Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    One other point is that many of these third party solutions provide transcripts which can save you a lot of time. The app you are asking for would not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    I don't understand why people think Google Voice would be a hassle.
    Maybe the mystery additional feature is Google Voice or a portion of it. Using your same sprint number, but your voicemails are sent to you as text.

I have been thinking about this and why would yPalm complete with the Iphone in almost every category and give up on Visual Voice Mail? We know that it will work on the Sprint Network.

Since the Pre was announced, Google has announced several features that the Pre needed for Synergy...Over the air syncing for Calendar, Contacts and Notes. Google just announced Google Voice, but hasn't been allowing expansion outside of the bay area (I think). Maybe this is the big coming out party for Google Voice Too.
    i guess when you check for voice messages you'll be surprised who called u.....
    Quote Originally Posted by kkye View Post

I got confirmation today from palm_inc on twitter that there will be no visual voicemail on the pre. I know this has been rumored but until now I hadn't seen anything set in stone. It's too bad! I think visual voicemail is a killer feature for today's generation of smartphones and we all know Sprint has the infrastructure for it since they do it on the Instinct.

Twitter / palm_inc: @KirkYuhnke Palm Synergy ...
    This is a deal breaker. I have an iPhone for business and a Palm 755p for personal use. I was hoping to get rid of iPhone and just have the Palm Pre. I need the Visual VM for accessing my business related messages.. and I need to be able to access a specific voice mail without having to go through multiple others. I guess this is not to be and I am now thinking of just discontinuing the sprint/palm subscription. This wait has been in vain.
    Last edited by MoodyDragon; 05/22/2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarity
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'd say wait to see what 3rd party solutions are there closer to launch. Hope isn't lost yet.
    Did anyone listen to the Buzz out Loud podcast on Friday? Natalie Delcontie(sp?) is under a NDA, but her fake shock indicates that Palm has something besides normal VM. I'm still betting on a speech to text service like google voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    3rd party solutions are nice (I use youmail on my Blackberry 8900), but they are no way nearly as good as an integrated solution. Palm is making a mistake here.
    However, YouMail is excellent for blocking ***** callers permanently, which VVM never does. Unless they get a new number, then you have to set it to block that too. But it works for me, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Dry your tears, VVM fanboys.

SpinVox - Blog
    Back in February, at Mobile World Congress, yours truly was given a fantasically in-depth walk through (I took some nice photos), of the handset in question and, as I did back then, I can again - exclusively reveal that the Palm Pre will be *completely* SpinVox ready out of the box.

You simply just have to enter in your usual SpinVox activation code and you’ll be away!

Just like the Treo before it, the Palm Pre is going to be able to use the only voice to text service available in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and German - with the sophistication to deal with individual accents and regional variations such as US, Canadian, Australian and South African English.
    This completely rocks.
    Third Party Developer PhoneFusion Offers To Create Visual Voicemail for Palm Pre

Since the Instinct has it, we know it can be done. I don't see any reason they wouldn't be able to complete this fairly rapidly.

I will stick with giving out my Google Voice number for the transcripts (VVM, SMS, and email), switch to my office phone and back during a call, listen in while they leave a message (and change my mind and take the call based on what they say), turn recording off and on during the call, conference in up to four incoming calls at once, free forwarding, etc.
    Only two good features on the Instinct: VVM and Live Search.
    Hope the Pre will be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    From what I understand, Sprint charges a fee for call forwarding of $0.20 a minute. However, if you get conditional call forwarding for busy/ no answer, that should be free if you get a rep who knows how to do it correctly. I've never actually done it myself though, so I can't confirm.

Edit: I checked at another board, and unfortunately I was wrong on this issue, sorry.

Sprint does charge for all call forwardings. Unconditional, no answer and busy call forwarding get charged .20 per minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by maclvr1 View Post
    Only two good features on the Instinct: VVM and Live Search.
    Hope the Pre will be better.
    On that note, the Pre will have a live search function too, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    On that note, the Pre will have a live search function too, right?
    where.com is even better than the Instinct's Live Search.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    @phone diva, do you pay .20 a minute call forwarding fee from sprint with youmail??? I have never heard of it but it looks awesome!
    I forward my sprint phone to my Iphone and have for a year or so...

I dont get charged if the call goes to voice mail on my iphone, only if i answer it...
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Anyone know if Apple has a patent pending on visual voicemail?

That could be the reason it's not on the Pre, and perhaps why it may never be.

I have patents myself and still I think they're stupid.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I remember salivating over the original iPhone announcement when I saw the Visual Voicemail feature... but you know what? Almost 2 years later and owning both iPhones, it's probably my least-used feature! Granted, I probably use my iPhone less as a phone and more for everything else, but to me it's not a deal-breaker in my Pre interest.

I also have and use Google Voice, although I don't use it as my main number... there's now a cool app for it on the iPhone, and hopefully one will be coming for the Pre as well down the line, it's quite useful...
    need to add to the title, "out of the box".
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Anyone know if Apple has a patent pending on visual voicemail?

That could be the reason it's not on the Pre, and perhaps why it may never be.

I have patents myself and still I think they're stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    No we dont. Sprint is selling a phone with visual voicemail right now with no IP issues. (Instinct)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast