Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. PreDogs's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
       #1  
    Keep in mind, the analysts that provide the upgrades and downgrades are working for the brokers. Either directly, or "independently" where they say they have no conflict of interest. Brokers only make money when you buy or sell, so it is in their interest to keep flip flopping between upgrade and downgrade. And before you think the independent analysts are so clean, look at their websites. Their advertisers are mostly brokers.

    Which brings be to thestreet.com. I read their little piece yesterday. Very disjointed, out of touch and as negative and down as it could possibly be. They didn't seem to care about Palm releasing a significant product, all they could do was harp on the timing and how the pricing and release didn't match some mysterious concensus that they felt was better than Palm executed.

    So...I surfed thestreet.com and you can too. Type in the url, and surprise, you get a full screen splash ad. VERIZON! It locks there until you tell it to go to the site (again). Site pops open, surprise again. VERIZON banner across the top. Middle right, a full-sized VERIZON box ad. So, apparently, Palm's biggest failing in selling the world's most capable phone for only $200 with only $70/month (making it quite affordable) was that they didn't outspend other service providers on thestreet.com site.

    Booyah Jimbo! SELL OUT, SELL OUT, SELL OUT! (sound of bull's pooping) Your site is cheesier than a Kraft dividend paid in dairy proucts. I'm downgrading your integrity and marking your effort to-enlighten as underperform. I don't care if you bash Palm, they've done plenty wrong. But put a little more effort and time into it. A sloppy hack of palm while bordered with Verizon ads is very sloppy. Creating a non story out of rumors and perceptions with very few facts.

    Introduction prices verses post debut pricing are two different things, but your sloppy writer should know that. When ATT/Apple actually anounces a lower rate and Sprint doesn't counter or beat it, then you have a story. What a hack job.

    Sprint Shows Pre-Posterous Timing | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
  2. #2  
    Ha ha! You said "Cramer" and "integrity" in the same sentence. Silly rabbit.
  3. #3  
    "Stop watching CNBC. It will make you stupid and poor. If you must watch, turn off the sound. It becomes an excellent substitute for Animal Planet." - William Bernstein
  4. #4  
    Its a shame that Jim Cramer is bashed by so many people. Put yourself in his shoes and look at what he does for so many smaller investors out there. he puts his word on the line evry night and is more than happy to say when he is wrong.

    If someone made every prediction and knew exactly when a stock would go up or down and by how much they wouldn't be on tv. NO ONE CAN DO THAT!

    If he gets 51% of his calls correct then he is WAY ABOVE AVERAGE. Give him a break or go stick your neck out on the line every night.
  5. PreDogs's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
       #5  
    This is about integrity, not stock picking. The culture at thestreet.com is hideous. He cofounded a site that is playing to it's advertisers and not to quality analysis.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Its a shame that Jim Cramer is bashed by so many people. Put yourself in his shoes and look at what he does for so many smaller investors out there. he puts his word on the line evry night and is more than happy to say when he is wrong.

    If someone made every prediction and knew exactly when a stock would go up or down and by how much they wouldn't be on tv. NO ONE CAN DO THAT!

    If he gets 51% of his calls correct then he is WAY ABOVE AVERAGE. Give him a break or go stick your neck out on the line every night.
    I'd have to agree with you on all points.


    The stock got downgraded by some analysts today, so that's probably why it was down almost 9%.

    Also, only somebody completely blinded by Pre love can say that releasing the Pre a few days before the next iPhone announced is a good thing.

    I actually own some Palm shares myself, so look at this recent drop as a good time to pick up some shares if you really believe in Palm and webOS.
  7. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #7  
    If you think Jim Cramer has something more than entertainment value, check this analysis out:

    The Worth of Jim Cramer's Advice - Eric Tyson

    Pay special attention to his recommendations to buy investment bankers. He was recommending "buy" before they all tanked.

    Overall his recommendations outperformed the market 46% of the time.

    Given his record, if Jim Cramer does not like Palm, that's a good thing.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreDogs View Post
    Keep in mind, the analysts that provide the upgrades and downgrades are working for the brokers. Either directly, or "independently" where they say they have no conflict of interest. Brokers only make money when you buy or sell, so it is in their interest to keep flip flopping between upgrade and downgrade. And before you think the independent analysts are so clean, look at their websites. Their advertisers are mostly brokers.

    Which brings be to thestreet.com. I read their little piece yesterday. Very disjointed, out of touch and as negative and down as it could possibly be. They didn't seem to care about Palm releasing a significant product, all they could do was harp on the timing and how the pricing and release didn't match some mysterious concensus that they felt was better than Palm executed.

    So...I surfed thestreet.com and you can too. Type in the url, and surprise, you get a full screen splash ad. VERIZON! It locks there until you tell it to go to the site (again). Site pops open, surprise again. VERIZON banner across the top. Middle right, a full-sized VERIZON box ad. So, apparently, Palm's biggest failing in selling the world's most capable phone for only $200 with only $70/month (making it quite affordable) was that they didn't outspend other service providers on thestreet.com site.

    Booyah Jimbo! SELL OUT, SELL OUT, SELL OUT! (sound of bull's pooping) Your site is cheesier than a Kraft dividend paid in dairy proucts. I'm downgrading your integrity and marking your effort to-enlighten as underperform. I don't care if you bash Palm, they've done plenty wrong. But put a little more effort and time into it. A sloppy hack of palm while bordered with Verizon ads is very sloppy. Creating a non story out of rumors and perceptions with very few facts.

    Introduction prices verses post debut pricing are two different things, but your sloppy writer should know that. When ATT/Apple actually anounces a lower rate and Sprint doesn't counter or beat it, then you have a story. What a hack job.

    Sprint Shows Pre-Posterous Timing | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    Hmmm, i haven't seen an ad in ages...must be because i use Firefox and Adblock + . I got tired of seeing before and after pictures of people with horrible teeth splashed all over my screen. Ofcourse i support Treocentral so i set it to allow their ads through.

    Now i just went to thestreet.com and whadayaknow...no Verizon ads. hehe
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    If you think Jim Cramer has something more than entertainment value, check this analysis out:

    The Worth of Jim Cramer's Advice - Eric Tyson

    Pay special attention to his recommendations to buy investment bankers. He was recommending "buy" before they all tanked.

    Overall his recommendations outperformed the market 46% of the time.

    Given his record, if Jim Cramer does not like Palm, that's a good thing.
    Actually, Cramer said PALM was OK to buy on his show last week.

    Taken from thestreet.com:

    He recommended buying Palm(PALM Quote) until it releases its Pre phone and then selling, "because that's what happened with the iPhone. The hype was so great."

    He said that Palm could end up being a long-term player, though. "Sell some after the hype, but then if it goes back down, you buy it. Palm's got some really smart people behind it."
  10. #10  
    If the nay-sayers on this thread for 1) have actually traded stocks before or 2) have a finance degree you would know the classic Wall st. saying...

    "Buy the Rumor, Sell the News."

    ie: release date out, sell. Stock will come back up towards launch, sell June 5th.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    If you think Jim Cramer has something more than entertainment value, check this analysis out:

    The Worth of Jim Cramer's Advice - Eric Tyson

    Pay special attention to his recommendations to buy investment bankers. He was recommending "buy" before they all tanked.

    Overall his recommendations outperformed the market 46% of the time.

    Given his record, if Jim Cramer does not like Palm, that's a good thing.
    To be fair, pretty much every stock guy was recommending these financial things before it all went south.


    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    If the nay-sayers on this thread for 1) have actually traded stocks before or 2) have a finance degree you would know the classic Wall st. saying...

    "Buy the Rumor, Sell the News."

    ie: release date out, sell. Stock will come back up towards launch, sell June 5th.
    Yup.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  12. PreDogs's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
       #12  
    Framing a sloppy slash piece with competitor's ads is the crime. The story skipped all positive points and laid out this mysterious rumor filled path of proposed pain. It's a story that was not fit for publishing and the only legit reason to post it was to please a client.

    The Pre will sell two days (at least) before Apple gets around to announcing what's in their future. That future will likely include only mildly evelotionary upgrades.

    Mentioning that the Pre will need $70 minimum service would be a positive, but the writer offsets that with a weak rumor that ATT might offer $60 service for iPhone. Well, anybody that knows the industry or did their homework, knows Apple is a premium brand and always supports premium pricing. And ATT is a high overhead operation and couldn't offer a killer price like that. If they do manage a cut rate price, surely:

    1) There will be service compromises (data slower or not unlimited and few voice minutes).
    2) Sprint will respond with cheaper rates still.

    Sprint's bread and butter is value and that's their saving grace. The writer also missed opportunities to mention Pre will have apps in their app store when it debuts, something I don't believe iPhone accomplished on day one.

    A much better story is posted below. As I said, bash Palm and Sprint all you like, but come with a valid fact set. And don't try to compare announced facts with idle weak speculation of what will happen at ATT/iPhone that doesn't fit their historic actions. The story was total cheese. It looked like a six grader wrote a book report based on the seven pictures in the book without readign a single word.

    Palm Pre Buzz: Monthly Costs Will Be Lower Than the iPhone - Digits - WSJ

    The writer, clearly did their homework, mentions some of the fluff thestreet.com had, but develops A STORY WITH INSIGHT.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Its a shame that Jim Cramer is bashed by so many people. Put yourself in his shoes and look at what he does for so many smaller investors out there. he puts his word on the line evry night and is more than happy to say when he is wrong.

    If someone made every prediction and knew exactly when a stock would go up or down and by how much they wouldn't be on tv. NO ONE CAN DO THAT!

    If he gets 51% of his calls correct then he is WAY ABOVE AVERAGE. Give him a break or go stick your neck out on the line every night.
    He doesn't get 51% of his calls correct though.

    Well I can't apparently post links till I have 10 posts, but if you look up Jim Cramer coin flip on google, you will get the consumerist link with some site that tracks EACH one of his calls.

    I think the dude is quite smart, but he was embarrassed on the Daily Show for the sheer amount of dirty **** that goes on that he does not speak out against.
  14. sub150's Avatar
    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG James View Post
    He doesn't get 51% of his calls correct though.

    Well I can't apparently post links till I have 10 posts, but if you look up Jim Cramer coin flip on google, you will get the consumerist link with some site that tracks EACH one of his calls.

    I think the dude is quite smart, but he was embarrassed on the Daily Show for the sheer amount of dirty **** that goes on that he does not speak out against.
    A lot of people would be embarrassed if they were interviewed like that. Stewart asked him anything and everything. That was one of the most "F you" interviews I have ever seen. I would love to see him interview someone with more power like he did Cramer. That interview was uncalled for, and I'm sure Cramer was shocked, but it was interesting.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
  15. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreDogs View Post
    Keep in mind, the analysts that provide the upgrades and downgrades are working for the brokers. Either directly, or "independently" where they say they have no conflict of interest. Brokers only make money when you buy or sell, so it is in their interest to keep flip flopping between upgrade and downgrade. And before you think the independent analysts are so clean, look at their websites. Their advertisers are mostly brokers.

    Which brings be to thestreet.com. I read their little piece yesterday. Very disjointed, out of touch and as negative and down as it could possibly be. They didn't seem to care about Palm releasing a significant product, all they could do was harp on the timing and how the pricing and release didn't match some mysterious concensus that they felt was better than Palm executed.

    So...I surfed thestreet.com and you can too. Type in the url, and surprise, you get a full screen splash ad. VERIZON! It locks there until you tell it to go to the site (again). Site pops open, surprise again. VERIZON banner across the top. Middle right, a full-sized VERIZON box ad. So, apparently, Palm's biggest failing in selling the world's most capable phone for only $200 with only $70/month (making it quite affordable) was that they didn't outspend other service providers on thestreet.com site.

    Booyah Jimbo! SELL OUT, SELL OUT, SELL OUT! (sound of bull's pooping) Your site is cheesier than a Kraft dividend paid in dairy proucts. I'm downgrading your integrity and marking your effort to-enlighten as underperform. I don't care if you bash Palm, they've done plenty wrong. But put a little more effort and time into it. A sloppy hack of palm while bordered with Verizon ads is very sloppy. Creating a non story out of rumors and perceptions with very few facts.

    Introduction prices verses post debut pricing are two different things, but your sloppy writer should know that. When ATT/Apple actually anounces a lower rate and Sprint doesn't counter or beat it, then you have a story. What a hack job.

    Sprint Shows Pre-Posterous Timing | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    Wait.. you think he picks the ads on his site?

    Like everyone else, he sells space and the ads are served up by a 3rd party provider - I get a BP ad because it tracks that my IP is in the UK.
  16. #16  
    "Cramer" and "integrity" dont go together in the same sentence.
  17. #17  
    PreCentral has iphone ads.

Posting Permissions