Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Yes. Think about it... For a brand new phone without contract, you will be paying $550 + tax, that's like $600.

Instead, you get a new contract, pay $200 + tax (at Best Buy) + $36 activation; and pay $200 termination charge for your old contract. Total = $450.

There, I just saved you $150.

Note: You will have to swap the numbers between the two plans (it's doable) via customer service to keep your old phone number.

[Update 5/21] Since a lot people are confused on why and how you should do this, here's a step by step guide:

Step 1: Do you really need to do this?
    This money-saver is only for people who are already in a contract with Sprint and cannot upgrade without paying full price for the phone; either the ridiculous $800+ price at Best Buy or $549 directly from Sprint. Do you fall under this category? If not, then stop reading now, this not for you.

Step 2: Get a new Pre with a contract at Best Buy, Walmart etc.
    You will be spending $200+tax and be charged $36 for activation with your new plan. (If you buy from Sprint, you might be able to save the $36 activation fee, but you will be paying $300+tax -minus- $100 rebate). Note: You can have multiple plans / lines with sprint under one or more accounts. It's normal.

Step 3: Call Sprint and swap the numbers between the two plans.
    This will not affect your contract, your plan or your devices. (And you don't even need to do this if you don't care about your old phone number.)

Step 4: Cancel your old plan.
    Not the new plan you bought the Pre on. This is your plan because of which you couldn't qualify for an upgrade discount. Sprint will charge you a pro-rated monthly fee + an early termination charge of $175 or $200 depending your contract.

Step 5: Enjoy your new Pre!
    By now, you should have a working Pre with Sprint, which cost you around $400 with all the different costs associated. That's more than $150 cheaper than what you would have paid buying the phone outright from Spring or $450 cheaper than buying it sans a plan at Best Buy.

If you guys still cannot understand even after these detailed steps, then I respectfully bow and give up on trying to explain this.
    Last edited by haydur; 05/21/2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: More details added.
    Don't they not allow you to keep the phone if you cancel too soon for this exact reason? I've read people saying this online.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Don't they not allow you to keep the phone if you cancel too soon for this exact reason? I've read people saying this online.
    I am saying cancel the old plan; not the new one.
    You keep the phone. Lots of people do it. You can cancel the next day and sell the phone and there is nothing sprint can say. they have to activate it.

The real final maximum cost on the phone o matter what you want to do with it is $199 plus $150 ETF

That is one of the reasons why it is better to buy at a place with instant rebate vs mail in rebate.
    once you cancel with sprint, you can't set up a new account for 6 months. it use to be done by name on the account, but i have heard that it is now done by billing address.

so, the only way you can do it this way is to set up the account in someone else name and address. or wait 6 months and use your name and address.

There no dumbies. your not the first to try this. lol. nice try though. i've been thinking of how i can do it all day.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    ^true, but what if you open a new account with the same address as your existing one? Or just add a line to your existing account and then cancel it?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    once you cancel with sprint, you can't set up a new account for 6 months. it use to be done by name on the account, but i have heard that it is now done by billing address.

so, the only way you can do it this way is to set up the account in someone else name and address. or wait 6 months and use your name and address.

There no dumbies. your not the first to try this. lol. nice try though. i've been thinking of how i can do it all day.
    You're really not cancelling an account, only a line of service. The account is still open, right. The terms for the Pre are new line of service, not a new account.

But what happens if you have multiple people at the same address. My daughters pay their own cell bills and all of ours come to the same address from the same carrier. Seems there maybe some wiggle room here.

FWIW, I did cancel an account with AT&T last year and gave my oldest daughter my iPhone. Then I had a need for one and got another phone with them three months later. New account number, new everything, no qualms on their part. Maybe that's why they have more subscribers than Sprint does now.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    A scenario I've wanted to hear more about is let's say you buy an Instinct / Pre. Wait a week or two, cancel the plan and then want to reactivate it - does it still check the plan requirement or has this been settled by having it originally activated using an Everything Plan?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    A scenario I've wanted to hear more about is let's say you buy an Instinct / Pre. Wait a week or two, cancel the plan and then want to reactivate it - does it still check the plan requirement or has this been settled by having it originally activated using an Everything Plan?
    No that phone-to-plan association is based on the phone's ESN number.

Anyway, I don't see a single reply where someone correctly understood what I described. I guess you guys are not the money-saver types.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    No that phone-to-plan association is based on the phone's ESN number.

Anyway, I don't see a single reply where someone correctly understood what I described. I guess you guys are not the money-saver types.

I understand it, totally. You get a new Pre at Best Buy for $200 (no taxes, I'm in Oregon), and a $36 activation fee. I thne call Sprint and swap numbers, not plans. Then I cancel my old line for $200. So I'm out $436. But don't forget that when you cancel your old plan is important as well. If you cancel at the start of your billing cycle, you'll still have to pay the full month's charges + the termination fee. If you cancel any other time your monthly fee will be prorated. So there will be some additional charges but like you say still better than full price.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I understand it, totally. You get a new Pre at Best Buy for $200 (no taxes, I'm in Oregon), and a $36 activation fee. I thne call Sprint and swap numbers, not plans. Then I cancel my old line for $200. So I'm out $436. But don't forget that when you cancel your old plan is important as well. If you cancel at the start of your billing cycle, you'll still have to pay the full month's charges + the termination fee. If you cancel any other time your monthly fee will be prorated. So there will be some additional charges but like you say still better than full price.
    Good man! Finally someone understands how to save money. Btw, you can buy it online, and there won't be any activation fee, and next day shipping is free. (And I would double check that full month charge; I think they'll pro-rated the charges.)
    You won't be able to get a Pre without a contract at least during the initial release rush. They simply won't sell one if you're not activating/upgrading. Betcha.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    You won't be able to get a Pre without a contract at least during the initial release rush. They simply won't sell one if you're not activating/upgrading. Betcha.
    Hmmm, can't say with 100% certainty, can we? Sprint is not Apple/AT&T.
    If it's within your 30 days, you need to give the phone back or pay full price. If it's after the 30 days, you pay the ETF and keep the phone.
    are u guys sure that u won't have to pay 2 etfs.. 1 to Sprint and 1 to BB???
    cus if u buy from a retailer you are signing a contract with them 2...
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiki2 View Post
    Please read again. This trick is specifically for those who are already in contract with Sprint, and are thinking about buying the Pre outright.
    I kept two lines of service when i pulled this trick for about 6 months and thought they weren't charging me...until i realized i had set up direct deposit payments haha.

Oh well, it was my sero days.
    Good man! Finally someone understands how to save money. Btw, you can buy it online, and there won't be any activation fee, and next day shipping is free. (And I would double check that full month charge; I think they'll pro-rated the charges.)
    I did mention that they will pro-rate the charges. I only mention the full month charge if you do it at the start of the billing cycle.

Hmmm, can't say with 100% certainty, can we? Sprint is not Apple/AT&T.
    Apple/At&T still won't sell a new iPhone without in-store activation. I don't know about the refurbs they're selling, you can only get them online, but I think they make you get a plan before they ship.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiki2 View Post
    No you don't have a contract with BB. BB is acting as an agent for Sprint, and your contract is with Sprint. I purchased my Treo Pro through Best Buy, and all my paperwork is for Sprint. If I cancel, I only owe an etf to Sprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast