1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    So in anticipation of having to deal with Synergy I just set up my Google Calendar (which I will basically be starting from scratch) with my iCal (which I'd much rather use as my calendar app while at my desk). The calendar sync itself seems to work fine but my concern is with what I know now as categories but what I guess I will have to soon know as different calendars. First of all, I followed the instructions at Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help and under "Delegates" my main calendar didn't show up and I had to create a new one. But then when I went back to the iCal screen my main calendar was there under "Google Calendars" and the new one I'd delegated was under Delegates, and had sub-item with its same name. When I create a new calendar in Google, it looks like the only way I can get it to show up in iCal is to select it as a new delegate.

So here are the issues:

1. If I create a calendar in iCal under "Google Calendars" or under one of the delegates, it sort of lets me, but then every once in a while (pretty frequently) it will tell me something like "Calendar cannot be found" and then shortly after, the calendar and any events disappear from iCal.

2. Also, I can't switch calendars in iCal. Right now I have my one google calendar and two delegates (all created as tests from scratch) and no matter where I put an event, its own calendar is the only one selectable after I edit it.

The simple answer is that if I want to create calendars or reassign events to other calendars I have to do it through Google, which really isn't a big deal, but I'd really prefer to stick to iCal and I'm guessing that someone with more experience than I (since mine is about 30 minutes) will know how to do it.

Speaking of all that, does anyone know how this stuff is organized on the Pre? I know you have your Google and Facebook separate, but are separate Google calendars treated as separate as well?
    EDIT: Of course the answer is research and in the gallery on Palm's website you can see the page where you select the calendars to view. There is a list for "Google" but there is also a list for "Work" and under it there's a calendar called "EAS". I feel like I've heard that term thrown around and I'm guessing it's some other protocol like Outlook or Exchange or something? Otherwise it would appear that "Work" is a user-created cloud, or something?

It also occurred to me that I saw somewhere (I think it was in the fine print on Sprint's Pre page) something about a Palm account, and I was thinking that maybe Palm has its own cloud so that you don't have to migrate from Palm Desktop to a whole other service (once you upload your original Palm Desktop content). Does that make any sense to anyone?

Any other similar questions I should be asking? Thanks for the help as always.
    Last edited by tuz; 05/21/2009 at 04:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Drag and drop the events onto the calendar you want them in, especially if they are pre-existing calendars.

Solved many of my problems....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Drag and drop the events onto the calendar you want them in, especially if they are pre-existing calendars.

Solved many of my problems....
    thanks for this! I had that that with the delegates we wouldn't be able to switch calendars without deleting the event and recreating it under the other calendar, so this really helps!

Quick/stupid question, I know how to select multiple calendar items, but how do I apply the same action to all of them? For example I'll select 3 different appointments, and when I try to drag them to a different calendar, it will only switch the one of them (the one I click).
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    .......Quick/stupid question, I know how to select multiple calendar items, but how do I apply the same action to all of them? For example I'll select 3 different appointments, and when I try to drag them to a different calendar, it will only switch the one of them (the one I click).
    Not stupid at all. Hold down the command <apple> key. select all the iCal events you want (by clicking on them with a mouse) then you can copy them. deslect your old iCal cal, and select your new gcal (in iCal) and just paste. That way you still have your old cal just in case. Remember it will take a couple of minutes to upload big changes.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I started out using CalDav, but I ditched it and now use Google Cal. In order to give Google Cal an "app" look, I use Fluid to make Google Cal its own "application" complete with its own icon. Same for Address Book.. I use Google Contacts with Fluid, etc etc Google Docs etc etc Gmail etc etc.

The more things you sync across the more chances you have for a mistake.
  6. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I started out using CalDav, but I ditched it and now use Google Cal. In order to give Google Cal an "app" look, I use Fluid to make Google Cal its own "application" complete with its own icon. Same for Address Book.. I use Google Contacts with Fluid, etc etc Google Docs etc etc Gmail etc etc.

The more things you sync across the more chances you have for a mistake.
    That sounds really interesting. But what the hell is Fluid!? lol

And thank you so much, akula34, what an easy answer!

By the way, the CalDav page at google says that it is a "known issue" that you can't create new calendars in iCal.

But the ability to switch calendars is a big help! And I wonder if you can create a new Google calendar on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post

By the way, the CalDav page at google says that it is a "known issue" that you can't create new calendars in iCal.

But the ability to switch calendars is a big help! And I wonder if you can create a new Google calendar on the Pre.
    Fluid is a program used to make a SSB (site specific browser).

"Using Fluid, you can create SSBs to run each of your favorite WebApps as a separate Cocoa desktop application. Fluid gives any WebApp a home on your Mac OS X desktop complete with Dock icon, standard menu bar, logical separation from your other web browsing activity, and many, many other goodies."
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post

My pleasure! These forums have saved me numerous hours of frustration in the past. I'm glad I could pass it on!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  9. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Fluid is a program used to make a SSB (site specific browser).

"Using Fluid, you can create SSBs to run each of your favorite WebApps as a separate Cocoa desktop application. Fluid gives any WebApp a home on your Mac OS X desktop complete with Dock icon, standard menu bar, logical separation from your other web browsing activity, and many, many other goodies."
    That's interesting...but it's still the web? I'll have to check this out...