Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Call forwarding ISN'T free on Sprint? Then that may rule out YouMail too.

Even on my prepaid phone, CF is free, geez! Is that really true?
    Like I said, from what I understand, conditional call forwarding for busy/no answer is free (or should be if it's set up properly.)

If you have every incoming call to your Sprint phone forwarded to another number, that's when it's not free.

And as for Google Voice, mentioned above, I've got a GV number, but until Palm incorporates GV into the dialer and for SMS, it'd be much more of a pain than it's worth.

Edit: Sorry to say, that I was incorrect, conditional call forwarding costs money as well.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/21/2009 at 03:30 AM.
    I know I have to pay to have my calls forwarded to my home!

Guess they forgot to include free call forwarding on my SERO plan... Better call retentions and get that fixed!

Seriously, I do have to pay like $.20 a min, and on T-mo it was free. I very rarely use it...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Are you speaking from experience or are you just going off of what you have heard? For a statement like this, that would be an important distinction.
    Experience. Take that as you wish.

If a developer wanted to write an app that connected to a server to retrieve audio files that had been forwarded from a voicemail forwarding service, sure. That will work.

If a developer wanted to interact with the phone or the Sprint network to the level where they could detect voicemail or retrieve them from Sprint, then no. Definitely not in the SDK (as of now).
    I don't understand why people think Google Voice would be a hassle. I give out my Google Voice number, if somebody texts the number I receive it on my Sprint phone and can reply. If they call it, I see their number on my caller ID on my Sprint phone and answer on my Sprint phone (during business hours it also rings my desk, saving me minutes). If I get back to my desk while on a call, I press * and it conferences in my other numbers (desk), I answer and hang up without the caller hearing a thing and I save more minutes. If they leave a voice mail, I receive a transcript via SMS on my Sprint phone. Other than that, I use my phone like normal.

I suppose if I really wanted Caller ID to match the number I'm giving out I would have a bit of work (I don't bother with that), but otherwise where's the hassle?
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez View Post
    I know I have to pay to have my calls forwarded to my home!

Guess they forgot to include free call forwarding on my SERO plan... Better call retentions and get that fixed!

Seriously, I do have to pay like $.20 a min, and on T-mo it was free. I very rarely use it...
    I'm pretty shocked it's 20 cents a minute. AT&T looks a little better now, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

This picture is on Palm's site as well. That symbol is clearly the voicemail icon. It just seems like it would be for VVM since it has a 2 on it signify 2 new messages.

EDIT

Here's a somewhat recent shot from engadget dated April 1, 2009. You can see the voicemail icon notification as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post

This picture is on Palm's site as well. That symbol is clearly the voicemail icon. It just seems like it would be for VVM since it has a 2 on it signify 2 new messages.
    Just because it has a 2 to tell you new messages doesn't mean it's VVM. My Motorola q9c can tell me how many messages, but it definitely does not have visual voicemail.
    I stand corrected on earlier posts. I checked at a Sprint forum and was told that unconditional call forwarding is also $0.20 per minute. I guess I'm doubly not going to use GV now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    I suppose if I really wanted Caller ID to match the number I'm giving out I would have a bit of work (I don't bother with that), but otherwise where's the hassle?
    Exactly that. If I call someone from my cellphone number, and someone misses the call, then they're going to call back at my cellphone number. The same for texts. It doesn't matter what number I give out, people are going to reply to the number that they receive things from.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if future versions of Android don't have this functionality built in eventually.
    I really like the Visual Voicemail on my Instinct. I'm gonna miss it!

"Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    What does call forwarding have to do with Google Voice? I give out my Google Voice number and it rings my Sprint phone (and my work phone during business hours, and any other numbers I choose it to ring on the schedule I want). The only cost is that I don't get Sprint to Sprint, which I more than make up for by answering at my desk during the work week. If I forwarded my calls to Google Voice it would defeat the purpose.

I suppose you could forward your unanswered calls to Google Voice, but as the poster before said:

Like I said, from what I understand, conditional call forwarding for busy/no answer is free (or should be if it's set up properly.)

Unconditional $.20/min would truly defeat the purpose, as you would be unable to ever answer calls. Actually I need to look into the free conditional call forwarding; that actually sounds like a good idea for the older contacts who have my Sprint number.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Exactly that. If I call someone from my cellphone number, and someone misses the call, then they're going to call back at my cellphone number. The same for texts. It doesn't matter what number I give out, people are going to reply to the number that they receive things from.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if future versions of Android don't have this functionality built in eventually.
    Okay, so use the free forwarding when busy/no answer and schedule GV to not call your cell phone, only SMS the transcript. Problem solved, cost = 0. You could then ignore calls when at your desk and then answer them when GV rings it and still get Sprint to Sprint calls. This would actually cost less than free, as you get the free Sprint to Sprint and answer at your desk during the week. The only "hassle" would be one call to a CSR to setup the free forwarding on busy/no answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    Whoa, that settles that.

Third party apps can do Visual Voicemail with call forwarding then. Crisis averted?

Note to Matt F: You shouldn't be getting charged. You have to make sure the customer service rep understands that you want "No Answer Call Forwarding (No Reply Forwarding)" not simply "Call Forwarding". No Answer Call Forwarding (No Reply Forwarding) is free the other is not. Also have the rep do it for you, there are three things that need to be changed:
    It seems is IS possible, but some people get it set up easier than others, with others getting unhelpful reps who just say it's 20 cents over and over.
    I have VVM on my Treo, and if/when I get a Pre I'll have it there, too. Check out Simulscribe:

SimulScribe - Read Your Voicemail

By uploading my contacts to their server I get VVM. And I also get to read a speech to text transcription of my voicemail if I choose, or listen to it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    T-2 weeks before release and nobody can tell us what happens when the Pre phone rings and what happens when you answer or don't answer.
    Pre rings.

answer: talk
    dont answer: get voicemail

happy?

We just want a different kind of voicemail.
    Yeah, I thought the same thing, that it was free for the busy/no answer all forwarding, but apparently that used to be free but they now charge for it as well, according to people at SprintGurus who know much better than I do.
    3rd party solutions are nice (I use youmail on my Blackberry 8900), but they are no way nearly as good as an integrated solution. Palm is making a mistake here.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    3rd party solutions are nice (I use youmail on my Blackberry 8900), but they are no way nearly as good as an integrated solution. Palm is making a mistake here.
    This.

This is the entire argument.

You really shouldn't have to jerry-rig a solution on a phone whose entire promise is the conflation of forward thinking and pragmatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    This.

This is the entire argument.

You really shouldn't have to jerry-rig a solution on a phone whose entire promise is the conflation of forward thinking and pragmatism.
    No one is denying this.

But while we wait for Palm and Sprint to wake up, alternative plans are being made.

Also, the VVM apps on Android run really well. It's not like "This is crap, it's gimped you can tell it's a crappy 3rd party app." It does what it's supposed to do, so that argument might not even hold.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast