1.    #1  
    Best Buy answers questions on Palm Pre day : Boy Genius Report

We’ve been getting an enormous response to the news that Best Buy’s Palm Pres will go for $100 less (well, basically) and we hit up Best Buy to try and get some answers on various questions you guys have been asking. Straight Talk Express style. Hit the jump for some possibly valuable info that could save your *** from going home without webOS in your pants.

Scott Anderson, director of merchandising at Best Buy Mobile took some time out to clarify the following for us:

Q: First off, what’s up with the stock situation? Forget rumors, Dan Hesse himself has said there’s probably a greater chance of getting a nice Sprint customer service rep than nailing a Pre on launch day. How’s Best Buy’s stock going to be?

A: Like most of the significant handset launches, we expect inventory to be in limited supply for the first 4-8 weeks.

Q: What about preorders? A lot of people are incredibly excited over the Palm Pre and that the device will be available at Best Buy with an “instant” mail-in-rebate. Will you guys be doing any preorders, reservations, etc? How will you deal with long lines if there are some?

A: The addition of the Palm Pre expands our already large assortment of smartphones. We are excited about the opportunity to present consumers with many choices and solutions as they look to meet their individual mobile technology needs. Best Buy Mobile is initiating a “ticketing process” beginning on June 6. Meaning, if any store were to sell through all of its inventory, the store would begin to log customer names in an effort to prioritize them for the next shipment’s arrival.

Q: Ok, cool. Will every Best Buy location being selling the Pre or is there a “limited” launch like we reported a little while back?

A: Every Best Buy Mobile store that offers Sprint phones, which is nearly 1000 stores, will have the Pre.

So there you have it folks. If you have any additional questions hit us in the comments and we’ll try and pass them on. You can also stop by Best Buy Mobile for free upgrade checks to see if you’re eligible for a new smartphone. That will help to speed things up on launch day, you know, if you’re the nice person type.
    I spoke to a few contacts at BestBuy today and was told that BestBuy will have enough Pres to meed demand. These aren't BestBuy sales people either. I just thought Hesse's statement was ridiculous and wanted to find out what's really going on. I was also told about the ticketing process if they did run out of stock, I was told that they expect to have enough Pres on launch day especially at larger stores. So don't believe Dan "the hype" Hesse. He's already screwing up the launch with his ridiculous statement.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Hmm..CEO...or random best buy employee...CEO...best buy employee...

You know, i'm done speculating, i'll have to wait for myself to see who is telling the truth or not.

If the guy who was interviewed said supply will be tight, that to me is fine....I don't think Dan Hesse meant....only 5 phones at each store.

400,000-500,000 is prob. first shipment. Unless this does iPhone 3G worldwide numbers, that should be good enough for the first shipment.
    I spoke to a BestBuy Corporate employee, not some kid answering the phone at BestBuy. There is no way in hell that the launch would be in 4 retail stores on the same day if demand was not expected to be met. Sure, some stores will probably sell out, but Hesse shot himself in the foot with that ridiculous statement.

I'm surprised that Palm, or Lynn Fox has not issued a statement. Palm has been ordering these phones for months now. A big marketing blitz was promised, but Hesse saying they're not advertising because they can't meet demand??? He was trying to create hype with that statement, but what it did was make Sprint look ridiculous. They spent $100 million advertising the Samsung Instinct last year before the iPhone 3G launch. It's unbelievable to me to not advertise the phone that could potentially be the 1st real competitor to the iPhone, we have done a better job advertising the Pre.

Even if there's a shred of truth to not meeting demand, you still advertise, you are launching the phone on June 6th with enough stock or not. You need to get the word out to non-techie people. Palm must be pissed, and they should be.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I spoke to a BestBuy Corporate employee, not some kid answering the phone at BestBuy. There is no way in hell that the launch would be in 4 retail stores on the same day if demand was not expected to be met. Sure, some stores will probably sell out, but Hesse shot himself in the foot with that ridiculous statement.

I'm surprised that Palm, or Lynn Fox has not issued a statement. Palm has been ordering these phones for months now. A big marketing blitz was promised, but Hesse saying they're not advertising because they can't meet demand??? He was trying to create hype with that statement, but what it did was make Sprint look ridiculous. They spent $100 million advertising the Samsung Instinct last year before the iPhone 3G launch. It's unbelievable to me to not advertise the phone that could potentially be the 1st real competitor to the iPhone, we have done a better job advertising the Pre.

Even if there's a shred of truth to not meeting demand, you still advertise, you are launching the phone on June 6th with enough stock or not. You need to get the word out to non-techie people. Palm must be pissed, and they should be.
    I agree!! Makes no sense ... maybe Hesse thinks he will create some kind of hysteria as in omg i need to be there when the store opens because they wont have any left and than i won't be able to get one until xmas ... (which by the way i am pondering if a bigger memory pre will be available by than which would really drive early pre buyers nuts ... )
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I still have yet to see what the upgrade price will be. I just got off of the phone with Best Buy's Mobile line (888 #) and the rep said that the $199.99 is ONLY for NEW customers. He could not give me an upgrade price and said to keep checking their website or to call in a few days. Does anyone have any idea what the upgrade price will be? I'm guessing $269.99. Best Buy has been upping their upgrade prices lately.
    If I were Palm I'd be pretty ticked off but ONLY if Sprint plans on going through with trying to perpetuate these shenanigans on launch day. Nintendo did this with the Wii yes but Palm is in absolutely no position for Sprint to claim shortages, artificial or not. They need phones in the hands of customers who will pay for Sprint's services. They aren't making money off the phone as you all know. Of course, if Hesse is lying through his teeth I have no problem with that. Business is business. 1) You create a furor. 2) You save money buy not advertising!
    BTW, will Best Buy be doing online orders for the Pre in advance of the store opening? At what time would they have the website open for ordering the Pre?
    deadpanwalking - ummm, if there really are shortages, wouldn't Palm be at least partially responsible for them? Here are some scenarios:

1) Lack of parts availability - there have been numerous reports in the past of a shortage of touchscreens of the type used on the Pre.
    2) Lack of capital - we all know that Palm has limited capital available, and in this credit market, it's not really easy to borrow either. I figure they have to put up at least part of the total manufacturing cost of the units prior to taking delivery. They may not have had enough capital to pay for a million (or whatever number would ensure no shortages) up front. Probably didn't want to take the risk either.
    3) Palm didn't finalize the hardware/software design until too late and there hasn't been enough time to manufacture sufficient units.

If there is a shortage and it's caused by any of these scenarios, then it's out of Sprint's hands. Why would Palm be "ticked off" at Sprint in this case???? Everyone is so quick to jump to conclusions and assume a big conspiracy when it's most likely that they're trying to launch the product as soon as possible and that building the required inventory just isn't possible considering the time and capital constraints. You don't just snap your fingers and have an unlimited supply of product just magically appear.
    can you port a number at best buy?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    can you port a number at best buy?
    of course. you can port a number anywhere wireless service is sold on any wireless carrier in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post

If there is a shortage and it's caused by any of these scenarios, then it's out of Sprint's hands.
    The scenario I am talking about is one which Palm does in fact have a substantial number of units available, but Sprint-in trying to create artificial demand while at the same time justifying their reasons to NOT advertise sufficiently-withholds inventory from all stores. Yes it is a conspiracy theory and YES I am a conspiracy theorist! If I am Palm and I am losing "x" amount of money on each phone then yes, I am a little ticked off that Sprint is A) not advertising the phone and B) holding back stock! If Palm really does have an inventory problem then of course they have no reason to be angry with Sprint. I do know this however, Dan Hesse in my mind is a very cagey business man. He has arguably improved Sprint's customer service and data infrastructure since he's been at the helm. To me, its yet another "play" in his book that I wholly applaud. If I were Palm, I'd be pissed. Thats all I'm saying.