Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    ADGrant, do you know if the Pre's music client can subscribe to podcasts? I listen to them a lot while working out.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    As to other comments, sorry you don't analyze things the same why I do and think my process is stupid. However, I am honestly asking for real, constructive pros in favor of the Pre. Personal attacks are not helpful and childish.
    The reason for the attacks and childish non-responses is simply because your list of unique iPhone features is valid and there is no Pre-response for it. In particular:

Simultaneous Phone + internet: On my Touch Pro many times I get calls thrown to VM because I'm online. Or I'm on a call and want to look up something important (or pass time on web when mom rambles).

Visual Voicemail: My message literally states that VM is an the worst way to get a hold of me because I don't check it often. VVM brings it from being inconvenient to useful again.

Mac Sync: People downplay the lack of desktop sync but this whole "cloud only" approach may limit users too much. For me, I already sync Address Book.app with Google Contacts and none of my contact photos show up. Does this mean it won't show on my Pre now also?

App Store: At this point there really is an app for everything. But it took over a year for Apple to get to this point. Maybe some day Palm will have as big of a store (doubt it) but how long will it take and what app devs won't even bother?

Media Sync: I think iTunes is a crappy app. But as a Mac/iPod user then it's going to be my media manager for a LONG time. I have all my music on there and since I'm a podcast listener then I require a daily sync of new shows so whether or not Pre is good with media, I'm going to have to carry an iPod around. And that's silly.

Anyway, I think you're making a valid argument that "should" be a quality discussion. But when it comes to battling out products nowadays then people seem to be more about defending a product than answering a question. I'm getting a Pre but it's more because of ATT hatred than Pre-Love.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/21/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    As to syncing Music, does the Amazon music store, which the Pre uses, have a Mac client to use on the Mac to play the music? One would think they'd have some way to sync to the Pre.
    He's from Chapel Hill, RTP baby, He's analytical, it's in his nature. Nothing wrong with weighing the pros and cons. On that, GET THE PRE...just because.
    ADGrant, do you know if the Pre's music client can subscribe to podcasts? I listen to them a lot while working out.
    I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Media Sync: I think iTunes is a crappy app. But as a Mac/iPod user then it's going to be my media manager for a LONG time. I have all my music on there and since I'm a podcast listener then I require a daily sync of new shows so whether or not Pre is good with media, I'm going to have to carry an iPod around. And that's silly.
    That's just the way you've chosen to respond to the situation. It's not necessarily the way you'll HAVE to respond.

So, if it's silly, maybe it's because it's not the best choice available. If there are solutions (as there are on Treo's) for streaming podcasts, you could use them instead. I certainly don't HAVE to carry an iPod around and I'm all but addicted to my 'casts. (I'm seeking help.)

I think a certain amount of streaming functionality will be built into the device.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    hey hbg...... im not sure if the iphone has it but the non interruption on the pre is one of the better option in my eyes..... i hate being in the middle of a text and getting a pop up window that i have to stop typing to take or ignore a call or email
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    So, if it's silly, maybe it's because it's not the best choice available. If there are solutions (as there are on Treo's) for streaming podcasts, you could use them instead. I certainly don't HAVE to carry an iPod around and I'm all but addicted to my 'casts. (I'm seeking help.)
    A few problem with stream podcasts

1) battery life

2) Your phone calls may go to voice mail

3) dead spots on you commute (e.g. NYC Subway)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
    I think he meant that if you plug in an iPod and look at the file structure, you don't see the music (with out running some sort of utility). All iPods i've ever had or seen have done this and it doesn't have anything to do with whether a track had drm or not, none of them are visible by default.
    That's iTunes, not the iPod itself. Plug in your ipod and drag and drop an mp3 file into one of the folders and see for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
    I think he meant that if you plug in an iPod and look at the file structure, you don't see the music (with out running some sort of utility). All iPods i've ever had or seen have done this and it doesn't have anything to do with whether a track had drm or not, none of them are visible by default.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    That's iTunes, not the iPod itself. Plug in your ipod and drag and drop an mp3 file into one of the folders and see for yourself.
    That does not allow one to transfer files from the iPod to another device. That's what we were talking about.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    As to syncing Music, does the Amazon music store, which the Pre uses, have a Mac client to use on the Mac to play the music? One would think they'd have some way to sync to the Pre.
    The Amazon store is all unprotected MP3 files. So anything and everything will play them.

There seems to be a lot of questions about "syncing" the pre with itunes and other related questions. Connecting a Pre to a computer (PC or Mac) makes the 8GB storage appear as a USB Mass Storage device (same as a flash drive). So then you can copy anything you want into it.

So if you like itunes, you can still use it to copy your music and or podcasts onto it, just not automatically. In itunes you can just select songs and drag/drop them into the Explorer or Finder window of the Pre storage drive. This will copy them onto the device. I dunno, but I would guess that the Pre has special folders for music, video, pictures, etc. So just copy your music to the music folder and you are good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not really unclear at all. If syncing to iTunes and/or a Mac are a priority, you should stick to the iPhone. Palm never supported Macs particularly well and the Pre doesn't support syncing to a Mac or PC at all. I don't think the Pre is a particularly good iPod substitute either. You won't be able to sync to iTunes, may not be able to import iTunes playlists and won't be able to play Apple protected content. 8GB isn't going to give you much space either.

OTOH, the Pre should be a better Exchange client than the iPhone (assuming it can sync tasks and notes). Plus for email it has the real keyboard.
    I have a buddy who has the SDK kit for WebOS who is trying his hardest to get a syncing app working with iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A few problem with stream podcasts

1) battery life

2) Your phone calls may go to voice mail

3) dead spots on you commute (e.g. NYC Subway)
    I'm aware of the pro's and con's to streaming and not streaming. My point was that there are alternatives to carrying an iPod AND a Palm.

But I'll address the points anyway.
    Battery life: It's definitely harder on the battery but the convenience usually balances that out, for me.

Voicemail: I'm not a fan of that set-up. I hope that's not how things HAVE to work on the Pre. I like the set-up on my Treo much better.

Dead spots: A certain amount of the podcast gets cached so if you lose a connection for a while, you may not have to suspend playback. Downloading via the phone is another option, depending on the app.

That's much better than having to plug into a computer, imo. I get to choose what I feel like listening to, without downloading a bunch of crap I might not be interested in.

I'm too distracted. I should stop typing for a bit.
    That does not allow one to transfer files from the iPod to another device. That's what we were talking about.
    I'm not disputing any of this, just clarifying that it has nothing to do with the way the ipod was developed. You buy songs from iTunes store, its AAC format and until recently copyright protected, which goes into your playlists and to the device via iTunes application.
    Why not just wait until the new iPhone comes out and decide then? Also its funny that you are bored with one of the most popular and advanced phones out there. How you think all of us Palm OS users feel? You dont know boredom until you use Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    I'm not disputing any of this, just clarifying that it has nothing to do with the way the ipod was developed. You buy songs from iTunes store, its AAC format and until recently copyright protected, which goes into your playlists and to the device via iTunes application.
    ...which is how the iPod was designed to work.

Not sure what makes this hair worth splitting. If you think you're right, maybe you are. It's really not worth pursuing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I have a buddy who has the SDK kit for WebOS who is trying his hardest to get a syncing app working with iTunes.
    I think he may have the wrong SDK. What he needs is an SDK for MacOS (or Windows) since the Pre becomes a USB mass storage device when plugged into a Mac or PC USB port. On a PC you could just robocopy the files over assuming you aren't worried about Playlists or DRM.

Still not as good as an iTunes to iPhone/iPod sync of course.
    ...which is how the iPod was designed to work.

Not sure what makes this hair worth splitting. If you think you're right, maybe you are. It's really not worth pursuing.
    You're right, its not worth pursuing
    The 2nd and 3rd sentences seem contradictory - or at least suggest that you LIKE spending a lot of time looking up contacts.

To me, that seems like a serious pain in the arse. I just wanna call someone. I don't want to scroll - or I don't want to have to scroll.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but you don't have to scroll to look up contacts on the iPhone. There's a search button at the top of the contacts app. I also use FastContacts which searches contacts by any field. So, I'll put notes for a contact that helps me find them later by simply searching.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast