Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcelite View Post
    I want the pre but the new iPhone seems to have everything, & in its 3rd generation.
    * 32GB and 16GB storage (up from the current 16GB and 8GB models)
    * $199 and $299 price points to be maintained
    * 3.2-megapixel camera (up from the current 2-megapixel camera)
    * Video-recording and editing capabilities
    * Ability to send a picture & video via MMS
    * Discontinuation of the metal band surrounding the edge of the device
    * OLED screen
    * 1.5 times the battery life of the current models
    * Double the RAM and processing power
    * Built-in FM transmitter
    * Apple logo on back will glow
    * Rubber-tread backing
    * Sleeker design
    * Built-in compass
    * The camera, GPS, compass and Google map combined will identify photo and inform about photo locations
    * Turn-by-turn directions

Next iPhone to launch July 17 with OLED display and glowing Apple logo?
    Daring Fireball: The Next iPhone

I think this guy nails down what to really expect in the new iphone.

OLED not even mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom View Post
    What the Wii created was a huge word-of-mouth campaign that Sprint/Palm can also capitalize without much advertising. I remember when I got the Wii, the wait was unbelievable and prices were double/triple the sale price. A few friends played with it and were hooked, so they all bought one or two for themselves and friends. They didn't even seen much ads nor had any interest in games or Nintendo. Not to say this would work in every situation and having to wait weeks to get one might actually do more harm than good in this competitive market.
    Exactly! What most people dont remember is that Nintendo was in a similar financial boat as palm where they were almost pushed to be a third party developer like sega. I guess my history teacher in high school was right, we can learn from the past...
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamMcNeeley View Post
    Exactly! What most people dont remember is that Nintendo was in a similar financial boat as palm where they were almost pushed to be a third party developer like sega. I guess my history teacher in high school was right, we can learn from the past...
    Wii is a very different situation. The game in mobiles is subscriptions. The game in consoles is residuals from game sales.

Also Wii shortages hurt Wii sales short medium and long term, they did not help one iota. It is a myth that they did and you can bet Nintendo would have preferred adequate supply.

Wii was a breakout device despite shortage for reasons having nothing to do with availability but having to do with the fact that it had wide appeal beyond the 12 to 25 year old males. My wife said: "let's get one." She was not motivated by shortage. But but the breakthrough adn unique broadening for the game console market wii represented because of its desing, games and function.

Interestingly Pre stands to widen smartphone appeal in the same way, although Apple widened it from BB WM type technophiles first, pre may well one up them.

Pre can do what Wii did -- but this is despite both having screwed up and harmful early shortage.

So desire among technophiles or status seekers for the Pre will be heightened as a side effect of the manufacturing screw up, and that will be exploited by the marketers at Palm, the shortage itself is unintentional and harmful. Things change too quickly now. Your phone -- no matter how hot -- is a dog in six months.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    So desire among technophiles or status seekers for the Pre will be heightened as a side effect of the manufacturing screw up, and that will be exploited by the marketers at Palm, the shortage itself is unintentional and harmful. Things change too quickly now. Your phone -- no matter how hot -- is a dog in six months.
    Your complete post was very well said. :-)
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Pre can do what Wii did -- but this is despite both having screwed up and harmful early shortage.

Well said,
    another similarity , wii didn't start advertising with a bang. It started as the weakest of the three ( PS3, XBOX 360) on tech specs , but it beat them in sales because of the mass appeal for all age groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Daring Fireball: The Next iPhone

I think this guy nails down what to really expect in the new iphone.

OLED not even mentioned.
    New cpu and double the RAM is good enough for me. Been enjoying the push notifications on my iPhone running the latest beta. Apple, needs to do something with the notification system though.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123