its not voice recognition as my Blackberry is completely useless at understand what number I want to dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Why...what's tomorrow?
    He's being a bit pessimistic. I'd hope the Pre doesn't require charging every 24 hours
    So has the OP ever used a blackberry curve and how does the kb compare? Also something I've wondered about is how the pre handles capitalization. On my blackberry it auto capitalizes the first letter of a sentence and if there is a letter I want to capitalize on my bb if I hold down a button for a few seconds it gets capitalized, anything similar on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by dosbox View Post
    He's being a bit pessimistic. I'd hope the Pre doesn't require charging every 24 hours
    Whoa! Don't get your hopes up. I'll be happy if it ONLY needs to be recharged once every 24 hours. I'm used to charging every night with my 755p.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Capacitive touch means that it senses a touch by current, not by the amount of pressure. Therefore, it should be much more like the iPhone in that respect. The Touch Pro is resistive touch and that's why you need to use a stylus or fingernail or push hard against it.

I've read that it's a plastic screen, not glass, but can't confirm that since I won't have mine for another two weeks.
    Correct, its been confirmed its plastic, not glass.

Quote Originally Posted by RTSFirebat View Post
    Hi, new guy here.

But a quick question, not sure if its been asked yet or not. Does the Palm Pre support voice dialing at all via Bluetooth headsets? And if it does is it record your own voice dialing tags, or voice recognition like Blackberrys?

I'm hoping its not voice recognition as my Blackberry is completely useless at understand what number I want to dial.

I really hope its not recording voice tag as that is kind of obsolete. Most new smartphones have voice recognition like the one on the Blackberrys since you can also speak out numbers.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Generally speaking, smart phones require charging after a full day of use. They use a lot more juice than dumb phones.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    So has the OP ever used a blackberry curve and how does the kb compare? Also something I've wondered about is how the pre handles capitalization. On my blackberry it auto capitalizes the first letter of a sentence and if there is a letter I want to capitalize on my bb if I hold down a button for a few seconds it gets capitalized, anything similar on the pre?
    Yeah I'm wondering about this one too. I tried playing with Treo Pro, but it didn't complete a sentence (adding period) after pressing spacebar twice. It didn't capitalize as well nor corrects my spelling. Hopefully Pre will have some kind of auto corrections.

Some may call it lazy, but I call it efficient. :-P
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I am so in love with the way the Pre looks in these shots. The screen and device blend together so well, it's so cool how the top and bottom of the screen are black, it's so shiny and awesome looking.

::i need it!::
    The Pre does look like the perfect form, I just hope & pray it's not too slippery with the original battery back cover. The TouchStone will have to wait a little bit.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    The Pre does look like the perfect form, I just hope & pray it's not too slippery with the original battery back cover. The TouchStone will have to wait a little bit.
    honestly it didn't feel to slippery to be. I've gotten very use the soft touch coating but its nearly the same feel of the treo pro.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    One of the main questions for the Pre is the BATTERY LIFE. Does anyone have a clue cause no thread seems to mention how gopd or not the battery life is?
    Nobody (posting to forums anyway) knows yet.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    Google provides IMAP Idle for all users, and Palm specifically bought Chatter to understand and implement IMAP Idle. IMAP Idle provides instant notification to the device when a new email is received, the device downloads the message and then notifies the user. The end user experience is identical to push (although technically different in the implementation). I will be a bit surprised if Palm does not implement IMAP Idle after bringing IMAP Idle in house for their old OS.

What's amusing (actually frustrating now that I have an 800 instead of Chatter) to me is that Exchange supports IMAP including IMAP Idle in addition to ActiveSynch, but WinMo does not support IMAP Idle. I lost my "push" GMail when I "upgraded" to WinMo.
    Chattermail is one of the major apps that keeps me on the PalmOS platform. I think its the best mobile email solution available. However, I doubt Palm bought it to acquire knowledge of IMAP idle. Chattermail isn't the only email client which supports it.
    Man! You've been thanked 222 times. 170 in the first post alone
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Whoa! Don't get your hopes up. I'll be happy if it ONLY needs to be recharged once every 24 hours. I'm used to charging every night with my 755p.
    Yes. I would much rather charge it every night than every 24 hours.

But I agree. My Centro needs to charge every day and I will be happy if my pre makes it the whole day.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Man! You've been thanked 222 times. 170 in the first post alone
    Whoa
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Every Treo I've owned auto caps the first letter of every sentence as well as auto hyphenate (arent = aren't). For other letters that you want in caps, just hit the "uppercase" key once and then the letter you want capitalized. I'm sure the Pre will be the same...
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/22/2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Typo
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL

I said what i said because it was the end of the day for me and there had been no mention of what the battery life was like. I was hoping that there would be a reply to how it held up the next day...

I am being pessimistic mostly because of all the reviews of what type of battery is in the Pre and the amount of power it will use with it being so heavily reliant on data. Charging every night is already normal for me... so i would hope that that's the least amount of charging i will have to do.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast