Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Yeah.... that only works if you are the first to respond lol
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    I;ve never seen that google site before .. i;m in love. this will now be sent to all the stupid people i know
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I'd say it's most likely just an ability of the capacitive touch screen. Your face is like one big finger taking up the entire screen.
    If not, it could just be an infrared thing like on automatic urinals, faucets, paper towel dispensers, etc.

Still, why would the screen need to be on if you have it face down on a table. It would likely turn back on then when you flip it over just like when it turns back on from pulling it away from your face.
    What you describe as the first option would not be a 'proximity sensor'. Following the amusing link posted in this thread to find a definition of 'proximity sensor', one finds "detect the presence of nearby objects without any physical contact" (emphasis added). Now, if this is in fact the way Pre works, I don't have a problem with it, sounds like it'll work fine - but in that case it shouldn't be called a 'proximity sensor'. On the other hand, if there is a true proximity sensor, I'd like to know how it works - what it is sensing. I'm sure it'll work fine though. And you're right, it won't matter if the screen is turned off when the phone is face down on a table.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I hope nobody is laying their Pre face down on a table -- scratches!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12