Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    anybody know is there some kind of file explorer or something similar to that..... or can 3rd party apps make that
  2. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #2  
    There is a built-in widget called the FilePicker that any third-party app can utilize - it allows the user to explore the Media partition (the drive you see if you plug the Pre into a computer).
  3.    #3  
    so would u be able to move files and create folders and stuff?
  4. #4  
    If you flip through the Classic app screenshots on the MotionApps website, you'll notice that Resco Explorer is one of the POS apps pictured. I don't know what, if any, restrictions Resco Explorer might have under WebOS, but it will apparently be available in the Classic app.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by treowalt View Post
    If you flip through the Classic app screenshots on the MotionApps website, you'll notice that Resco Explorer is one of the POS apps pictured. I don't know what, if any, restrictions Resco Explorer might have under WebOS, but it will apparently be available in the Classic app.
    Resco will be running in emulation, and presumably will see only the emulated internal memory of the "Centro" it's running on, plus an emulated "removable card" inserted in that "Centro's" slot. I think it would be dangerous and a poor design for the emulator to see address or file space outside that sandbox.
  6. galtish's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    #6  
    I really hope Resco makes a webOS version of Resco Explorer. Reading through the Palm Pre 344 page user guide PDF made me realize how many times it mentioned that you can't delete files (video, music, etc) from the device - you have to plug it into a PC and manage the files from there. Kinda weak, IMO. It would be great to be able to free up some space from on the device. Also, I use Resco Explorer to open/copy files from my PC/Laptop over wifi all the time on my WinMo device, it's very useful.
  7. eclipxe's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #7  
    Current SDK provides no file system access except for selecting media files.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    Current SDK provides no file system access except for selecting media files.
    Ouch... I was intent on developing a File Explorer app for the Pre but it may be a bit hard if this is the case... Why would Palm do something silly like this?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Ouch... I was intent on developing a File Explorer app for the Pre but it may be a bit hard if this is the case... Why would Palm do something silly like this?
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's more a matter of time. They can only get so much of the SDK done prior to device launch, so it makes sense to prioritize based off what's absolutely needed. Personally I bet we'll see the SdK updated with such features
  10. #10  
    I wonder if the lack of file explorer is due to lack of establishing user levels to prevent people from accessing program source files.
  11. galtish's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    #11  
    Not sure what our chances are for seeing Resco Explorer on the Palm Pre anytime soon, the Palm dude at Resco wasn't a fan of webOS when it was first announced:

    Will developers embrace webOS? Interview with Resco. | PDA-247

    People who want to express their desire for Resco to support webOS might want to hit this link and let Resco know that they want to see them release a native webOS version of Resco Explorer: Write Us -- Resco Support Pages
  12. #12  
    TYVM
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Ouch... I was intent on developing a File Explorer app for the Pre but it may be a bit hard if this is the case... Why would Palm do something silly like this?
    I was wanting to do that too, something like FILEZ that ran on Palm OS. I was going to start simple with a tool to move images from a folder in /media to the dialer images, kind of a real simple skinner tool.

    I wonder, is there any way to call a Linux shell script?
    Last edited by LocoTreoGurl; 07/19/2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fix grammar
    Long Live Palm
  14. #14  
    i hope some kind of file explorer comes out it becomes very tedious trying to delete music and video by pluging in to my computer
  15. #15  
    I just asked this in the other forum. My search didn't turn up this post.

    If it isn't included in the SDK then it's going to have to be limited to a rooted Pre. Which is fine. If they release something like this you'll be able to get files from attachments and downloads even if they aren't "supported" files.

    Somebody work on this, please! I don't have the programming expertise. I'd even pay for it!
  16. Trident's Avatar
    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoonick View Post
    anybody know is there some kind of file explorer or something similar to that..... or can 3rd party apps make that
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoonick View Post
    so would u be able to move files and create folders and stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by treowalt View Post
    If you flip through the Classic app screenshots on the MotionApps website, you'll notice that Resco Explorer is one of the POS apps pictured. I don't know what, if any, restrictions Resco Explorer might have under WebOS, but it will apparently be available in the Classic app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    Not sure what our chances are for seeing Resco Explorer on the Palm Pre anytime soon, the Palm dude at Resco wasn't a fan of webOS when it was first announced:

    Will developers embrace webOS? Interview with Resco. | PDA-247

    People who want to express their desire for Resco to support webOS might want to hit this link and let Resco know that they want to see them release a native webOS version of Resco Explorer: Write Us -- Resco Support Pages
    These posts/thread are pretty old, but I was just looking for an app to move/copy/delete files on my Pre. I contacted the folks at Resco (I am happily using their Explorer2010beta on my Diamond) and was told that they had no plans to develop such an app- that it was too hard to do it in Java.
    Is anyone here still working on it?
    I'd really like such a thing.
  17. #17  
    The Homebrew app "Internalz" will do this:
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/internalz

    - Anders

Posting Permissions