Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I have never had Visual Voice Mail, so I am sure I do not completely "get it". However, unless there is some sort of standard way of interacting with a carrier's voice mail system, Visual Voice Mail would be a custom app for THAT carrier. I imagine a carrier specific app may not be the highest one on Palm's list (especially if they are about to release the Pre in other countries on other carriers) and Sprint may not be ready to write this on their own. (Although the Sprint Developer Conference is very encouraging.) As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, a Visual Voice Mail app would need to interact fairly deeply with the phone and the carrier's network/system.

Wouldn't it be nifty if there was a global carrier-agnostic standard for this type of thing? The carriers could implement this standard so app/phone developers would not need to customize these types of apps.
    Visual voicemail on the Pre would be great. Luckily, even if Palm doesn't incorporate it into their OS, there a a few developers out there who have some good VVM apps. I used YouMail for a while with my BB and it was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Visual voicemail on the Pre would be great. Luckily, even if Palm doesn't incorporate it into their OS, there a a few developers out there who have some good VVM apps. I used YouMail for a while with my BB and it was great.
    Yeah, but with sprint's forwarding costs it's just not economical.
    I don't understand the choice not to include visual voicemail. Seems like a no-brainer
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstx80 View Post
    I don't understand the choice not to include visual voicemail. Seems like a no-brainer
    That's exactly why it's not included!

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Google Voice is the way to go for voicemail needs. It not only provides free visual voicemail (with visual/audio, text, and/or email alerts), but it sends email or SMS texts with voicemail messages transcribed. It marries the old world of voicemail with the new world of texting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Google Voice is the way to go for voicemail needs. It not only provides free visual voicemail (with visual/audio, text, and/or email alerts), but it sends email or SMS texts with voicemail messages transcribed. It marries the old world of voicemail with the new world of texting.
    That's precisely what I wanted to know!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567