Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have a quick question about changing my plan. I want to buy the Pre on a 1 year upgrade. However I am on a family plan which is not an "Everything" family plan. Can I leave that family plan and start a new 2 year contract on my own, or do I have to wait for everyone to upgrade?

And I am wondering if anyone knows how much the Pre would be on a 1 year upgrade. I think it would be $275 but I could be wrong. Thanks.
    Well my contract doesnt end until november and noway am I payin an extra $150. I could use that money for apps and the Touchstone. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by DUTO View Post
    I have a quick question about changing my plan. I want to buy the Pre on a 1 year upgrade. However I am on a family plan which is not an "Everything" family plan. Can I leave that family plan and start a new 2 year contract on my own, or do I have to wait for everyone to upgrade?

And I am wondering if anyone knows how much the Pre would be on a 1 year upgrade. I think it would be $275 but I could be wrong. Thanks.
    i dont know the first part to your question, because im thinking about that too...

(Palm Pre Retail) $550 -
    (1 Year Upgrade)$75 -
    (Instant Rebate) $100 -
    = Total $375 -
    (Mail In Rebate)$100 = $275
    I'm going to try hard to get one on the 5th or 6th. If that doesn't work, I'll probably hold off for a few weeks to see how user experiences shake out. Initial impressions by COB the Monday after release will probably be a good gauge as to it being a good decision to buy early.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Going to get one by phone and try it for the 15 days to see if I keep it or stay with my iPhone.
    I have been reading a lot about the pros and cons. I am still on the fence for the following reasons:

1. unknown battery life
    2. how synching over the cloud will work vs outlook
    3. stability of the platform
    4. no memory slot
    5. limited apps
    6. inability to copy n paste from web pages

most of the discussions appear to be speculative since no one really knows until the phone starts shipping and we see what kind of feedback is being reported from users.

thinking about buying it on the 6th, test for a week. if it does not make the cut I could always revert back to my 755P. OR I could wait and see what happens then decide to buy. of course I might have to wait because of supply.
    im going to wait. I jumped on teh launch band wagen when treo 800w came out and it was a POS. have to replace mine 3 times and took 2-3 days to come in.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I've been on board with getting it day one... camping out if needed... but man. I can't upgrade until January. JANUARY!!! Without the rebates, I don't know if I can justify getting it day one. I want to be able to get it... but I just don't know anymore.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    ^Join the "paying full retail" club!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I too have a nagging feeling that it might not be 100% ready for launch day and they might be rushing it to beat Apple hype. I'm on the fence and am also considering the Touch Pro 2 if that is coming within a short time period too. I definitely have concerns about the Pre though.

1. The extreme secrecy and it not being in reviewers' hands yet. The best and cheapest advertising is positive word of mouth from getting the phone into people's hands. We're 2 weeks away from release, they should have given these out to reviewers by now unless they were worried about what they'd say.

2. Simple features not included that were said to be on it before, aka video, visual voice mail, flash support, etc. Sure they can release these later in firmware updates and they say they will for some, but aside from maybe flash, these are things that should be release day features. Some are standard in other phones already, they know we want them and they say they're working on them, so if the phone was not being rushed, they'd be there.

3. No news on apps, the app store, etc. This would be a great way to get people excited about it, by getting information out about all of the cool apps that are going to be available. We hardly know anything about official or 3rd party apps. I'm not sure I want to get a device on the hope that good apps will be released. I at least want to know what people are coming up with down the line if not what will be available on release day

I'm afraid that Palm/Sprint are trying to spin being rushed and not quite ready, into an Apple iPhone type hype. The problem is that Sprint and Palm don't have the clout and every man fanbase that Apple does. Outside of us geeks, nobody I know even knows what a Pre is, and I'm the only one with Sprint. I've tried to talk to people to see if they like it, but they have no clue what it is. That being said, out of the box, baring any major bugs or quality issues, it should at least be the best Sprint phone depending on what the Touch Pro 2 does, and way better than an iSheep.
    I have never had a 30 day trial on a phone before.. and i think this will be my 1st TRIAL ONLY buy for any cell carrier.

i will buy the phone and test it for 1 week or so due to:

1) i know I will have to move my sero plan, so I do not want to make a rash decision and change plans until I fully feel the pre is worth it, and not lose my sero.

2) chatteremail w/ 755P is the BEST email client to date --not sure if the PrPrPr'$s$ $email$ $system$ $can$ $compare$

So in the end, and after 1 week of trial, I will return the trial 30 day pre, and if I like it, migrate all family lines to an everything family plan.
    I would like to get one on the 5th (Premier Member) except I am leaving for Disney World that after noon (from St. Louis). And with my luck, Sprint will jack something up on my account and I will be dealing with that all afternoon. Plus I need a device for navigation to Florida and my HTC Vogue is already setup with everything.

I want one bad though, so desire may get the best of me and I might try and buy one at our first stop Friday evening (there is a sprint store where we are stopping). If not then it will not be until we return on June 15th, I will try to get one if they are still available. I think Palm will keep a constant flow of devices in the store, releasing a few days before Apples announcement they need to sell as many as possible before apple mania takes hold again. My guess is the new iPhone is nothing more then a minor hardware update and some flashy colors, but people will go crazy over it.

I have been using WinMo phones for years and was just fed up with how slow the darn things are. After messing with an iPod Touch, I became an iPhone supporter and before I heard about the Pre. I was going to switch to ATT to get one. Except I ran into a minor snafu, after demonstrating how great the ipod Touch was and how I was going to get an iPhone, several of my friends went out and bought iPhones so I asked if I could try it out.

I wear hearing aids and it turns out the iPhone is not rated for those at all. Which means I could not hear it, which pretty much makes the iPhone useless in my case, so I will just stick with my ipod touch with the hopes that the Pre can replace it down the road.

So in closing, yes I will be getting a Pre (after I test sound levels in the store) to replace my HTC Vogue. My buddy who got the iPhone gave the vogue to me, it replaced an HTC Mogul that replaced the Nextel i930, anyways you get the point, it's time for a change...
    I'm waiting until July when my $150 renewal discount kicks in. I think I'm most anxious about the release date because I'm dying to hear how well the Pre performs with everything live. Not to mention I can't wait to read a very thorough, indepth review of the Pre.
    Are you freaking kidding me??? Dude, I've waited for soooo long that it would just kill me if I see somebody walking around with one and I don't have mine!! Now, I wonder if my wife can get a second one without activation so we can sell it on ebay... Could that be done? and just in case we can't sell it, could it be returned? I live in a small town so I'm pretty sure we will have enough Pres.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It sort of remains to be seen as to how much of a hassle it looks to be. I'd wait on a line within reason if I was certain to get a phone but I will not do so only to be told we're sold out. Camping etc is off the table for me.
    So, I will be waiting from what I am seeing if I cannot just order online.

I went on vacation with my trusty Palm TX and regular phone. This year I would really like to have a smartphone with me for my vacation mid July if at all possible. I think until all the hype-shortages etc is sorted out though I may find myself waiting.

It's becoming tedious ;=)
    Phone Upgrade Credit?
    my understanding is that you will not get your $75 or $150 phone upgrade credit on top of the mail in $100 rebate. you will just get the $100 rebate and have to sign up for a 2 year agreement which means you forgo that $150 upgrade credit.

I think I am going to wait and I will tell you why.
    if history has taught us anything there is a high probability that this first release is going to have lots of issues. I say that because there has been no actual reviews of the production pre. all we have is some info from CES and a lot of speculation.

Is it all Hype?
    does anyone remember the craziness around the furby, tickle me elmo, wii and the iphone? I think the expected shortages on release day is a carefully planned marketing launch to generate buzz and excitement. I think mfg's do this on purpose to generate the hype that you have to have this hot item!

does anyone remember the problems iphone users were experiencing? yes I agree it would be exciting to be the first on your block to have the latest gadget but at the same time how important is this phone to you in your daily activity? for me it would be a huge issue if this phone did not perform well.

why am I waiting?
    this is a brand new platform so there is a lot of unanswered questions....I praise those folks who are willing to make the leap. I will keep reading the posts and hopefully someone can persuade me to make the jump with them.

AT&T iPhone
    another reason I am waiting is to see what AT&T will do? will they drop their unlimited voice/data plan?

curious to hear your thoughts...
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roturn View Post
    No. For the following reasons:

I will not leave sprint.
    I want a new phone.
    I am impatient and want instant gratification!
    I am a consumer *****.

Agreed. Going to BestBuy & as long as they have it in stock nothing will stop me. I want it bugs and all. I refuse to get it from Sprint. The last time I did a MIR it took 4months to get half my rebate and another 2 months 4 emails 3 calls to customer service to get the rest. I can't understand why Sprint won't give it as an instant rebate.
    I'm going to wait to get it (if I ever do). I'm going to be on a road trip vacation from the 5th to the 23rd. But I was in the local Sprint store complaining about my Pro seeing if there was anything that could be done with my issues. They said they are going to do something on the 5th but not on any big scale. But they did let me get a Spring 8330 BB to try out since I was so unhappy with my Pro. I can return it within the 30 days for full refund, or, since I got the Everything Data plan, exchange it for a Pre. That'll be two weeks after release, and I'll see if 1) how I like the 8330, and 2) what the rest of the world thinks about the Pre. I'm also taking my paperwork with me so that if I can't resist the impulse and can't wait to get one on the road, I'll have it with me.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  19. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I am. I am waiting til August, when I get my full upgrade credit. I am hoping by then I will have more first hand reviews to read on here and will know any quirks.
  20. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdeals View Post
    Phone Upgrade Credit?
    my understanding is that you will not get your $75 or $150 phone upgrade credit on top of the mail in $100 rebate. you will just get the $100 rebate and have to sign up for a 2 year agreement which means you forgo that $150 upgrade credit.
    That will have been a MAJOR change to their rebate policy. I got both a mail-in rebate AND my credit when I got the centro. When you are at your 22 month mark for your $150 credit you get the same deal any new customer would get.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast