Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    IS the following statement true: I can sync my blackberry with Outlook (notes, mail, contacts, etc.) and then activate the pre and synch it to Outlook and all of my information will be loaded on to the pre.

I know it's a little early for this question, but the answer to it will actually determine how I buy my phone. I'll either need a rep to activate it and transfer over all my contacts and stuff. Or I can just do it at home myself. If it's the former that means no telesales.

So just trying to plan ahead. Any answers are appreciated. Basically just trying to figure out how I port my information onto the Pre.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    IS the following statement true: I can sync my blackberry with Outlook (notes, mail, contacts, etc.) and then activate the pre and synch it to Outlook and all of my information will be loaded on to the pre.

I know it's a little early for this question, but the answer to it will actually determine how I buy my phone. I'll either need a rep to activate it and transfer over all my contacts and stuff. Or I can just do it at home myself. If it's the former that means no telesales.

So just trying to plan ahead. Any answers are appreciated. Basically just trying to figure out how I port my information onto the Pre.
    If by "Outlook" you mean Exchange then yes it is that easy. Pre supports ActiveSync so you would sync your BB with Exchange via BES and then sync your Pre with Exchange via ActiveSync and you're up and running.
    From the 8 bazillion answers and threads I've seen on this, I am convinced of one thing --- nobody knows. I'm just gonna wait and not do anything too time consuming (for syncing stuff) until the Pre comes out.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    If by "Outlook" you mean Exchange then yes it is that easy. Pre supports ActiveSync so you would sync your BB with Exchange via BES and then sync your Pre with Exchange via ActiveSync and you're up and running.
    Cool! Thanks for the reply. I'm not using BES at the moment, just BIS and "Desktop Manager," but as long as the Pre syncs up with ActiveSync (I'm new to Palm) then I'm a happy man. And I can buy via telesales.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    From the 8 bazillion answers and threads I've seen on this, I am convinced of one thing --- nobody knows. I'm just gonna wait and not do anything too time consuming (for syncing stuff) until the Pre comes out.
    I hear you. I haven't really thoroughly read those posts because it seems like people are talking about Enterprise-wide problems or problems with non-mainstream platforms.

Without even beginning to be able to explain why I think so, I have to assume that any modern smartphone can sync to Outlook. In fact it is BECAUSE of the bazillion threads that I even felt the need to ask. Not knocking the discussion, though, since it is still interesting stuff.
    I hear you. I haven't really thoroughly read those posts because it seems like people are talking about Enterprise-wide problems or problems with non-mainstream platforms.

Without even beginning to be able to explain why I think so, I have to assume that any modern smartphone can sync to Outlook. In fact it is BECAUSE of the bazillion threads that I even felt the need to ask. Not knocking the discussion, though, since it is still interesting stuff.
    Sorry, pal, the fine print on Palm's website says that the Pre will be able to synch to Outlook only via Exchange. If you're not using an Exchange server, you won't be able to sync directly to Outlook. It's likely that there will be a third party solution, and Companionlink offers something that uses Google as an intermediary, but it seems you can not get there directly.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sorry, pal, the fine print on Palm's website says that the Pre will be able to synch to Outlook only via Exchange. If you're not using an Exchange server, you won't be able to sync directly to Outlook. It's likely that there will be a third party solution, and Companionlink offers something that uses Google as an intermediary, but it seems you can not get there directly.
    Wow. No wonder there have been so many threads on this topic. That is ridiculous to the point that I wouldn't buy a pre after all. I will be using it for work (much like a bb). I'm kind of blown away that any smartphone made today (or five years ago) wouldn't do this. So... this has got to be a deal-breaker for many.

Of course I have the feeling that I am probably repeating other posts right now. Time for me to get use the search function I guess.
    Not that palm's desktop sync was supported that well. A third party app might actually be superior. Still, it's something Palm should provide out of the box...IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    Its very well known that the Pre will not support any form of Desktop syncing and will support MS Exchange sync at least for contacts and calendar. This does mean that BIS Blackberry users are out of luck of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its very well known that the Pre will not support any form of Desktop syncing and will support MS Exchange sync at least for contacts and calendar. This does mean that BIS Blackberry users are out of luck of course.
    Exchange will work with email, contacts, calendar, and tasks. Those have all be confirmed. I don't think anyone has heard anything about memos.

Users who have an Exchange server (this has got to be north of 90% of everyone who works in corporate America) won't be out of luck if their IT folks allow syncing--I believe that is the standard configuration for Exchange (OWA and ActiveSync). It's very slick, it uses a secure connection, and you can remotely wipe your device if you lose it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11.    #11  
    edited my original post

Its very well known that the Pre will not support any form of Desktop syncing... This does mean that BIS Blackberry users are out of luck of course.
    IMO that means everyone wanting to use the phone as a business tool is out of luck. Well, everyone not on an exchange server. And anyone that IS on an exchange server is going to be issued a blackberry anyway, right? I mean, good luck getting your IT department to link your newly released personal phone to the ES.

Funny thing is, I'll probably still buy it. It's not a business phone but it's still pretty darn cool. I really don't know what I'll do about emails, contacts, and notes though. I can't really emphasize how much of a problem that is to a lot of business users. Like, anyone in the world who is a consultant or contractor.

Users who have an Exchange server (this has got to be north of 90% of everyone who works in corporate America) won't be out of luck if their IT folks allow syncing.
    That's the problem as I see it. I can't imagine very many IT departments that will will allow a user to link a personal phone, especially a newly released one, to the corporate server. I'm not saying I have all the answers though. I hope you are right.
    Last edited by Sprockethead; 05/21/2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    IMO that means everyone wanting to use the phone as a business tool is out of luck. Well, everyone not on an enterprise server. And anyone that IS on an enterprise server is going to be issued a blackberry anyway. Good luck getting your IT department to link your newly released personal phone to the ES.

Funny thing is, I'll probably still buy it. It's not a business phone but it's still pretty darn cool. I really don't know what I'll do about emails, contacts, and notes though. I can't really emphasize how much of a problem that is to a lot of business users. Like, anyone in the world who is a consultant or contractor.
    This is really no different than any other phone. If you want to read your corporate email on an iPhone, you need to be on ActiveSync with Exchange. You can sync your calendar and contacts with iTunes but you can do the same by using Google Sync desktop agent (Microsoft recommends this tool) and syncing with Google to your Pre. If your organization is locked into the Blackberry infrastructure and won't allow ActiveSync then you're pretty well SOL if you want seamless integration with any other phone besides Blackberries.

I know for Contacts and calender, you can download the Google Sync app to your BB and it'll sync that with Google Contacts and Google Calender.

As for your notes and emails, I'm not sure. I suspect the Pre will pull the last 20(for example) emails when you set up your accounts, but no one has this answer for show.

As for notes, you probably need to email them over. But Contacts and Calender is simple.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    As for Notes...and I use this on my iPod Touch...I would recommend forgoing Outlook Notes and move into the Cloud with Evernote. It's really sweet and I'm almost positive they will have an app at or near launch.
    That's the problem as I see it. I can't imagine very many IT departments that will will allow a user to link a personal phone, especially a newly released one, to the corporate server. I'm not saying I have all the answers though. I hope you are right.
    I don't know--a lot of people use Windows Mobile phones--they use Active Sync. Depends on your company I suppose, but there isn't (in my opinion) a compelling reason not to allow such a thing, provided the connection is secure. I can't think of why the BB server would be more secure. But IT departments often operate in policy world, which rarely has much to do with logic. I'm very thankful I work for a small company with IT staff that truly understand security. ActiveSync is our preferred sync'ing because it is a lot more reliable and cost effective than BB stuff.
  16.    #16  
    I've been using my little blackberry for years. Whenever I ran into a company that wouldn't let me on the BES, I would just redirect my emails using BB Internet Server, and when that wasn't an option, I just manually synced it up every once in a while. I always assumed that all the other smartphones out there did the same thing and I'm surprised at the lack of options.

But like I said before, I'm probably still going to buy the thing because it's just so darn cool!
    I've been using my little blackberry for years. Whenever I ran into a company that wouldn't let me on the BES, I would just redirect my emails using BB Internet Server, and when that wasn't an option, I just manually synced it up every once in a while. I always assumed that all the other smartphones out there did the same thing and I'm surprised at the lack of options.
    I understand--it's hard not to look at it as a lack of capability. But I think Palm believes they're leaving the old behind and moving into the future. I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised and able to get to your information on the Pre.
    I don't know--a lot of people use Windows Mobile phones--they use Active Sync. Depends on your company I suppose, but there isn't (in my opinion) a compelling reason not to allow such a thing, provided the connection is secure. I can't think of why the BB server would be more secure. But IT departments often operate in policy world, which rarely has much to do with logic. I'm very thankful I work for a small company with IT staff that truly understand security. ActiveSync is our preferred sync'ing because it is a lot more reliable and cost effective than BB stuff.
    Our company only allows access to the corporate exchange servers via company issued Blackberries. There are many good reasons for this. They can lock down the BBs (no access to external mail), remote wipe them and the exchange servers have limited access to the public internet. Support costs are also lower with one basic type of end user device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    This is really no different than any other phone. If you want to read your corporate email on an iPhone, you need to be on ActiveSync with Exchange. You can sync your calendar and contacts with iTunes but you can do the same by using Google Sync desktop agent (Microsoft recommends this tool) and syncing with Google to your Pre. If your organization is locked into the Blackberry infrastructure and won't allow ActiveSync then you're pretty well SOL if you want seamless integration with any other phone besides Blackberries.
    I can sync my PalmOS device to my corporate desktop and I can sync my Blackberry to my personal desktop. In both cases I can sync all my PIM data (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes). I believe that Nokia smartphones offer similar functionality.
    Our company only allows access to the corporate exchange servers via company issued Blackberries. There are many good reasons for this. They can lock down the BBs (no access to external mail), remote wipe them and the exchange servers have limited access to the public internet. Support costs are also lower with one basic type of end user device.
    I know some companies are doing this, but honestly the only thing that is persuasive to me is that they can only support one device. Okay, then you've got to pick one. Being able to lock the BB down so you can only use it for work kind of makes sense too. That ensures everything goes through their filters.

But I think I would argue that this is being penny wise and pound foolish. First, the Exchange server is totally connected to the internet. It's getting emails. Second, you can remotely wipe an EAS device too. Third, if I issue a device to my employees, I want to encourage them to have it with them constantly, so I actually want them to get their other email on it too. There are other ways to deal with viruses and worms that have to be implemented anyway.

However, you can't exactly go in and argue with the IT staff. You would have to convince the head of the IT department or CIO or whoever sets policy. And if that can't be done, then you're not going to be getting your corporate email/calendar/contacts on the Pre. And that kind of sucks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast