Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    No we dont. Sprint is selling a phone with visual voicemail right now with no IP issues. (Instinct)
    Turns out the explanation hasn't changed:

Sprint licenses Visual Voicemail for the Samsung Instinct

Palm/Sprint will need to dish out money to put visual voicemail on the Pre, or else get sued.
    I don't get why Sprint will license for Instinct but not for Pre...there is a actual reason, not just money, in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I don't get why Sprint will license for Instinct but not for Pre...there is a actual reason, not just money, in my opinion.
    You're probably right. They didn't get to it? They got to something better?

There could have been a complication trying to negotiate a visual voicemail license for more than one network. WebOS is rolling out on at least three by 2010.
    Most people under 30 or 40 could care less about voicemail period. I know its still a necessity in some regards, but honestly, its such an old school way to communicate with someone. Plus, there's all the prompts you have to sit through (delete this, hear again, blah blah blah). Yeah, visual VM is better, but its still voicemail. The only person that leaves me regular voicemail is my Mom, cause she's old.

Text & email, baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Most people under 30 or 40 could care less about voicemail period. I know its still a necessity in some regards, but honestly, its such an old school way to communicate with someone. Plus, there's all the prompts you have to sit through (delete this, hear again, blah blah blah). Yeah, visual VM is better, but its still voicemail. The only person that leaves me regular voicemail is my Mom, cause she's old.

Text & email, baby.
    Apparently you never get any phone calls about work-related things then? That's the only time I get any voicemail myself, and while yes, I wish everyone would email instead, I can't force them to.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

Text & email, baby.
    You're onto something. Only older people and the business crowd care about voice mail. Visual voicemail is a cutesy consumer feature, not a business feature. Twitter and text have superseded voicemail in the cutesy department.

In fact, I hate when people leave me voice mail! Reach me some other way! (My mom is the big hold-up in the family.)
    Voicemail is probably the most annoying version of messaging but that doesn't change the fact that Visual Voicemail is better than regular voicemail. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Apparently you never get any phone calls about work-related things then? That's the only time I get any voicemail myself, and while yes, I wish everyone would email instead, I can't force them to.
    I do occasionally, but my job almost always communicates with employees via email. Its just so much easier & efficient because you can reply back on your own time, have a record of what was said to quickly refer back to & have an archive of, etc. Its instant gratification too because it goes straight to your device & you just open up & read.

And that goes for any text, facebook messages, IM, twitter, etc. I really think we're also gonna see less direct communicating with each other via voice (meaning calling up someone, inviting them out to dinner & things of that nature) because we can do that in so many other ways now.

People have busy lives & they cant always talk, but they can almost always read an email or text message. But I guess we can keep voicemail around for the old fogies who need to get a message to us if we're unavailable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I do analytics for an internet firm where the average employee age is about 30. The sales and customer service staff have to deal with phone calls, but other divisions, like HR, IT and Content Management, use IM and email for the most part. As QWERTY phones like Blackberries become the norm, so does SMS and text. Plenty of sites have discussed the death of voicemail: TechCrunch, Lifehacker, Slate, Web Worker Daily, etc.

Voicemail is a US-centric phenomenon. Developing countries that went from erratic deployment of landline services to cell networks have pretty much adopted SMS as their primary mode of communication. Initially, that was because SMS was billed as airtime, and a text message only took a split second to transmit. By the time carriers charged a flat rate per message, the usage pattern was already set. European and Asian markets had integrated GSM networks. SMS adoption in the US was hampered by lack of interoperability between carriers until about 7 years ago, not to mention the fact that the Americans commute by car rather than public transit -- making it less convenient to text. Voicemail never caught on in other parts of the world.

I suspect that Sprint has another service to roll out for the Pre sometime after the device's launch. They already have SpinVox on board as a partner, though their voicemail transcription is a paid service ($9.99/mo.). Sprint might be trying to give SpinVox the opportunity to market their solution before VVM comes to the Pre.
    Honestly, I achievement that this isnt the case for long...if its true! Visual Voice Mail is a abundant affection that shouldnt be larboard out for too long.

From what I understand it's more about some technical limitation of the back-end system or some such. Some part of it isn't scaling well. It was never a feature I really cared about so I haven't asked.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Um... Shawdow person... umm... unh...well... umm. Nevermind. I don't know how to even respond...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rs_shadow0000 View Post
    Honestly, I achievement that this isnt the case for long...if its true! Visual Voice Mail is a abundant affection that shouldnt be larboard out for too long.

Thanks for waking up a 2-month old thread, Shadow man single-poster.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Why would Palm be the one to determine whether or not Visual Voicemail will or will not be on the Pre now or in the future? I remember back at the live chat Sprint hosted on Facebook and someone asked them about visual voicemail. Sprint replied saying that it was a great feature everyone loved on the Instinct, and that they are wanting to try and get that over on the Pre.
    Sanyo Katana***Blackberry Curve 8330***HTC Touch Diamond***Palm Pre!
    Evo 4G

"In order to change, you have to go through some changes."
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rs_shadow0000 View Post

Based on the tweet by palm posted here it looks like they were replying to an "as of now" question. It doesn't imply the feature will never exist IMO.
    I will go out on a limb here and say that Palm *probably* hadn't gotten around to implementing that feature, along with video recording and flash support simply because they were rushing it's release and wanted a *mostly* stable product at launch. It would have been a lot harder to debug WebOS with a whole slew of untested features.
    Whether or not visual voicemail comes to the Pre is not dependant on Sprint. They would love to have it on there. It's up to Palm to support through their software.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thechosenfew88 View Post
    Why would Palm be the one to determine whether or not Visual Voicemail will or will not be on the Pre now or in the future? I remember back at the live chat Sprint hosted on Facebook and someone asked them about visual voicemail. Sprint replied saying that it was a great feature everyone loved on the Instinct, and that they are wanting to try and get that over on the Pre.
    Well Palm would have to write it into the os so that it can work. Sprint probably has to pay Palm to enable it, and then pay for licensing visual vm. It's all about money. Like a previous poster said, they are probably waiting on an app that will give you the same result and then they will make money on it instead of paying it.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast