1.    #1  
    There aren't "exit" or "quit" buttons to be seen, and the only physical button calls the cards up. If I'm running 4 apps and I don't want to quit them, is there a way to go back to the home/wallpaper screen or do I have to quit all 4 apps?

I haven't seen anything on this.

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

center button press?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    There aren't "exit" or "quit" buttons to be seen, and the only physical button calls the cards up. If I'm running 4 apps and I don't want to quit them, is there a way to go back to the home/wallpaper screen or do I have to quit all 4 apps?

I haven't seen anything on this.

Thank you.
    I think the home/wallpaper screen you're thinking of is sort of the desktop behind all your open cards. When you hit the center button to go into card view, you see the wallpaper image underneath them. I don't think it's a program or screen per se, it's the backdrop on which other things appear.

All that by way of saying, I suspect the way to get back to that screen is as you speculate: quit all your open apps. There may be a menu item or something to do so in one swell floop, but to see it, I think you need to close everything else.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Are you just wanting to see the wallpaper? I don't think there's anyway to do that, although I suppose you could just keep a copy of the pic in your photo album. (Or do you mean how to get to the launcher to get to a new program?... because I'm not sure I understand the need to go to the wallpaper)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I was thinking about this. If they do also come out with a home screen option, one where you display many widgets, that would sort of be like a card that is open all the time, it would be nice to have a dedicated gesture to get to it.

If they didn't any such widget option, then there would be no point to that sort of a feature (going back to home screen).
    i think you press the center button...right?
    You hit the center button.
    I do know what you mean, in the iPhone or in the iPod Touch you get to the home screen which is also the launcher by pressing the center button, but the downfall is that it quits the apps; so Palm made a nice move by making the home screen and the launcher separate.
    The cards are in the home screen. If you don't want any cards in your home screen, you exit them. If you want to go to the launcher you go through the home screen, OR you can just bring in the wavy bar that comes from your hand motion.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Are you just wanting to see the wallpaper? I don't think there's anyway to do that, although I suppose you could just keep a copy of the pic in your photo album. (Or do you mean how to get to the launcher to get to a new program?... because I'm not sure I understand the need to go to the wallpaper)
    It's not that I just want to look at the wallpaper, just say that I have 4 apps open and I'm listening to music and I have a calender open to look at while I'm typing an email about scheduling a meeting. If I decide I want to handle this later for whatever reason, I just want to know if there's a way to go back to the homescreen with the apps still running so I can just leave the phone in it's default state, like on Blackberrys when you hit the red key. You're on the desktop but the apps are still running in the background for when you want to use them again.

It's not a deal breaker at all, but I was just wondering if you could put all the apps to the side and just hang out on the main home screen or not. It's difficult to explain why I would want to do this, but I do it on my Blackberry often. It's not a big deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    You hit the center button.
    I do know what you mean, in the iPhone or in the iPod Touch you get to the home screen which is also the launcher by pressing the center button, but the downfall is that it quits the apps; so Palm made a nice move by making the home screen and the launcher separate.
    The cards are in the home screen. If you don't want any cards in your home screen, you exit them. If you want to go to the launcher you go through the home screen, OR you can just bring in the wavy bar that comes from your hand motion.
    That clears it up. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    i think you press the center button...right?
    I remember seeing this in video presentations, the center button took them back to the "desktop" / "card view".
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    If you're in an app and you press the home button, then you get card view.

If you're in card view and you press the button then you get the applications stage, which has multiple scene's showing your icons for the applications you have installed.

You get the same effect if you gesture up and release. It used to be that the gesture up and release brought up the Applications Stage immediately, but at some point during development that changed, or that's how I remember it.

If you gesture up and hold, then you get the quick launch wave.

Have we forgotten what happens in the video's so soon?
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    I was thinking about this. If they do also come out with a home screen option, one where you display many widgets, that would sort of be like a card that is open all the time, it would be nice to have a dedicated gesture to get to it.

If they didn't any such widget option, then there would be no point to that sort of a feature (going back to home screen).
    I'd almost guarantee that there will never be any widgets like you're thinking on the Pre. I'd bet anything for a homescreen option would just be taken care of by applications that only live in the dashboard/ notification area.

Aka, you could easily have a weather application that lived down there to display the weather, but based on the fact that the WebOS book says you need applications to always have SOMETHING open, whether it's a card or a notification, there won't be widgets that just appear in the background like Android (and as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing, Android is visually a mess.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post

If you're in card view and you press the button then you get the applications stage, which has multiple scene's showing your icons for the applications you have installed.

You get the same effect if you gesture up and release. It used to be that the gesture up and release brought up the Applications Stage immediately, but at some point during development that changed, or that's how I remember it.

Off topic...
    Interesting lectures in your signature.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  13.    #13  

I didn't forget what happens, I'm asking about something I've never seen and if anyone else happened to see it or if I'm correct in thinking the Pre won't do it.
    It's not that I just want to look at the wallpaper, just say that I have 4 apps open and I'm listening to music and I have a calender open to look at while I'm typing an email about scheduling a meeting. If I decide I want to handle this later for whatever reason, I just want to know if there's a way to go back to the homescreen with the apps still running so I can just leave the phone in it's default state, like on Blackberrys when you hit the red key. You're on the desktop but the apps are still running in the background for when you want to use them again.

It's not a deal breaker at all, but I was just wondering if you could put all the apps to the side and just hang out on the main home screen or not. It's difficult to explain why I would want to do this, but I do it on my Blackberry often. It's not a big deal though.

That clears it up. Thanks.
    Also, if you want to display the home screen with your apps running go to the launcher instead, I mean the home screen is just a background image and the shortcut bar, what's cool about that
    If I am correct, Palm made the home screen just for the purpose of multi-tasking, and the launcher also shows the shortcut bar.

Yep watch the most emailed video on this site and that is what you will find :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Also, if you want to display the home screen with your apps running go to the launcher instead, I mean the home screen is just a background image and the shortcut bar, what's cool about that
    If I am correct, Palm made the home screen just for the purpose of multi-tasking, and the launcher also shows the shortcut bar.
    That's true. I was just thinking for when I put my phone away, I'm conditioned to going to the home screen and then locking it even if I want/have apps still running. But all the functionality is there in the Pre, so it's all good.
    just open the picture app, and when u want to see the wallpaper just open the picture app

If you're in card view and you press the button then you get the applications stage, which has multiple scenes showing your icons for the applications you have installed.
    Someone's been reading "Developing Applications in JavaScript using the Palm Mojo".
    That's true. I was just thinking for when I put my phone away, I'm conditioned to going to the home screen and then locking it even if I want/have apps still running. But all the functionality is there in the Pre, so it's all good.
    Much about the pre is thinking differently than your use to.

First of all - the reason someone WANTS apps open together is because you are using them and switching between them.

If you are done using them, close them.

If you want to leave music playing, leave that one open.

There is no conceivable practical reason to want to keep a bunch of apps open but stare at a blank walpaper screen at the same time, other than some OCD need to see a clean screen (no offense meant).