Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    New BlackBerry models often get the "no activation/no sale" treatment when first launched. I know the Storm sure did, and so did the original Curve. Not the Bold, but that was because every other carrier in the world plus their mothers had already launched it by the time AT&T got their collective thumbs out of their collective butts.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    once you cancel with sprint, you can't set up a new account for 6 months. it use to be done by name on the account, but i have heard that it is now done by billing address.

    so, the only way you can do it this way is to set up the account in someone else name and address. or wait 6 months and use your name and address.

    There no dumbies. your not the first to try this. lol. nice try though. i've been thinking of how i can do it all day.
    Whoa cody.

    I have Sprint, I have a multi line account. I have added lines and canceled them several times (actually I did all cancellations during etf moratoriums of which there have been several per year now last few years). They have not stopped me from adding other lines within weeks.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Whoa cody.

    I have Sprint, I have a multi line account. I have added lines and canceled them several times (actually I did all cancellations during etf moratoriums of which there have been several per year now last few years). They have not stopped me from adding other lines within weeks.
    ETF moratoriums? How do you find out about those?


    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  4. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #24  
    I am also trying to avoid buying the Pre at full price. Currently I'm in a family plan with my girlfriend. What if i add a line to get the pre, activate under old number, than cancel line after 1 month? Will that work?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Yes. Think about it... For a brand new phone without contract, you will be paying $550 + tax, that's like $600.

    Instead, you get a new contract, pay $200 + tax (at Best Buy) + $36 activation; and pay $200 termination charge for your old contract. Total = $450.

    There, I just saved you $150.

    Note: You will have to swap the numbers between the two plans (it's doable) via customer service to keep your old phone number.
    Be VERY careful of doing this...

    I did this when the Centros came out. Bought it with a new line to get the new customer discount then 2 days later called customer service and had them switch my #'s. I had no problem... HOWEVER, a coworker of mine did the same thing, on the same day. He was charged back the $200 new customer instant rebate on his bill a month later. When he called, Customer service told him he would have had to wait 30 days before he could swap the numbers. This was Sprint's way of trying to keep people from doing what I did. They just never caught me.
  6. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaniel76 View Post
    Be VERY careful of doing this...

    I did this when the Centros came out. Bought it with a new line to get the new customer discount then 2 days later called customer service and had them switch my #'s. I had no problem... HOWEVER, a coworker of mine did the same thing, on the same day. He was charged back the $200 new customer instant rebate on his bill a month later. When he called, Customer service told him he would have had to wait 30 days before he could swap the numbers. This was Sprint's way of trying to keep people from doing what I did. They just never caught me.
    So will the way I described work?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    So will the way I described work?
    Are you on a "Simply Everything" Family plan?

    I may be wrong... I haven't looked into this too much, but I believe you have to have an "everything" plan to even get the Pre. (Anyone correct me if i'm wrong)...

    What do you mean by "activate under an old number"? Is the old number still under contact? If so, no this will not work. You need to activate a completely new line.
  8. #28  
    Question guys, I what I just recently ordered a Palm Pro thru telesales for $300 and then I found out about the release date for the Pre, since I have a 30 day return policy can I just take it to the store or what, Ive never returned a phone before.
  9. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaniel76 View Post
    Are you on a "Simply Everything" Family plan?

    I may be wrong... I haven't looked into this too much, but I believe you have to have an "everything" plan to even get the Pre. (Anyone correct me if i'm wrong)...

    What do you mean by "activate under an old number"? Is the old number still under contact? If so, no this will not work. You need to activate a completely new line.
    We have everything plan. What i meant was open up a new line, then after 30 days switch pre to old number and cancel new line.
  10. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #30  
    OK. Let's throw this one in the mix. Say I have a plan that is out of contract. I could cancel at any time without penalty. What if I got the Pre with a new line (keeping my old line as well). Then a few days later (even 30 days would be ok), I swap the phone numbers, then cancel the line with the out of contract plan. Would that work?
  11. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    OK. Let's throw this one in the mix. Say I have a plan that is out of contract. I could cancel at any time without penalty. What if I got the Pre with a new line (keeping my old line as well). Then a few days later (even 30 days would be ok), I swap the phone numbers, then cancel the line with the out of contract plan. Would that work?
    Why would you want to do that? Out of contract ppl qualify for the full discount. You might have to change your plan, but that's the same plan you will be getting if you signed up on a new number/contract.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    We have everything plan. What i meant was open up a new line, then after 30 days switch pre to old number and cancel new line.
    According to my experience, you'll be able to switch after 30 days, BUT you're stuck with the 2nd line unless you cancel it and pay the $200 early termination fee.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    OK. Let's throw this one in the mix. Say I have a plan that is out of contract. I could cancel at any time without penalty. What if I got the Pre with a new line (keeping my old line as well). Then a few days later (even 30 days would be ok), I swap the phone numbers, then cancel the line with the out of contract plan. Would that work?
    From my understanding, you're not just changing numbers from one account to the other... The phone numbers are tied to the account. So if you opened a new contract with a new number and then transferred your Pre to the old number/out of contract account, then you're still stuck with the brand new contract/number. You'll be charged the early termination fee if you want to cancel that.

    So as the other poster said, this makes no sense. Just renew the contract on the old line, get the Pre and change your plan to a new plan.
  14. #34  
    Aren't those EFTs prorated? So really it's less than $200.

    If you really want to save money, there are a few extra things you can do,
    1) sell your plan - if you have the SERO plan, you can just post on craigslist and I'm sure someone will jump to take it over
    2) complain that your sprint phone doesn't get reception or you moved to some part of the country that doesn't get sprint service

    Then again it's just $200 not $1000 so you must be pretty lame to go through all that work.

    I figure if I pay $75 a month after taxes/fees for the $60 plan instead of the $30 total I pay now (and lose free mobile to mobile and sprint@home), that's $45x12=$540 more a year. That's $5400 over 10 years or $10,800 over 20 years.

    So I'm not giving up my sero plan until they force me out

    Hopefully someone will come up with a way to change the ESN on the palm pre. It's based out of linux so probably doable. Then I will just clone my current ESN onto the pre and not pay sprint anything.
  15. #35  
    Quick, related question: I have 5 lines (wifey, 2 kids, grandma). Three of those lines are out of contract. Do you think I can get a discount for a Pre on an in-contract line if I extend my contract on one of my other lines? (I don't feel like swapping numbers with my kid)
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions