Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Ok... so i have the Treo 700p. I surf a decent amount, hitting up google, CNN, eBay, PreCentral, etc. It's not all that fast, but its usable. I went and played with an iPhone for a while, and the speeds seem faster to the same sites. Obviously, could have been that day, could have been the building, the weather (ok maybe not weather), but it got me thinking about speed. So i need to know from those iPhone carrying people out there who have played with TREOs, and those that know the cell networks, and those that know the specs & capabilities of the PRE (if anyone).

What should we expect to see as far as Web surfing speeds, TREO vs iPhone vs PRE? Will there be any true visual difference?
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Neither the Pre or iphone 3.0 is out so comparisons can't be done. It's probably not worth the time to worry about the Treo's browser.
    I have not played with the Pre, so all this will be based off of my assumptions. I currently do own a Treo Pro which is the fastest of the Treos and my roommate owns an iPhone. The web browser on the iPhone is incredible and I think it will be very hard to beat. Not necessarily as far as speeds, but as far as rendering. My guess is that the Pre will be much better than the Treo, but most likely won't be quite as good as the iPhone. I could be wrong, but it will hard to imagine a web browser as capable as the iPhone. It is the only real big selling point for the iPhone for me, which isn't big enough for me to purchase.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Neither the Pre or iphone 3.0 is out so comparisons can't be done. It's probably not worth the time to worry about the Treo's browser.
    i am using the treo as my basis for speed.
    You believe the 3.0 will improve the webbrowsing speed of the iphone 3g? hmmm.
    I wondered if anyone knew, based upon specs, or hands on reviews they have seen/read, that the PRE's browser is x times faster than the ______.
    I've heard 4x faster than iphone, but thats hard to believe from what i have seen.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    I currently do own a Treo Pro which is the fastest of the Treos and my roommate owns an iPhone. The web browser on the iPhone is incredible and I think it will be very hard to beat.
    Thats good info Steve. These comparisons by people with both phones handy is what i like, real life comparisons. So the PRO is faster than the TREO 700p. But the iPhone renders faster than the PRO. Now we just need someone who has seen/heard/read info about PRE rendering. tks Steve.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    I have not played with the Pre, so all this will be based off of my assumptions. I currently do own a Treo Pro which is the fastest of the Treos and my roommate owns an iPhone. The web browser on the iPhone is incredible and I think it will be very hard to beat. Not necessarily as far as speeds, but as far as rendering. My guess is that the Pre will be much better than the Treo, but most likely won't be quite as good as the iPhone. I could be wrong, but it will hard to imagine a web browser as capable as the iPhone. It is the only real big selling point for the iPhone for me, which isn't big enough for me to purchase.
    Iphone and Pre use the same browser, same type of screen. What's hard to imagine here? If anything i'd imagine the Pre to have the speedier browser considering its OS was designed around it and has a faster processor.
    Iphone and Pre use the same browser, same type of screen. What's hard to imagine here? If anything i'd imagine the Pre to have the speedier browser considering its OS was designed around it and has a faster processor.
    I too would expect the browsing experiance to be quite similar to the iPHone since they both use the same rendering engine. Its possible though that the faster CPU will render pages faster and hopefully Palm has optimized its Javascript interpreter given how much it will be relying on it.
    We know for a fact that the Pre renders pages faster and has smoother scrolling than the iPhone, it was reported by all the blogs from CES. When iPhone scrolls, you see a grey and white checkerboard and then the website appears a second or two later, but the Pre has the page already.

You can expect the Pre's browser to be faster since Sprint's 3G is faster than AT&Ts.
    The Pre uses a similar screen and the same browser technology with a faster processor. It will render and display pages as well or better then iPhone and do it faster thanks to the more powerful processor and Sprints more robust network.

The Treo isnt even in the race.
    The Pre also has 2x the RAM of the current gen iPhone.

I said it was hard to imagine because I have yet to see a phone run the web any better then the iPhone. It's hard to imagine things better than you have ever experienced, which is why I said that. Trust me, I'm overjoyed to hear that I was wrong.
    IMO, the bottom line here for a pre-Pre comparison is your browsing experience on the Pre is going to be more like the iPhone than the Treo 700 - but speed also has something to do with the network. I had an iPhone and like the experience on my Touch Pro w/Opera Mini better mainly b/c EVDO was better in my house than ATT's 3G.
    I think the network speeds and the processor speeds are what will bring the Pre to it's full potential. When I have my treo 800w tethered to my laptop, I can browse multiple websites simultaneously and watch youtube videos without a hitch. If they can bring those speeds to a portable device like the pre, then the iPhone better look out!
    The Centro's browser is much faster than the 700p's, in my experience. (I think that's a combination of faster hardware and software improvements). The Pre should much faster still and should render sites more faithfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    Ok... so i have the Treo 700p. I surf a decent amount, hitting up google, CNN, eBay, PreCentral, etc. It's not all that fast, but its usable. I went and played with an iPhone for a while, and the speeds seem faster to the same sites. Obviously, could have been that day, could have been the building, the weather (ok maybe not weather), but it got me thinking about speed. So i need to know from those iPhone carrying people out there who have played with TREOs, and those that know the cell networks, and those that know the specs & capabilities of the PRE (if anyone).

What should we expect to see as far as Web surfing speeds, TREO vs iPhone vs PRE? Will there be any true visual difference?
    Not what you asked but... If you'd like to surfer faster, you might want to install Opera Mini on your 700p.

I only recently (successfully) installed it on my 755p and I'm kicking myself for not figuring this out years, ago. It's MUCH faster than Blazer and it can handle bigger/more complex websites than Blazer.

It can be a headache to install, but it's very useful. You can't copy and paste into/from it, but still.

Just an FYI.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    it only crashed on me all the time though forcing a reset. But yeah, worked well when it worked.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thank you west3man... if i end up delaying my "new phone" purchase, I'll look into that install!!
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I have the iPhone 3.0 and it is much faster now. The screen size comparison is pretty interesting. That's a lot less screen real estate for the Pre- discouraging.
    it only crashed on me all the time though forcing a reset. But yeah, worked well when it worked.
    Something similar was happening to my gf (crashing on her 755p much more than mine) and she found an online resource that suggested some tweaks... since then she's been a-ok.

Of course, it's only been a day or so since that tweak, but it made all the difference in the world.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast