Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I know I know, I was trying to be funny by showing why I'd need VVM
    Mr Kessler, you are indeed sneaky throwing that post in there
    Here's how one of Android's 3rd party app VVM works

Pretty well. Setup is fairly simple—just sign up for an account with your email address and mobile number on Fusion's site to get an activation PIN code (all free) which then pairs your G1's app with your account. After that, you have to manually change your call forwarding settings to forward to Fusion's VM server number. After that, your messages will start coming in to the app's decent but not beautiful UI like you would expect.
    Gizmodo - Hands On: Fusion Visual Voicemail App For Android Now Available - Android visual voicemail

It has nothing to do with APIs or anything, you forward your messages.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    This one is more recent....

I thought about this a little more, maybe after you dial a number that is not saved in your contacts the bottom changes to "Add to Contacts" but if you don't dial anything then the voicemail and call log buttons stay there.
    On Palm's website they still show the phone with the voicmail icon. However On Palm's website it shows the dial pad both with a number dialed that says "add to contacts" and the other that shows a number dialed that shows the voicemail icon. I think that the lower button on the left hand corner might be an add to contacts button or something of the like.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    From Crackberry

http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/vis...y-users-51750/

Another source supporting that sprint charges a fee for forwarding voicemail. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is the case, of course, is it worth the extra 20 to 30 dollars a month for a feature thats included on the instinct?
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    We will soon just SYNERGIZE and missed calls will be a thing of the past!
    Haha! That would be nice. Unfortunately for me none of my friends/family are clued in on the latest tech--at least in using it to its fullest. They don't use even a fraction of their phone's capabilities. So getting them to shell out for a Pre and then synergize will be a challenge.

We'll see how they feel about smartphones after they see my Pre and what it can do.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Bok, Sprint does have a phone that supports VVM
    Yep. And it has issues, which is why it's only on one phone.
    Bok
    From what I understand, Sprint charges a fee for call forwarding of $0.20 a minute. However, if you get conditional call forwarding for busy/ no answer, that should be free if you get a rep who knows how to do it correctly. I've never actually done it myself though, so I can't confirm.

Edit: I checked at another board, and unfortunately I was wrong on this issue, sorry.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/21/2009 at 03:31 AM.
    wow.... disappointing if true..... i'll hold off on getting worked up until it's a fact.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Haha! That would be nice. Unfortunately for me none of my friends/family are clued in on the latest tech--at least in using it to its fullest. They don't use even a fraction of their phone's capabilities. So getting them to shell out for a Pre and then synergize will be a challenge.

We'll see how they feel about smartphones after they see my Pre and what it can do.

I think Grandpa Simpson would respond best to this by saying...

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too."
    Regular voicemail has gotten less annoying since you are able to change your options so that they just play instead of hearing the time, date and number but Visual Voicemail is the ideal solution and I'm surprised they skipped it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    I think Grandpa Simpson would respond best to this by saying...

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too."
    Yes, I'm sure it will happen to me, too...for SOME things. ...But NOT today.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Regular voicemail has gotten less annoying since you are able to change your options so that they just play instead of hearing the time, date and number but Visual Voicemail is the ideal solution and I'm surprised they skipped it.
    Although I don't use voicemail I do agree that with what is being titled as a revolutionary phone Palm/Sprint (I don't know who would be at fault) hasn't included the latest in every aspect of what one would consider "phone" functions. Synergy, a nice camera and built in turn by turn are all great goodies but these companies did drop the ball in not including their own version of VVM.
    VVM/Unified Messaging is not a big deal to the average phone user, but to professionals its an important feature (voicemail is often a salesperson's bread and butter). If not implemented at launch, it will almost certainly follow shortly thereafter. I wouldn't worry too much (unless you work for Amway )
    I think my visual voice mail will work perfectly. I will go to https://www.google.com/voice/m and I will see who called, when, how long, read the transcript, and play any of the messages. I never have to listen to a phone number (which I used to have to do over and over again), since the transcription is especially good at numbers. Saves loads of time. Only drawback is I don't get very many Sprint-to-Sprint calls since I give out my Google Voice number.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    If this were any group other than palm/sprint I wouldn't worry, but it is not.

I usually get a high amount of calls and thus a high amount of voicemails. On my htc touch, I would try and figure out who I needed to call back first by checking the call history before checking voicemail, but found this to be highly unreliable. Very often, for example, I would show two calls in history and have eight voicemails.

I hope this is a simple enough fix later on. Maybe Sprint waves the 20 cent forwarding charge for pre phones and an OTA free app comes out. Then again, this is palm. Who knows.

This is incredibly dissapointing. The closer we get to launch the more likely it is that I wait for all of the killer phones to come out before making a decision that used to be made already.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Some of the early basic hands-on did say that it was present. So it seems like something that was likely attempted but for some reason abandoned. In the very least it was planned and then abandoned. The question that I then ask is, why? This is probably a simple feature now as it has been on phones for a number of years. Was the Pre rushed out the door? What else on the phone is not as good as originally planned? Dropping a simple feature like this sets of flags for me.

I suppose the last option is that there was a miss-communication in either that early hands on or in this Sprint comment.
    Call forwarding ISN'T free on Sprint? Then that may rule out YouMail too.

Even on my prepaid phone, CF is free, geez! Is that really true?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    what does call forwarding have to do with VVM?
  20. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    what does call forwarding have to do with VVM?
    If your phone / carrier doesnt support it natively, you can have your VM's forwarded to a 3rd party such as Enhanced Visual Voicemail For Cell Phones | YouMail
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast