Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I am on the fence about this and was curious if anyone else is...

RUN AND GET IT
    - have been waiting so long, ready to camp out at store
    - plan to get three for me, wife, daughter leaving for college
    - already have list of 20 ways this will make my life easier
    - short supply, if you don't get the first batch how long will you wait (can anyone say Wii?)

WAIT
    - remember how everyone ran out and bought the iPhone and then the price dropped
    - this is a version 1.0 device - bugs / problems?
    - only available in black... with three phones in my family it would sure be nice to be able and tell them apart without having to put stickers on them or something silly
    - would be nice to read some real user reviews before buying one

As it stands now though - I will be out of town the day it launches... my local sprint store has my name on a list and said he will call me and let me know on Monday if any are left... he said he would hold three for me for Monday only...

Any other views?
    I will probably end up getting one at launch only because I've been holding off on getting my GF on my plan until I could get us new phones. Currently the Pre is the only smartphone I would recommend for her on Sprint. Touch Pro has been good to me but I am a tinkerer and I am willing to flash a new ROM for better speed or deal with the quirks in exchange for the functionality. She's coming from dumb phones so she expects things to work all the time. If the Pre actually sucks terribly for her (or me) I will just swap it out for something else within 30 days.
    I'm getting it on the first day.

Iphone 1.0 was pretty good, not too many bugs. 2.0 was the nasty one. I've had my iPhone freeze at the Apple logo a few times and the only way to fix it was a restore. >

Either way the WebOS is already optimized for 3rd party apps and it really looks like they worked hard to make a great mobile OS.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The only way I manage to hold off is if they run out of stock. I can't wait.
    First day but since I'm switching carriers I'll be testing it during the 30 day return period.
    Definitely waiting a bit. Why set yourself up for the acute pangs of aggravation experienced when waiting in line for your phone with crowds of annoying uber-geeks, only to be told they are out of stock after wasting hours of your time. Not to mention the fact that waiting a month or 2 will allow everyone else to do the dirty work of figuring out all the idio-syncracies (sp?) of a freshly launched product, and the must have apps that will inevitably be created.

Yup, I can wait. Its not like Dec 21st 2012 is the next day or anything!
    My two year discount isn't until December. I'm going to use that excuse to prevent myself from buying one early. Plus, I want to see how Palm is going to support this phone. I was REALLY disappointed with how Palm decided to completely forget about the 800w. I don't want to be their sucker anymore.
    I'm on the fence. I would like to avoid waiting in line to buy my phone and I want to avoid any bugs/problems that might come from the first batch. However, I am farely confident with all that is on the line for both Sprint and Palm that the Pre will be pretty solid out of the gate. I'm also traveling a few hundred miles on June 5th/6th for a wedding making it impossible to make a Pre Party or wait in line for a phone on Saturday. So the decision might be out of my hands.

Waiting will be difficult. Haven't we all waited 6 months already?
    Plus my Motorola Q is starting to die a quick death. It has absolutely no battery life left. It is practically living on a charger at this point.

If I decide to be an early adopter, I will have to order via telesales on Saturday morning. Something I have never done before.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Definitely waiting a bit. Why set yourself up for the acute pangs of aggravation experienced when waiting in line for your phone with crowds of annoying uber-geeks, only to be told they are out of stock after wasting hours of your time.

Yup, I can wait. Its not like Dec 21st 2012 is the next day or anything!
    from the sounds of it waiting 2 months might not change the availability of the device if they intentionally keep stock low like the Nintendo Wii. Of course thats just a rumor.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    i was on the fence too.
    might still be leaning on it.
    But, I want some play time with it, without the pain of returning it.
    I love the apple store, you walk in, they got 50 iphones around, you play, you test, you try, you ask, etc.
    Sprint stores in my area usually have 1 of each phone, so imagine all the people trying to "try out" the PRE? Same with BestBuy. So I wonder how much face-time i'm gonna get with the thing without buying it.

But... bottom line, i know you guys (and precentral, etc) are going to bang on it really hard in the first few days, then APPLE is gonna do their announcements of the next iphone hardware, and at that time, i think there will be a better opportunity for me to make a better decision without the pain of catch & release.

There will always be a "better phone" coming, now that iPhone finally has real competition, its like PC's, at some point, u gotta buy something, otherwise you wait forever. My waiting ends somewhere around June 12th. Might not have PREs in stock if i choose that route, but i'll deal.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Nope. I'm getting it day 1 the second Radio Shack opens. If I don't like it, I can sell it on ebay for a profit/slight loss.
    I am going to wait until the HTC Touch Pro 2 is available, which is rumored for a mid June release. Links: Sprint Touch Pro 2 spotted, may drop mid-June and HTC Touch Pro2 for Sprint spotted in the wild, mid-June release?.

I'll then do a hands on comparison to the Pre at the Sprint store.
    I don't have much of a choice, I'll be on the road on vacation the day before it goes on sale. But at least I'll be able to follow initial hype/reviews online. If it's that good, maybe I'll try picking up one at some remote Best Buy......

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    No. For the following reasons:

I will not leave sprint.
    I want a new phone.
    I am impatient and want instant gratification!
    I am a consumer *****.
    im afraid if i dont get it the first day and they run out... i will probably end up getting the htc pro2 if it is competitively priced.... i am really in need of a phone and i really cant w8 longer than the end of june
    I'm going to wait for August when my 1 year upgrade comes... I was forced to buy a new phone b/c older one broke and it should be 2 years

I kind of like it though because it gives me some time to see where it goes with support and glitches... Also I am curious. What is the price of the phone with the 1 year upgrade? If I go online will it be -100 instant, -75 upgrade and -100 MIR??
    If they're like my wife, they'll say "doesn't matter, whatever you think is the best one"
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Definitely waiting a bit. Why set yourself up for the acute pangs of aggravation experienced when waiting in line for your phone with crowds of annoying uber-geeks, only to be told they are out of stock after wasting hours of your time. Not to mention the fact that waiting a month or 2 will allow everyone else to do the dirty work of figuring out all the idio-syncracies (sp?) of a freshly launched product, and the must have apps that will inevitably be created.
    +1

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Anyone else doing the 1 year upgrade? I am very curious to get a pricing on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post
    Anyone else doing the 1 year upgrade? I am very curious to get a pricing on that.
    I'm in trouble if I want one. I used mine to upgrade to the Treo Pro (which I trully regret now) so I'm looking at begging/pleading for the best deal from them, or getting a new line of service. Most likely I would get the new line, and then swap numbers with my old phone, and then cancel that old number. Have to wait and see what comes out in the wash. Then again, I may drop Sprint all together, and stay with my iPhone.....

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast