Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Will probably work for the web browser, pix, video....
    They have done some cool things with the iPhone apps and the accelerometer. For example, you can shake it and it rearranges the order of songs in your playlist. One app lets you use it as a level, and some games you use it as a steering wheel to manuver your car. Lots of potential, I hope the Palm developers take advantage of it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I don't understand what you expect to hear? The iPhone doesn't use it for anything cool either...it's used to detect how the phone is being held.
    You can shake it, and it will rearrange the order of the song in the current playlist you are listening to.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I am hoping for something like this

Gizmodo - iPhone Apps We Like: Dynolicious Car Performance Meter - Apps we like

That way I will never think about getting a iTouch
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, they took away the shaken baby app, but my son-in-law has this "really cool" app for his iPhone. It's a picture of a closed switchblade. You "flick" the iPhone just right, and the closed switchblade turns into an open one!

Oh yeah, it makes this really cool "schhwwiiiiccckkkkkk" sound when it does it.

I told him, I wanted to take a picture of two iPhonegeeks having a "knife fight" with them.

He actually blushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    They have done some cool things with the iPhone apps and the accelerometer. For example, you can shake it and it rearranges the order of songs in your playlist. One app lets you use it as a level, and some games you use it as a steering wheel to manuver your car. Lots of potential, I hope the Palm developers take advantage of it.

The question was for what the phone itself uses it for, not third party apps. My dad has 3.0 on his iPhone and it adds the ability to shake your phone to undo something you typed but you end up looking like an ***** and it's easier to just hit delete.
    You can shake it, and it will rearrange the order of the song in the current playlist you are listening to.

Yeah, that's a cool feature. Forgot about that (I guess because it's more on the iPod side of the iPhone, not for the phone functionality and I was thinking what else an accelerometer does for phone features besides reorientation)
    The question was for what the phone itself uses it for, not third party apps. My dad has 3.0 on his iPhone and it adds the ability to shake your phone to undo something you typed but you end up looking like an ***** and it's easier to just hit delete.

Rearranging the song order is a basic function of the phone, not a 3rd party app. Don't forget it's an iPod as well as a phone.

Yeah, that's a cool feature. Forgot about that (I guess because it's more on the iPod side of the iPhone, not for the phone functionality and I was thinking what else an accelerometer does for phone features besides reorientation)
    I'm not sure it really does anything for the pure phone function. After all when I'm making a call I have it next to my face and can't see the screen. Outside of that, I'm not sure what all it can do. Some of the apps on it take advantage of it to change the display orientation, that about all. But then Apple has really made an effort to reach out to the developers and let them do something with it. Kinda like "heres a cool thing this phone can do, what can you guys make it do" concept. One thing to remember that Apple is marketing this as not only a phone, but an MP3/movie player with internet capabilities. With over 1 million apps available, I'd say they're doing an okay job so far.

pre birth control
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I'm not sure it really does anything for the pure phone function. After all when I'm making a call I have it next to my face and can't see the screen. Outside of that, I'm not sure what all it can do. Some of the apps on it take advantage of it to change the display orientation, that about all. But then Apple has really made an effort to reach out to the developers and let them do something with it. Kinda like "heres a cool thing this phone can do, what can you guys make it do" concept. One thing to remember that Apple is marketing this as not only a phone, but an MP3/movie player with internet capabilities. With over 1 million apps available, I'd say they're doing an okay job so far.

Yeah. I would like Palm to allow shake to shuffle on their Mp3 players but that's a longshot!

And I do enjoy the iPhone, my family has a few and it's definitely a great phone with great apps (crazy how it went from a phone that didnt allow apps to an app powerhouse). It's mainly the network that keeps me away. I do not like AT&T, their prices or their Data coverage and speeds.
    I had a tv several years ago that had a "bang on it to work" feature. Very cool.

So i like that shake thing. My printer has that too. Take toner out, shake, put it back in.

I wonder what happens if you stomp on the iphone?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    I am hoping for something like this
    Gizmodo - iPhone Apps We Like: Dynolicious Car Performance Meter - Apps we like[/url]

That way I will never think about getting a iTouch
    The developers of Dynolicious have said that the current setup of the accelerometer won't allow their program to work with the Pre (I'd post a link if the forum would let me - you can go to BunsenTech DOT com and then the forums to see the discussion.

Anyone know why this might be?
    Quote Originally Posted by krohde View Post
    The developers of Dynolicious have said that the current setup of the accelerometer won't allow their program to work with the Pre (I'd post a link if the forum would let me - you can go to BunsenTech DOT com and then the forums to see the discussion.

Most likely due to the stock 4HZ event rate from the accelerometer. They wouldn't be able to make this app for the stock pre since Palm has not given a way to change that from the Mojo. However with the accelerometer service I made, a homebrew application can change this frequency on the fly. Opening up the opportunity for applications like this that require a higher accelerometer event frequency.

Application:AccelService - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krohde View Post

I developed the inner code for several iPhone apps that use the same technology as Dynolicious (in fact one of these apps competes directly with Dynolicious). In order to accurately integrate acceleration to get velocity and distance traveled (and then HP, etc), you need at least 50-100Hz data rates and very fast computational performance. Right now, the lack of a high enough accelerometer rate in the official SDK is the main problem. The computational performance is borderline, but I think I could make it work.

We are ready to bring these apps to the webOS when the SDK allows it, but I can't say more than that. One of the apps is actually a little bit better than Dynolicious in terms of capability/features, and I think it would be nice to have on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I developed the inner code for several iPhone apps that use the same technology as Dynolicious (in fact one of these apps competes directly with Dynolicious). In order to accurately integrate acceleration to get velocity and distance traveled (and then HP, etc), you need at least 50-100Hz data rates and very fast computational performance. Right now, the lack of a high enough accelerometer rate in the official SDK is the main problem. The computational performance is borderline, but I think I could make it work.

We are ready to bring these apps to the webOS when the SDK allows it, but I can't say more than that. One of the apps is actually a little bit better than Dynolicious in terms of capability/features, and I think it would be nice to have on the Pre.

You can always test using the above linked accel service to have your applications in a more ready-state when/if Palm releases the ability to modify the accelerometer rate in the official Mojo.

Or you can even just modify it via the /sys attribute if you are comfortable with linux. Palm has exported the ability to change the rate via sysfs in linux, so it indicates to me they have plans to bring this out to the Mojo in the future.

If you run into any problems with the service let me know, I haven't used/tested it for a while so if anyone finds that it isn't working correctly let me know.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12