Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is this all a hoax put out by sprint to create frenzy that day????

Surely they are not dumb enough to only make 30,000 of these available that day?????
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    I believe the number is more around 375,000 which is still rather low for a flagship release.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    it worked out well for nintendo.
  4.    #4  
    Its different with cell phones though... There are sooooo many other choices....

When the Wii came out it was just that and xbox 360....

If someone has to wait for a pre they might just go elsewhere (ahem... att...)
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    That should be enough, for the initial launch.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I heard that they are only going to have 3,000 units at launch.
    That's what I was thinking. They're trying to protray Pre demand larger than it is and locking in customer before the new iPhone comes out.

If the Pre was going to be in short supply, then Palm would have limited initial distribution to Sprint Stores.

In all honesty, to the general public, the Pre's just another smart phone. Apple had apple fans (other Apple products) to build up the orginal iPhone's hype. And it was sexy which really sold a lot of non-smart phone users.
    This is a marketing strategy, yes. While we don't know what's been going on behind the scenes, I don't understand how inventory can be SO LOW when they were showing off what was damn close to the final product 5 months ago.
    I think its good to have a limited supply for a while, limited supply = more press. But they have to build up their stock fast other wise we all know what will happen... We will have a public riot on our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I heard that they are only going to have 3,000 units at launch.
    I heard 300 for release. or was it 30?
    IMO - they will copy and follow the Apple iphone launch model whatever that is/was as best they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Yes, 300 Pre vs. the multitude of upcoming iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machjuan View Post
    That should be enough, for the initial launch.
    It should for a normal release of a similar flagship phone but when your boasting this phone to be a heavy hitter in the market and looking to take customers back from your competitors you dont want to create a shortage that could backfire on you.

Take the wii for example; Nintendo knew the wii couldnt compete with the 360 or ps3 graphic wise so they were boasting the "wii experience." If palm and sprint boasted the experience of webOS with synergy bringing the experience full circle. Easy cell phone integration between all of your favorite web experiences for personal and business use with you everywhere.

My 2cents
    Scarcity Close - A sales ploy in which a product or service is made to appear scarce in order to increase its apparent value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Scarcity Close - A sales ploy in which a product or service is made to appear scarce in order to increase its apparent value.
    they should release it as a limited edition so when we get our pre it would be labeled #300 of 3000.. imagine what the #1 phone would sell for on ebay..
    Quote Originally Posted by Agibbs996 View Post
    Yes, 300 Pre vs. the multitude of upcoming iPhone.
    We know how that turned out. There's always a goat path.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    We know how that turned out. There's always a goat path.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    You cannot compare phones to gaming consoles sales. It just doesnt work that way with everything. Yes the Wii was less powerful than the 360 and the PS3, but each of those companies have a huge fanboy following that are upgrading from their old system to the companies new one at launch. When it comes to phones you have a variety of phones coming out each month. I think demand will come a bit after launch when the phone becomes more popular. And no nintendo did not do this on purpose, they did have a limited supply but it was all due to the IBM and ATI not having much chipsets available.
    I LOVE how many conspiracy theorists there are on this site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Actually, on day one (6/6) they will only have 1/3 of the device available for each person. This will be the box. Once you get the empty box, you will be entitled to get on the waiting list for the battery which will be available two weeks later. Finally in an additional 2 more weeks the device itself will be available only to those who found a way to charge the battery they received with no power cord or device to charge it in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast