Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I got confirmation today from palm_inc on twitter that there will be no visual voicemail on the pre. I know this has been rumored but until now I hadn't seen anything set in stone. It's too bad! I think visual voicemail is a killer feature for today's generation of smartphones and we all know Sprint has the infrastructure for it since they do it on the Instinct.

Twitter / palm_inc: @KirkYuhnke Palm Synergy ...
    Nice find but for me its not a big deal.

I guess if you get alot of VM's it would come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Nice find but for me its not a big deal.

I guess if you get alot of VM's it would come in handy.
    Same, I hardly get VM's of the magnitude where this would matter to me. Still, sad for those who were looking for it.
    But they should definitely come out with an app for that. I mean you mail is free and already can do that so why can't developers for the new web os come out with it right?
    That's too bad I've gotten used to VVM. I hope that the SDK is open enough to allow a developer to create one.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Seems like a no brainer to me!! Sprint's network already supports it on the Instict and the biggest competition, the iPhone, has had it for 2 years!
    must admit that really DOES suck. I was looking forward to that feaature as I'veg otten used to it on my iphone. Still not a deal breaker or anything but no VM and no supported Tethering option really kinda puts a damper on things for me ESPECIALLY if they could manage to get the same feature on their last mainstream effort the Instinct which wasn't even a smart phone....

Still gonna buy it though.....
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    That's too bad I've gotten used to VVM. I hope that the SDK is open enough to allow a developer to create one.
    It's not. The SDK sucks when it comes to doing anything that has to interact deeply with the phone.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Well what the ****. How does a high-end smartphone that's a "better product than the iPhone" lack what seems to be a basic feature?
    Thanks for letting us know.
    Sounds like something that would be easy to add, when they get around to it.
    I have a VOIP service at home that I use to front end my cell. It does simulring, and if no one answers, then the VOIP service takes the voice mail, turns it into an MP3, and then emails it to me, so it shows up as email on the phone. It's also nice because I can tell it to use a blacklist, so if someone from one of those numbers calls it won't even bother with a simulring. :-)

The only question is whether or not Sprint allows you to turn voicemail off completely on the phone. When I mean completely, I mean even if the phone is powered off, that you'll just get endless ringing if you dial the number...

I am an AT&T customer so I don't know if this is possible on Sprint.
    Soooo.....why again do I have to switch plans if I have unlimited Data and unlimited messaging? (Sprint used the VVM excuse for the Instinct)
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    It's not. The SDK sucks when it comes to doing anything that has to interact deeply with the phone.
    Wow. I wish I had a time machine too.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    no Visual Voicemail? WHY NOT? come on, Ruby. it's 2009. this is a big strike against PRE and i would use it as a big selling point if i was AT&T/Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    wow. I wish i had a time machine too.
    Code:
    l       0000    l
    l      0     0  l
    l      0     0  l
    l      0     0  l
    lllll   0000    lllllll
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Soooo.....why again do I have to switch plans if I have unlimited Data and unlimited messaging? (Sprint used the VVM excuse for the Instinct)
    Because Sprint says so, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    no Visual Voicemail? WHY NOT? come on, Ruby. it's 2009. this is a big strike against PRE and i would use it as a big selling point if i was AT&T/Apple.
    A big strike? No, a big strike would be no apps or a horrible web browser or a battery that only lasts for two hours.

It's not a big deal (at least to me and to most potential customers), but you're right, for a super phone like this one, there's no reason it shouldn't be there.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Well what the ****. How does a high-end smartphone that's a "better product than the iPhone" lack what seems to be a basic feature?
    So much for the claim that this will inherently use more bandwidth than other smartphones
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    Are you speaking from experience or are you just going off of what you have heard? For a statement like this, that would be an important distinction.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I think it's a big convenience, but isn't it a "luxury" at this time? I really don't think it's standard on most phones yet. And this is Palm we're talking about. They often don't like updated features.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast