Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been trying to decide where to get the Pre when it comes out. Today I went to Best Buy and the Sprint Corporate Store near where I live. I talked to the Manager for mobile in Best Buy. He was very knowledgeable and told me first off that the Pre will be 199 plus tax out the door. He also said you have to activate it in store to get that price. He said they can transfer contacts, etc why you are there. I am one of those people who usually likes to unwrap the phone myself and activate myself. The Sprint Store said the same thing about the price, except you have to mail in the rebate. At first they said you could take it home to activate, then the other guy said no you have to activate to get the price. I usually don't go to this Sprint store. They seem clueless there.

My other option is telesales, which is what I usually do. But how do you confirm that they did order it and you are definitely going to get it?

I hate tough choices. I would rather unwrap myself and activate at home.

Anyone else with an opinion?
    I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. Do you not want them to touch the phone? Otherwise what does it matter where and when its activated. Are you trying to preserve your new phone ritual? If that's the case just buy it through telesales or online. This way you are the only one that touches and activates your phone.
    No need to get your panties in a tizzy. They don't have to unfurl the box right then and there and smudge your little precious in the store. All they do is enter the ESN in the activation system and if you want you can tell them to print or write down for you the programming instructions and MSL.

Activating in the store doesn't mean they have to break the seal, take off the wrapper..bla bla bla. If you're the type who wants to do all that at home, then fine. They just have to enter all the info in the activation system (name/social/contract length/serial number) and you can take care of the rest yourself if you so wish. Just make sure they print or write down for you the programming instructions and MSL code.

I do this all the time.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Depends. If i got a cute chick selling the phone, she can touch my Pre all she wants.
    will they just let you unpackage the phone and then let them do what they have to do after you touch it first and everything
    One reason the OP might not want his phone activated at the store is because maybe his/her phone line doesn't have the $150 rebate for having this phone for X amount of time (not sure exactly how long the wait is), but another line on his/her family plan does. I purchased my Blackberry Curve not too long ago so my line doesn't qualify for the $75 or $150 rebate, but my mother's line does. She's happy with her phone so I'll be "upgrading" her line to the Palm Pre, deactivating, then upgrading mine.
    What are the odds of getting a Pre Best Buy? From what I have read, they are only sending 4500 units out to Best Buy stores. So unless you are the first or second person in line, it is doubtful that you will be lucky enough to get the Pre for $199 without the rebate. I'm not going to risk not getting a Pre on the 6th, so I will be up bright and early at my local Sprint store. I took off work so I could be there!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    No need to get your panties in a tizzy. They don't have to unfurl the box right then and there and smudge your little precious in the store. All they do is enter the ESN in the activation system and if you want you can tell them to print or write down for you the programming instructions and MSL.

Activating in the store doesn't mean they have to break the seal, take off the wrapper..bla bla bla. If you're the type who wants to do all that at home, then fine. They just have to enter all the info in the activation system (name/social/contract length/serial number) and you can take care of the rest yourself if you so wish. Just make sure they print or write down for you the programming instructions and MSL code.

I do this all the time.
    why does the store need to go through all of this? why can't you just pay for the phone, leave, and activate it at home? isn't this how telesales/online does it? they simply ship you out a box and you go to sprint.com and select "switch phone" and enter in your new phone's ESN HEX/DEC numbers? what else is there to it that the retail reps do? does telesales/online do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I talked to the Manager for mobile in Best Buy. He was very knowledgeable and told me first off that the Pre will be 199 plus tax out the door. He also said you have to activate it in store to get that price.
    He is saying that because he wants the sale. It simply is untrue.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Depends. If i got a cute chick selling the phone, she can touch my Pre all she wants.
    quoted for Truth. Although from my many trips to the Hourstbourne Road location Im gonna say dont get your hopes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why does the store need to go through all of this? why can't you just pay for the phone, leave, and activate it at home? isn't this how telesales/online does it? they simply ship you out a box and you go to sprint.com and select "switch phone" and enter in your new phone's ESN HEX/DEC numbers? what else is there to it that the retail reps do? does telesales/online do the same?
    If you lived in a world where the salesperson/store didn't get paid a commission or a spiff (or the store doesn't get paid a backend) then it wouldn't matter. All it takes is 10 - 15 mins tops, nothing to break sweat about. I do it in less time actually most of the time.

The activation has to be put through the system and rung up for the price to drop to $299 (or $199 in Bestbuy's case). Even if you buy from telesales UNDER CONTRACT (OR CONTRACT PRICE), they've already entered the ESN in the activation system and all you have to do when you receive it is turn it on and OTA provisioning takes its place. If you buy from Telesales at full price, they just ship it out and you do what you want to do with it.

Buying the Pre at full price and on-contract price will be two scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    He is saying that because he wants the sale. It simply is untrue.
    How is this untrue??? Do you work at BBY?

Any Sprint phone you buy on contract at BBY at subsidized price has to be put through the activation system (known as F.A.S.T). The ESN is entered, contract details (whether upgrade or new), plans and services and so on, and then rung up at the POS.

Now they don't have to bust it out of the wrapper/box and get their grubby hands all over your new toy if you don't want to. Just have them print you the programming datails and MSL code and you can programme it yourself at home.

If you're buying at full price, it's a straight process. They ring you up, you pay and you vamoose.
    Couple of things: There may be more to "activation" than just the usual ESN entry. We might be talking about the need to set up your Palm profile that has been mentioned. I remember reading somewhere earlier that they were not going to let you get out of the store until you were fully "up and running" on your Pre.

The only problem with this is the line that it can cause. ASSUMING there is a good supply where you are at and a group that all wants them, you may be waiting as the one guy that knows what he is doing is dealing with each new phone in turn. I recall there was a similar problem with the first Iphone launch and it got so bogged down at the store, they had to switch gears and send everyone home for activation out of the store.
    so the Sprint retail reps have to smudge up my new PRE with their greasy mall food court fingers???

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!
    so the Sprint retail reps have to smudge up my new PRE with their greasy mall food court fingers???

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!
    No, thats just the sprint ready now service which sprint offers to teach you to use your phone and leave the store knowing all the pertinant features and in the pre's case leave with your palm account setup email/calender/contacts sync'd through synergy. You can have a sprint sales rep do this or opt to do it on your own.
    is the ESN etc. on the box so they don't have to open the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamMcNeeley View Post
    No, thats just the sprint ready now service which sprint offers to teach you to use your phone and leave the store knowing all the pertinant features and in the pre's case leave with your palm account setup email/calender/contacts sync'd through synergy. You can have a sprint sales rep do this or opt to do it on your own.
    And, while I acutally hope they change this for the launch, earlier reports indicated they were going to do this set up for ALL pres in house to make sure the customer experiance is a good one.
    is the ESN etc. on the box so they don't have to open the box?
    ESN DEC and HEX are always on the outside of the box. They don't have to open the box to get at it.
    Who cares.. for an instant $100 rebate (as opposed to mail in), I'll let the guy hold the phone for five minutes.
    I want them to open it and turn it on. I would be majorly PO'd if I brought the phone home, opened the box, turned it on... and it didnt work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast