1.    #1  
    I didn't see this posted already.
    From Engadget:

MicroSD-to-USB Mobidapter is a smartphone's best friend

Okay, so maybe it's just a microSD-equipped smartphone's best friend, but you get the idea. Unlike traditional [insert flash format here]-to-USB adapters, Elan's Mobidapter provides a direct bridge from your microSD slot to your external USB hard drive. The result? Dead simple phone backups and file transfers, all without the use of a PC in the middle. Elan asserts that the currently unpriced device will begin shipping in mid-June, and if you're still baffled about how this thing operates, check the yawn-inducing demonstration vid after the break.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    The Pre doesn't have MicroSD.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    The Pre doesn't have MicroSD.

Yes, so we really need a MicroUSB port adapter... that'll allowthe phone to read from MicroSD / Flash drives etc. directly used the MicroUSB port, without the need for a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Yes, so we really need a MicroUSB port adapter... that'll allowthe phone to read from MicroSD / Flash drives etc. directly used the MicroUSB port, without the need for a computer.

FAIL... reread the product description.
    Ahhh you edited your post...
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    And that's not what this product does. It seems that it will connect a phone with a microSD slot directly to an external USB drive.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I think the problem with this scenario would be drivers. A micro-USB port on a cell phone allows for charging and for it to be storage device on a PC. Since the PC is running the most of the show with it's sophisticated drivers it is able to do this. What you would need is a storage device that has a Micro-USB connector and emulates SD, MicroSD or something the phone would understand and even then I think you would need to install some sort of driver or software on a phone that doesn't have a built in MicroSD.
    After more thought I remember Seagate was supposed have a solution to this problem with D.A.V.E, which was a portable external drive for cell phones that used bluetooth and wifi. It was a very exciting product and no doubt had it came to the market back in 2007 we would be enjoying it today but for some reason it never came out and I'm guessing it's a technical reason otherwise someone would have made one by now. You can read about it here:

Seagate unveils "D.A.V.E." drive with Bluetooth and WiFi