1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    So the idea of minimal notifications when you're doing something else is great, but there's surely a big distracting notification screen (cause I want to be distracted so I don't push it aside and forget!) when you're not doing something else, right? Like when your phone is in standby, screen off?

I'm sure there is but can someone advise what the deal actually is?

thanks

Here's the kind of big notification that you can expect. I don't think we've seen what happens when you get a notification with the phone off, though I imagine it's something similar to this coupled with the unlock controls.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    It first prompts with the big one and then goes away to the small one (If that makes sense).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Maybe there's a large notification when the phones on standby or when it's off.
    The idea not not that you probably won't see it, but that if you're typing an email or something, it won't interrupt what you're doing by changing the focus to the notification. So if you don't want to stop what you're doing you can put it aside til you're done.
    Maybe with Pre 2 (other names may be... Pre X, Pre Second, Pre deuce, Present, Post, Pre-matured, Iphone-mourner) there will be a little notification flag which pops up from the top of the phone which can be either snapped back in palce, or your attention can swing to your latest proof of personal significance.
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    Pre 2 (other names may be... Pre X, Pre Second, Pre deuce, Present, Post, Pre-matured, Iphone-mourner)
    It'll be called the Post, duh.
    Get an iPhone for that feature!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    It'll be called the Post, duh.

lol
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    So the idea of minimal notifications when you're doing something else is great, but there's surely a big distracting notification screen (cause I want to be distracted so I don't push it aside and forget!) when you're not doing something else, right? Like when your phone is in standby, screen off?

thanks
    I'm not sure if you've actually viewed any of the videos of the Pre in action, but... how can you miss those notifications (physical and mental disability aside, of course)?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post

thanks
    There's no way you'll forget a notification is there. The screen shrinks and it stays on the bottom.

When the screen is off, as someone said, it's probably the same deal with the lock screen shrinking. You're really making something out of nothing, it's not invisible.
    You know what would be cool? A way to manage your notifications. Imagine some notifications popping up in the bottom notification area on the phone. One is for an important meeting, one is an informal calendar item to remind you of something.

What if you're in an email that you're paying attention to and don't want to pay attention to the notifications, so you could manage them by sliding them in different directions? You could take the important business meeting notification and slide it off the left meaning it will remind you in 5 or 10 minutes or whatever, and you can take your unimportant calendar reminder and slide it to the right to dismiss it. That would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    You know what would be cool? A way to manage your notifications. Imagine some notifications popping up in the bottom notification area on the phone. One is for an important meeting, one is an informal calendar item to remind you of something.

What if you're in an email that you're paying attention to and don't want to pay attention to the notifications, so you could manage them by sliding them in different directions? You could take the important business meeting notification and slide it off the left meaning it will remind you in 5 or 10 minutes or whatever, and you can take your unimportant calendar reminder and slide it to the right to dismiss it. That would be awesome.
    Kidding?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    Maybe with Pre 2 (other names may be... Pre X, Pre Second, Pre deuce, Present, Post, Pre-matured, Iphone-mourner) there will be a little notification flag which pops up from the top of the phone which can be either snapped back in palce, or your attention can swing to your latest proof of personal significance.
    LOL, like a little mailbox.
    Come on people. If they're big then they should be small and if they're small then they should be big. How about we make it to where if it's your pocket, it'll pinch your leg when you get a notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    LOL, like a little mailbox.
    Come on people. If they're big then they should be small and if they're small then they should be big. How about we make it to where if it's your pocket, it'll pinch your leg when you get a notification.
    IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Kidding?

Why would I be kidding, I think this would be a really great feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Why would I be kidding, I think this would be a really great feature.
    It sounds like how the Pre works right now, so I thought you were kidding around.
    The BlackBerry has a very simple, yet useful feature. I small LED that flashes when you get a missed call, text, email, voicemail, etc. Because of this, you can simply pull the phone out of your pocket and look for the flashing LED to tell you if you've missed anything without needing to actually turn the device on and look for notifications, all the while draining your battery every time you play this cat and mouse game. You can also glance at the phone across the room or on your desk, and quickly tell if you need to turn the screen on to check it.

I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have to constantly turn the phone on to check for notifications, if you're in a noisy environment or have stepped away from the phone for a bit.

Are you guys saying that the Pre doesn't have anything like this? Are you really going to have to turn it on and look at the screen to tell if you've missed something? Dang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I'm not sure if you've actually viewed any of the videos of the Pre in action, but... how can you miss those notifications (physical and mental disability aside, of course)?
    How about: I use my phone as a replacement for a pager too and I need it to wake my *** up when I get a page?