Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Also AT&T's Nights & Weekends aren't at 7PM to have that you need another $16.99 to the price.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    You'd also need to add AT&T navigator and AT&T Mobile TV feature since the Sprint plans include Nav as well as SprintTV.
    For those who truly use those functions, it would be a $10 - $40 add-on. Thanks Kyusaku, good info. I'm not Pro-iphone or Pro-PRE, i'm Pro-bestphone for me, so keep the information coming. tks!
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonhtp View Post
    There is much more to all of this...At&t navigator is $10/m...Also that "family data unlimited" is not available for PDA/smartphones...sprint tv, mobile, music, etc...

This is all included with the Sprint plan you mentioned in the original post on ALL phones that have the capabilities.
    Excellent point. The nickle and dime charges start to add up when you compare apples to apples.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Also AT&T's Nights & Weekends aren't at 7PM to have that you need another $16.99 to the price.
    For my family, 1400min is way more than enough. But yes, good info for those that care about the nights & weekends for voice calling. $16.99 more if you have a plan that doesnt have enough minutes to not care. (personally, i dont like thinking about - oooh, do i have enuf minutes 2 make this call during the day?) good info though, tks!
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    unlimited voice/data/text

sprint = $99/month + taxes + fees
    vzw = $150/month + taxes + fees
    att = $150/month + taxes + fees
    tmob = $125/month + taxes + fees

Gizmodo - The Definitive Coast-to-Coast 3G Data Test - 3G
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Iphone = AT&T crapy 3g netwrork for one
    $40 for plan $30 for data plus 20 for txt msgs =$90

Palm Pre = Sprint best 3g network in the nation
    $70 - 27% corperate discount = $51.99 - $15 retention hooked me up to get of my bill every month = $36.99, this is extremely close to sero. haha
    Speaking of corp discounts.... Did you go through evpdiscount.com? I am still on SERO so I havent been playing the dicount game (no need to on sero) but now that I am getting a pre and its higher priced plan I want to reduce its costs as much as possible. I signed in at evp and it says Im eligable for a 23% discount (edu). But was wondering if its best to mess with this after ugprading my sero to the new plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    For my family, 1400min is way more than enough. But yes, good info for those that care about the nights & weekends for voice calling. $16.99 more if you have a plan that doesnt have enough minutes to not care. (personally, i dont like thinking about - oooh, do i have enuf minutes 2 make this call during the day?) good info though, tks!
    I think the point though is to make the comparisons equivalent between the plans. Granted, you may not need the extra hours for nights and weekends, but the fact remains that Sprint provides them in the plan.

So when all is said and done, Sprint is cheaper (for what you get). Can you trim and compromise features with other carriers in order to get a lower price? Sure. But you end up with less for your money. Bottom line.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    Speaking of corp discounts.... Did you go through evpdiscount.com? I am still on SERO so I havent been playing the dicount game (no need to on sero) but now that I am getting a pre and its higher priced plan I want to reduce its costs as much as possible. I signed in at evp and it says Im eligable for a 23% discount (edu). But was wondering if its best to mess with this after ugprading my sero to the new plan.
    Definatelly worth messing with it.
    Well, when most people say you save more with Sprint, they are comparing a comparable plan on AT&T adding on all the features with their whole a-la-carte way of plan systems. If you take some of those pieces off, obviously the savings won't be as monumental, but your plan in the long run will have some limitations should some of the other users on the plan decide to upgrade to a next gen phone.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thanks Inspector.... I added the costs to the main thread entry for everyone to view. I agree, more available for the cost. however, if you dont need certain functions for your specific situation, you may find AT&T to cost less depending on your discount. Or, you may find Sprint to cost even less, and get even more.

One sore point. Sprint doesnt have a 2xxx plan. Its 1500 or 3000. AT&T has the 2100min plan. Would be nice if Sprint offerred a 2000min plan to match. oh well. Good info all around!
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Also the Sprint family plans include Blackberry service, which on AT&T costs $30-60 per phone should one of your non-iPhone users be a BB user.
    Also the Sprint family plans include Blackberry service, which on AT&T costs $30-60 per phone should one of your non-iPhone users be a BB user.
    Hahaha! I forgot about that. It's hard to beat an "Everything" plan. When they say "everything" they mean EVERYTHING.

Except tethering.

Oh well, this was an interesting (and I'm sure eye-opening for some) comparison.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

With my BlackBerry and AT&T, I can use the internal GPS with Google Maps for free. I only pay an extra $10 if I want spoken, turn-by-turn directions. Otherwise I can use the map and see the turn-by-turn listed in written form. Is this not the case with Sprint? No free GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    With my BlackBerry and AT&T, I can use the internal GPS with Google Maps for free. I only pay an extra $10 if I want spoken, turn-by-turn directions. Otherwise I can use the map and see the turn-by-turn listed in written form. Is this not the case with Sprint? No free GPS?
    You can access the GPS chip and use Google Maps. It's the directions that you pay for, but that is bundled in with all Pre-eligible Sprint plans.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The thing with Sprint is they give you a bonus feature of GPS navigation supported by TeleNav which offers voice turn-by-turn directions. Last I checked Google can't do voice turn-by-turn directions. AT&T's comparable service is a $10 addon.
    GPS use is free, even for turn-by-turn. You can use any third-party application (if your phone is capable of running them).

Spoken turn-by-turn navigation is included in the Everything plans, so in effect there's nothing extra to pay either way with Sprint. (In Sprint's navigation-capable phones, there is an included GPS application called Sprint Navigation powered by TeleNav.)
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Spoken turn-by-turn navigation is included in the Everything plans, so in effect there's nothing extra to pay either way with Sprint. (In Sprint's navigation-capable phones, there is an included GPS application called Sprint Navigation powered by TeleNav.)
    As a point of information, Sprints own Sprint/Navigation turn by turn require that you be in Sprint area. Third party apps like TomTom or Gamin do not, but it is unlikely in the extreme you will see such full third party apps on the pre for a year or more (if ever).

When we talk about GPS on handsets there are several variables that need to be known:

1) does chip/driver combination allow true standalone for the gps location itself? IE Palm has in the past released devices that are locked to the Sprint signal even for the basic function of acquiring any location at all. IE forced aGPS only. This is unknown with Pre at this time although it is proably that Pre will have both standalone GPS (no carrier signal requirement) and aGPS

2) Does the device allow the location, once acquired, to be exploited by third party programs and with what ease. WM allows this with ease for example for everything ranging from full fledged programs such as garmin to simple location based exploits like tagging photos you take with the gps information. This is unknown with Pre at this time but it is probable it will be open on the Pre. Google maps points to the optomistic view

3) is there a sufficient market for development and port of 3rd party top-level navigation programs such as TomTom or Garmin on a given device/OS. This is unlikely for Pre for a very long time

4) How well does telnav, which although limited by carrier dependence, is good enugh turn by turn most of the time work on the Pre. We know you are forced to pay for the service wit the required Pre plans, and we are waiting to see how well it works.

Google maps, while fun and useful, is not a replacement for functionality of Telnav/Sprint Navigation, or Garmin, navigation or TomTom.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Depends on the plan.

Sprint Everything 450

$69.99

- 450 minutes
    - unlimited text
    - unlimited data

ATT iPhone Plan

$89.99

- 450 minutes: $39.99
    - unlimited data: $30
    - unlimited text: $20

----------------------------------------------------
    ATT is $480 more over the course of a 2 year contract
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Sprint Simply Everything

$99.99

- unlimited minutes
    - unlimited text
    - unlimited data

ATT Unlimited Plan

$139.99

- unlimited minutes and data: $119
    - unlimited text: $20

-----------------------------------------------------
    ATT is $960 more over a 2-year contract
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I think I almost came up with the same thing as well on one of my other posts. Notice too that with Sprint you get 7pm-7am included. With the iPhone, it was an option to add for $8.99 I believe, so I came up with an even higher amount when I did my calculations.

SPRINT IS CHEAPER just like shown in this post
    I'm sure many will agree & disagree on the "crappy vs best" comment so lets focus on the numbers.
    I can't include discounts. People on AT&T get 10%-50% off, which would blow your SERO amounts away in some cases, so lets not discuss discounts.

I'm just trying to find out why people say you will pay SO MUCH MORE at AT&T. I do appreciate your response though.
    You also get the benefit of double the effective in network calling with ATT. A given number of minutes plan on ATT is considerably more valuable than Sprints (and much more valuable on verizon than either due to their 80 million in network plus their 10 out of network method.)

We get 40%off ATT and 27% off Sprint (17% employer and 10% loyalty) with my wife's employer, but on the Pre required plans our discount will droip to zero for the $100 plan and 17% for the other everything plans.

Sprint is a good deal generally but not nearly to the degree some assert.
    Just FYI, the 4th phone and beyond on an AT&T family plan is $14.99.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12