Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    sorry as this may have been mentioned earlier but what will the phone be using the accelerometer for? i havent heard anything about it lately, and i was hoping that palm would be using it for the phone, not just for 3rd party apps as i believe this is very cool software and also appeals to the fat middle.
    At the very least, web browsing (rotate into landscape) and photo viewing. So far everything else is fixed orientation. But as far as I know, 3rd party apps will have access to the accelerometer, so you can expect all sorts of interesting motion-enabled apps for the Pre.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Um... go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search for "Palm Pre".
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    An accelerometer is not software, it's a sensor. One thing it will be used for is going from portrait to landscape with the web browser. Not sure what else it will be used for.
  5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Will probably work for the web browser, pix, video....
    From the videos it also seems to be a bit more responsive than the Iphone's. That could just be the faster processor as well as other things.
  7.    #7  
    so nothing interesting, just web and pictures?
    Are you asking if it will be used for games and such? Depends...not many Apps have been previewed yet.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    You could use them to tell G Forces, accelleration and speed. You'ld be better off using the gps for speed due to accuracy though.

It would be kind of interesting if they denied warranty claims because the device said you threw it up against a wall.
  10.    #10  
    no i mean in the phone software, not third party apps
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboard1219 View Post
    so nothing interesting, just web and pictures?
    I don't understand what you expect to hear? The iPhone doesn't use it for anything cool either...it's used to detect how the phone is being held.
    You can upside down with the accelerometer tho...thats neat haha.

But yeah, stock wise, nothing great really....just web browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I don't understand what you expect to hear? The iPhone doesn't use it for anything cool either...it's used to detect how the phone is being held.
    Well, they took away the shaken baby app, but my son-in-law has this "really cool" app for his iPhone. It's a picture of a closed switchblade. You "flick" the iPhone just right, and the closed switchblade turns into an open one!

Oh yeah, it makes this really cool "schhwwiiiiccckkkkkk" sound when it does it.

I told him, I wanted to take a picture of two iPhonegeeks having a "knife fight" with them.

He actually blushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, they took away the shaken baby app, but my son-in-law has this "really cool" app for his iPhone. It's a picture of a closed switchblade. You "flick" the iPhone just right, and the closed switchblade turns into an open one!

Oh yeah, it makes this really cool "schhwwiiiiccckkkkkk" sound when it does it.

I told him, I wanted to take a picture of two iPhonegeeks having a "knife fight" with them.

He actually blushed.
    That just shot holes in your credibility.
    I think from what I remember, the accelerometer will be used for different viewing situation, between panoramic, and verticle. As far as other softer is concerned, I don't think we're gonna see many crazy motion sensing games for a while. palm isn't letting developers dive that far into SDK.
    I love lolcats
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Application: Pre Beer. Why not, there's i-Beer..
    Pre Lightsaber.
    Pre Shotgun
    Pre suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Pre suicide.
    Pre Life-Alert
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast