Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Supposedly the Pre has a proximity AND accelerometer sensors... I haven't heard anything about what a proximity sensor in a phone is... any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4ential treatment View Post
    Supposedly the Pre has a proximity AND accelerometer sensors... I haven't heard anything about what a proximity sensor in a phone is... any ideas?
    It can detect when the phone is close to your face and automatically turns off the display (for when you're talking on the phone).
    its awesome!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    And you can set the phone so if anyone else gets too close it'll yell out, "YOU ARE NOT MY OWNER! STEP AWAY FROM THE PRE!"
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    And you can set the phone so if anyone else gets too close it'll yell out, "YOU ARE NOT MY OWNER! STEP AWAY FROM THE PRE!"
    It also emits a 50 volt shock while it says that.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Actually, if it is programmer accessible, that could potentially be used to make some unique games!
    word
    Or program in a 0.1 kiloton self destruct. Nothing too radical mind you. Just enough to take out 2 or 3 city blocks.
    Hahaha, you guys...you're so funny.

...so when can I get the self destruct? Will it be available at release?
    It will be a future download.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Do we know what the proximity sensor is actually sensing? I certainly expect it to tell the difference between my face and, say, a table - I'd want the screen to remain on if I set the phone down on a table (and there might be a reason for me to do it screen-down). Body temperature?
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    Do we know what the proximity sensor is actually sensing? I certainly expect it to tell the difference between my face and, say, a table - I'd want the screen to remain on if I set the phone down on a table (and there might be a reason for me to do it screen-down). Body temperature?
    It's not turning off, just turning off the screen, mainly in phone calls. If ever you put the phone face down, you won't be needing the screen anyway, right?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    I'd say it's most likely just an ability of the capacitive touch screen. Your face is like one big finger taking up the entire screen.
    If not, it could just be an infrared thing like on automatic urinals, faucets, paper towel dispensers, etc.

Still, why would the screen need to be on if you have it face down on a table. It would likely turn back on then when you flip it over just like when it turns back on from pulling it away from your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFripple View Post
    It can detect when the phone is close to your face and automatically turns off the display (for when you're talking on the phone).
    great news...this is one of the smaller details i really like about the iphone...good job Palm!
    Did u hear that explosion downtown ?? I think one of the palm real reviewers just lost his head ... a but w/ the self distruct program.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    great news...this is one of the smaller details i really like about the iphone...good job Palm!
    Is that a typo or am I not getting it?

Anyway, the Pre is a capacitive touch screen, which means anything other than the human touch does not register as a 'touch' (which is also why stylus cannot be used on the iPhone and Pre). The Pre probably will be able to tell the difference between a face and a (or many) fingers (one huge contact point on the screen vs several small contact points). If the proximity sensor is based on the screen, that is.

It might be something else. But the idea is there, like the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by baineteo View Post
    Is that a typo or am I not getting it?

Anyway, the Pre is a capacitive touch screen, which means anything other than the human touch does not register as a 'touch' (which is also why stylus cannot be used on the iPhone and Pre). The Pre probably will be able to tell the difference between a face and a (or many) fingers (one huge contact point on the screen vs several small contact points). If the proximity sensor is based on the screen, that is.

It might be something else. But the idea is there, like the iPhone.
    no typo...im just saying when i used my brother's iphone i thought this was a great feature...if palm is really implementing it on the pre then thats great...i cant wait to use it!
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    no typo...im just saying when i used my brother's iphone i thought this was a great feature...if palm is really implementing it on the pre then thats great...i cant wait to use it!
    I agree with you! I loved this feature when I had the iphone. It is the only thing I miss on my G1. I hate having to push a button to get the screen to wake up when I pull it away from my face.
    I think the main benefit of the sensor would be knowing that when talking I'm not going to be pressing buttons with my face. When the phone is close it can disable the touch screen. No more turning the BT radio on and off for me!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4ential treatment View Post
    Proximity Sensor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast