1.    #1  
    I've been a diehard Smartphone fan since smartphones were even popular via the use of an always-there PDA. My first smartphone was the Audiovox SMT5600 running Smartphone 2003, then onto a Treo 650, then Cingular 8125, Cingular 8525, Samsung Blackjack, Treo 750, HTC Tilt, Blackjack II, iPhone 3G, Blackberry Curve, Treo Pro, Blackberry Bold...probably a few I'm forgetting in there.

Anyways, I always come back to Windows Mobile Professional (currently on my Treo Pro and very happy). Sure it's not perfect - the infamous WM lag, resistive touchscreen, a dated GUI (remedied by programs like SPB Mobile Shell or HTC's fantastic TF3D2), slow updates, etc. However, WM still does PIM right, it's highly customizable (probably THE MOST customizable mobile OS out, take a look at XDA-Developers or our own T|C forums), very powerful, any type of form factor you can think of (why is the QWERTYbar so elusive on other platforms???), and good 3rd party app availability. No other OS blends business functionality and customizability like WM. So what do you guys think? Will the Pre and webOS get me to put WM on the back burner until WM7 finally debuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Will the Pre and webOS get me to put WM on the back burner until WM7 finally debuts?
    Maybe that, and even beyond. Who knows, you may even put WM7 on the back burner, and turn off the gas.

Actually though, I think WinMo is too big to be done away with. However, I think WebOS could be a contender. In spite of MS's "inside information" on how to get WinMo to interact with their desktop, appliations, and servers; it took them a long time (about 9 years, by my calculations) to kill off the Palm OS. If WebOS is as successful against the big giant, I say good for 'em.
    Some of the attributes that you mention (customizable?) are questionable. Some other attributes (resistive touchscreen) are merely a "feature" of the hardware technology (ok... can't handle multi-touch).

webOS allows for a much more customizable GUI what with HTML/ CSS and all. More and more exciting applications will be available for webOS. Applications like Palm Revolt and Font Smoother should be possible easily. The best thing is - hopefully - all this will scale in sync with advances in web (HTML/ CSS/ Javascript) technology which is what is really unique about webOS.

Frankly, webOS makes WM (and that other horrible thing, Symbian) look like the dark ages. To an extent, even the iPhone OS looks quiet primitive (other than the GUI). The development environment for the iPhone appears good only for f**t apps. Every time I say this about WM or Symbian, there are always people who say that I'm wrong... making me conclude that my criterion for "evaluation" is different from their's.

Finally... webOS is not the end... in our lifetimes we will probably see other OSs being developed for smartphones. This same drama will be played over again and again.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Maybe that, and even beyond. Who knows, you may even put WM7 on the back burner, and turn off the gas.

Actually though, I think WinMo is too big to be done away with. However, I think WebOS could be a contender. In spite of MS's "inside information" on how to get WinMo to interact with their desktop, appliations, and servers; it took them a long time (about 9 years, by my calculations) to kill off the Palm OS. If WebOS is as successful against the big giant, I say good for 'em.
    ...and Microsoft didn't even kill off the Palm OS, Palm just decided it was time to retire it. Think about how well the Centro sold...and well you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Some of the attributes that you mention (customizable?) are questionable. Some other attributes (resistive touchscreen) are merely a "feature" of the hardware technology (ok... can't handle multi-touch).

webOS allows for a much more customizable GUI what with HTML/ CSS and all. More and more exciting applications will be available for webOS. Applications like Palm Revolt and Font Smoother should be possible easily. The best thing is - hopefully - all this will scale in sync with advances in web (HTML/ CSS/ Javascript) technology which is what is really unique about webOS.

Frankly, webOS makes WM (and that other horrible thing, Symbian) look like the dark ages. To an extent, even the iPhone OS looks quiet primitive (other than the GUI). The development environment for the iPhone appears good only for f**t apps. Every time I say this about WM or Symbian, there are always people who say that I'm wrong... making me conclude that my criterion for "evaluation" is different from their's.

Finally... webOS is not the end... in our lifetimes we will probably see other OSs being developed for smartphones. This same drama will be played over again and again.
    I wholly disagree with you on your assertion that WM isn't customizable - you can make your WM device do ANYTHING - custom roms, programs for just about everything, etc. It remains to be seen how customizable the webOS really is, but like I said, I have faith in Palm.

The webOS really seems to combine everything from an adult's life into one device. They have communication DOWN - from native integration of Facebook, google talk/gmail, Microsoft Exchange, threaded SMS, etc. with Synergy and making the person you're talking with the focal point - and not the method of communication - communication will be simply outstanding. Palm's PIM suite has always been the best from the mobile OSes - fully complete and powerful, so I think that the webOS will have these types of business needs covered (and what's up with these new OSes regarding Tasks as an unnecessary component of PIM, I think it's more important that Calendar sometimes). Then you have what appears to be good (but not yet GREAT) multimedia capabilities. The speed of the webbrowser sounds promising, but the webOS seems to be something to keep an eye on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I wholly disagree with you on your assertion that WM isn't customizable - you can make your WM device do ANYTHING - custom roms, programs for just about everything, etc.
    gadgetluva, you misunderstood what I meant, or I did not convey my thoughts properly. I did not say WM was not customizable - it is next only to Linux for yucky home-brew GUI experiments being thrust on unsuspecting users. What I meant was, customizability as a criteria for OS evaluation was suspect.

It initially used to be a big thing with me, customizing the environment (kbd shortcuts, colors, "home" drive locations, partitions, vi macros etc.) every time I upgrade or change the HDD... but now I've given-up. I just go with what comes out of the box. Now I have one partition and one HUGE home directory for storing everything. If I want more space, I just need to delete one directory. It's all just a big, massive waste of time anyway.
  6.    #6  
    gadgetluva, you misunderstood what I meant, or I did not convey my thoughts properly. I did not say WM was not customizable - it is next only to Linux for yucky home-brew GUI experiments being thrust on unsuspecting users. What I meant was, customizability as a criteria for OS evaluation was suspect.

It initially used to be a big thing with me, customizing the environment (kbd shortcuts, colors, "home" drive locations, partitions, vi macros etc.) every time I upgrade or change the HDD... but now I've given-up. I just go with what comes out of the box. Now I have one partition and one HUGE home directory for storing everything. If I want more space, I just need to delete one directory. It's all just a big, massive waste of time anyway.
    Ah I see what you mean, I'm looking at it more from a viewpoint that no mobile OS will ever really give you exactly what you want out of the box, but being able to customize your device for your needs will do just fine for what you need.
    When it comes to the PIM though, is it going to be more iphone like or smartphone like? Will it be as detailed as the PalmOS one was or as detailed as Outlook? Will it be dumbed down like Google is? Are there separate fields for first and last names? Can it take multiples of everything? How manycategories can things be organized into? Will you be able to sort by various fields (company, last name, title and such)?

Can you have multiple contacts associated with one calendar event? Will it link contacts to calendar events even? Can I see my history of things with a specific contact?

This isn't a rant, but it'd be nice to see what the actual functionality is or will I be waiting on Iambic to bring that all back to me? I think Outlook did some of those things. Haven't seen that kind of functionality demonstrated, and I haven't seen the name fields separated out either.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    until palm allows real filesystem level access and a real file browser, it won't really compete with winmo
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

I 100% agree with everything that you have said, and I couldn't have said it better myself!... but more importantly....

Have we gotten to the point where we cant even say fart?....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    What if Motion Aps was able to make WM act like the classic POS.......on a card within the PRE....would love that!!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    What if Motion Aps was able to make WM act like the classic POS.......on a card within the PRE....would love that!!!!

IGO
    ^ I was just coming to this thread to post that.

You know the landslide of people coming from PalmOS because they have an Emulator - Cool at that - So much Cooler than Styltap

Now just think.... WM Emulator
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    Yeah... that would be like buying a sleek sports car and using it (part of the time) as a garbage truck.

- mvk