Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think Palm is missing a GREAT opportunity, it actually makes me sad, I think Palm can really use it, and think they are starting to show their true/old colors...

Today’s the day you’ve all been waiting for! Today is the day that we announce preDevCamp! With the release of the Pre on June 6th, we figured we’d give you a week to compose yourselves. Therefore, preDevCamp will be on Saturday June 13th.

Unfortunately, this fantastic piece of news is tainted. We’ve fought an uphill struggle with Palm as they tried to make up their minds as to whether they wanted to support this community or not. Unfortunately, Palm doesn’t quite understand the value of a community like preDevCamp and, having cut back and forth for quite some time, have finally made it clear that they have no interest in actively supporting preDevCamp.

In the end communities are made of individuals, and everyone involved is entitled to their opinion. Rather than bring all of that here, we have all explained our individual views and positions in regard to Plam on our personal blogs:
    Giovanni: the agency blog: Palm Just Doesn't Get It...
    Whurley: whurley | evil genius ™ | Exit whurley Stage Left
    Dan: preDevCamp - Palm’s missed opportunity | All Geekness Great and Small

Rest assured that the resources needed will be available to the community to ensure that it does not suffer due to Palm’s indifference. Just remember that regardless the various opinions of Palm, you are entitled to your own.

We’re excited to see what you guys come up with. There’s a lot of talent and enthusiasm out there and preDevCamp is still the largest development camp in history.
    That's lame of them, but shouldn't really make a difference to users in the end.
    Thats pretty disheartening since they were supposedly all for making an enviorment where they were able to reach a broader spectrum of developers to have as many new applications possible for its webOS. Seems like a no-brainer to let a community of talented people get together only asking for your support to back their creative endevours only to turn your back on them.
  4.    #4  
    This Blog post says it all...

New Palm? Old Stupidity! « PrePoint
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Odd.
    Well, the way I take the statements is: basically, Apple also refused to support the iPhoneDevCamps, but that was okay because the organizers expected it of Apple. It's not okay that Palm didn't support them, though, because it seemed for awhile like they might.

Same result, as far as I can see. And certainly, it seems at first blush like it would be a good idea for Palm to support this community, but then again: does this community necessarily include all of those developers who've be committed from the beginning to the Pre platform? Does it include all of the previous Palm developers who might not be interested in this kind of "open source" movement?

I honestly don't know. Then again, I don't know that much about the preDevCamp events either.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    What do you do at a Dev Camp without an SDK?
    im sure its either a money problem or as someone else mentioned they have their own developers community in mind.
    I thought the whole point of these is that they were a grassroots effort anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I thought the whole point of these is that they were a grassroots effort anyway.
    Precisely. It sounds like they just got their hopes up. Particularly when the one gent implied that it would have been selling out if they'd accepted financial assistance from Palm in the first place.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Yeah, that was my first thought when they announced these as well.
    I'm thinking they have their own dev community.

Not a big deal really....the other group will do great things as well I think.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The devCamps begin a few weeks after the launch. Theoretically, the SDK will be released on or about the time of the device launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, that was my first thought when they announced these as well.
    I thought some people have it during the limited release....

besides, there is a lot you can do/work on without the sdk. Early code, ideas, art etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I thought some people have it during the limited release....

besides, there is a lot you can do/work on without the sdk. Early code, ideas, art etc.
    Clearly since we haven't heard a peep, the people who do have it can't talk about it. And anyone who has a really great idea that they're going to use won't talk about it, because they'll want to sell it themselves.

Since it's Javascript/CSS/HTML and we do have half of the book out so far, there's clearly work that can be started... it just doesn't make any sense to waste the effort to organize these when there's not an official SDK yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The devCamps begin a few weeks after the launch. Theoretically, the SDK will be released on or about the time of the device launch.
    I hope you're right, but the completed book isn't out until August, so it's been speculated that that is when the SDK will see a full release as well.
    wowza, looks like I have a lot of reading to do tonight, that's what I get for being offline for a day. At first blush I'm not entirely clear on the timeline or on why ties need be severed here. Sadly, it looks like a mess.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Short-and-sweet version of what happened:

preDevCamp leadership tweeted about the date of their planned meeting with Palm (to be held on 5/20, at which time the release date would be revealed to them) and Palm saw this as a breach of the NDA they had signed regarding the Pre release date. Palm then canceled the meeting and distanced themselves from preDevCamp.

Huge overreaction on Palm's part, in my opinion, since they announced the date to the public in a press release the day before the planned meeting anyway.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    For all they know, they could've had a lot more planned to reveal to them than just the release date. And, as minor as it might be to tweet that they had a meeting, chances are that it violated the NDA (though obviously I'd have to see that to know for sure). With that being the case, maybe the people at Palm decided it wasn't worth bringing them into the fold?
    Didn't Sprint invite developers awhile back to checkout webOS?
    Dieter, I agree - a huge mess. You do not treat a grassroots movement behind your make-or-break product in this way. Its ok to say "No thanks, you go ahead without us" but there are some deliberate shenanigans going on with regard to the alleged broken NDA. Palm handled this very poorly. They had a huge chance to one-up Apple by supporting this time of movement, and chose another path altogether. Massive fail whale.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast