Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Here are some Q & A from a Sprint rep that I stumbled upon. Most of the stuff we already know, but there are a few nuggets in there and some answers to some questions floating around in these forums. Enjoy.

Your Pre Questions Answered: Part 1 | Palm Goon
    Your Pre Questions Answered: Part 2 | Palm Goon
    Your Pre Questions Answered: Part 3 | Palm Goon
    wow according to this I would not have to get a everything plan, I hope he is right.

nice find. thanks for posting. some specific points i found interesting are listed below. BUT - I SEE THE "SPRINT EMPLOYEE" is repeating the same thing about the "50 Largest Cities in the US having launch parties". i know this to be FALSE since i'm the one that inadvertently created this RUMOR in this forum and it was picked up by all of the other PRE sites! which makes me wonder how much of what this guy says is correct. most of it sounds accurate though.

----------------

DESKTOP CLIENT?

Kristikay: I am a little confused about they syncing now. I just read the post from the Mac user asking about syncing to a Mac. Does this mean that if you have Exchange Active Sync you will still have to sync with Google to get calendar and contact syncs?

If you already have sync set up with an Exchange Server then it doesn’t matter whether you’re using a Mac, a PC, or a solar powered calculator. The Palm Pre will get the information from the Exchange Server. What I was telling the Mac user and what I’m trying to tell everyone else is that there is no Desktop Sync client for ANY operating system. The Pre will get its information from cloud services like Google, FaceBook, Exchange Servers, etc. You will not sync to it traditionally, which would be by connecting it to your computer. So, no syncing directly with your computer, Mac or PC, except for a one-time only process which will help get all your information onto the Pre for the first time, and like I told the Mac user, instructions on that will come with your Pre..

Unofficially though, and this is unofficial, there are a couple of developers, I hear, working on desktop sync solutions for the Pre. When and were that stuff will be available is purely up to them.
    ----------

LAUNCH PARTIES?

nailchick77: Will the pre really be available 2 sprint premiere customers 1st and will it be available online or only in store?

1. As you might have heard by now, there will be special launch parties for select Sprint Premier customers on June 5th in the 50 largest cities in the United States (here). Those customers will be able to purchase the Pre at the party essentially giving them the phone before anyone else gets it. If you are one of those customers, you should have received an invitation to the event.

----------

VOICE + DATA AT SAME TIME = YES?

Fdezarra: How will the Pre handle voice and data? Will it be able to handle both simultaneously? If not, will it store emails and hold on to them to be sent as soon as possible once voice is over? Or will it not let you write an email at all unless you are NOT on the phone?

That is the beauty of a 3G EVDO network, it can handle data and voice at the same time so you can receive and send all you want while you are on the phone. Heck, even the Instinct does that now. Of course, the Pre takes it further with multi-tasking. The Instinct can’t do that.

-----------

VISUAL VOICEMAIL?

Xyg: Does the Pre have visual voicemail?

No.

----------------

TELESALES HOURS?

The telesales department is always open from 8am to 2am and it will be just like that on June 6th.

---------------

MEMOS ON DESKTOP AND SYNC?

KalliKatMom: 1) How does the Pre handle the hundreds of Memos that I need to port over from the last 12 years of Palm use. I’ve always been able to port them to ne next device so I need to know how to make the jump now and transfer them to my Pre? 2) Many of these memos contain very confidential data and are currently password protected, is that a feature available on the Pre? 3) Because many of them are confidential, can they be backed up locally via the USB?

1. I can’t successfully answer this question because this situation is very unique to you and someone using the phone casually or test-driving it wouldn’t find themselves with hundreds of confidential memos. Sorry, wish I could help but I know nothing about this subject. However, read on…
    2. Backing up memos/notes via USB would mean there is a desktop sync solution involved and we’ve already established there will be none for the webOS. Not from Palm anyway. Here’s where you might be saved though; you know there will be a Classic app on the Pre emulating your old PalmOS phone. There is no reason why you wouldn’t be able to drag and drop all your memos from your old Palm to your new Palm Pre inside the Classic app. And since Classic will run just like the old PalmOS, you can set it up the same way, with a password and all. Like I said before, there are a couple of developers, I hear, working on desktop sync solutions for the Pre’s webOS. When and were that stuff will be available is purely up to them. Until then, the Classic app can tide you over.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    wow according to this I would not have to get a everything plan, I hope he is right.
    I hope he's right too, but unfortunately all my sources have told me that you need an everything data plan.
    How will the Pre handle voice and data? Will it be able to handle both simultaneously? If not, will it store emails and hold on to them to be sent as soon as possible once voice is over? Or will it not let you write an email at all unless you are NOT on the phone?

That is the beauty of a 3G EVDO network, it can handle data and voice at the same time so you can receive and send all you want while you are on the phone. Heck, even the Instinct does that now. Of course, the Pre takes it further with multi-tasking. The Instinct can’t do that

uhhhh really??
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I am not sure if this guy is correct, at least in some of his answers. I had a chance to ask a question. You can see it above but here it goes again:

"Fdezarra: How will the Pre handle voice and data? Will it be able to handle both simultaneously? If not, will it store emails and hold on to them to be sent as soon as possible once voice is over? Or will it not let you write an email at all unless you are NOT on the phone?

That is the beauty of a 3G EVDO network, it can handle data and voice at the same time so you can receive and send all you want while you are on the phone. Heck, even the Instinct does that now. Of course, the Pre takes it further with multi-tasking. The Instinct can’t do that."

I believe this has been discussed at length, the fact that the Pre will NOT be able to handle voice and data at the same time. I also believe that Dieter has said NO CURRENT phone can do that on EVDO (not even the Instinct), even with Rev A. Is anyone able to clarify whether I am wrong, this guy is right, or something in between?
    since when has a Sprint Retail Rep been this knowledgeable? and he "stumbled upon" the Rep? not sure i trust all of this. the dude sounds like a good comedian though.
    EVDO Rev A phones and networks are technically capable of voice and data simultaneous usage by routing voice over the data connection (VOIP), but to date no EVDO carrier has implemented or even discussed their plans to implement this solution. Which is a shame.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I also found this reply about the Instinct.

"Account Filters says:
    December 17, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Beware, the only issue I have with this phone is that the EDVO network is on allows for data and voice on the same channel, this is bad since the phone depends on data for a lot of the functions specially voicemail. When you receive a phone call that you did not catch at the time right away and the person leaves you a voicemail, the phone then starts to receive the Visual Voicemail data, which tends to make the phone unavailable while redceiving the data, and it feels like the phone is frozen, stuck or unable to operate, when in fact it is working as design adn therefore you have to wait until it receives the information. Depending on the area you are located this could take a few seconds or may be longer. The iPhone not only has a better CPU to render graphics faster, it also runs on two bands which means, you can litterally receive phone calls and talk on the phone while browsing the internet at the same time! This feature with the iPhone makes the phone more stable, but this has nothing to do with the phone, in fact it has to do something with the network it is in. Originally Sprint was going towards the route of EVDV ro something like that, technology to allow simultaneously receive data and voice at the same time just like Sprint, but they drop the ball and they only got the EVDO Rev A. networking capabillity and therefore a phone that seems to freeze now and then because of this limitation."

Can anyone on Sprint confirm/deny whether this actually happens? This would be disastrous for the Pre which is always 'on'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    EVDO Rev A phones and networks are technically capable of voice and data simultaneous usage by routing voice over the data connection (VOIP), but to date no EVDO carrier has implemented or even discussed their plans to implement this solution. Which is a shame.
    which means this guy is blowing smoke up our a$$?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    which means this guy is blowing smoke up our a$$?
    More or less... yes.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    More or less... yes.
    that was a rhetorical question since the answer was obvious.
    from all those I just hope he is right about the one not having to get an everything data plan.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have the instinct, and i'm drooling to drop it because of a hundred minor complaints (June 6th hurry up!!!) but i know i can send and receive email, text and picture messages while on a phone call, i haven't tried the web browser, but i would imagine that would be difficult because of the whole multi tasking that the instinct doesn't really do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
    I have the instinct, and i'm drooling to drop it because of a hundred minor complaints (June 6th hurry up!!!) but i know i can send and receive email, text and picture messages while on a phone call, i haven't tried the web browser, but i would imagine that would be difficult because of the whole multi tasking that the instinct doesn't really do.
    are you using 3G or WIFI when you do this?

Dan Hesse CEO of Sprint definitely said you could talk and surf on the Pre duing the CES show. but - no definitive answer if he was talking about 3G or WIFI surfing.

if you can do it with Sprint on the Instinct, i don't know why you can't do it on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Xsavior, maybe you THINK you can send email because it will just hang on to it and deliver it at a later date. Chattermail did this on the PalmOS. I dont have an explanation for MMS but if you are right, that would be great!
    are you using 3G or WIFI when you do this?

Dan Hesse CEO of Sprint definitely said you could talk and surf on the Pre duing the CES show. but - no definitive answer if he was talking about 3G or WIFI surfing.

if you can do it with Sprint on the Instinct, i don't know why you can't do it on the Pre.
    I'm positive you can use data via wifi and talk at the same time like any other CDMA wifi capable phone, but not data via 3G and talk at the same time.
    that was a rhetorical question since the answer was obvious.
    Sorry, sarcasm doesn't translate well into text.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    great links! thanks!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast