1.    #1  
    This question may have already been asked but I haven't found it. What's stopping someone from buying a pre on ebay and simply activating it by using the meid number either online through sprint or at a sprint store or even over the phone?

Obviously the motivation would be to keep my SERO plan

Thanks
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    You can buy it, but you won't be able to activate it unless you have an approved plan.
    Because their system knows what phone has what MEID/ESN and so if they see that you're trying to activate a Pre, their system won't allow it.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Unless someone somewhere can modify the phone ESN's to a different phone. (But that's not 100% kosher; it has parts from the back of the cow!)
    We've had 2 or 3 posts over at the Treo Pro forum that Sprint/Palm won't warrant Ebay Phones.
    Could be pure Rumor/Hype/Speculation.

Because most reports from forum members is that Sprint/Palm will Warrant Ebay Purchases.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    We've had 2 or 3 posts over at the Treo Pro forum that Sprint/Palm won't warrant Ebay Phones.

Because most reports from forum members is that Sprint/Palm will Warrant Ebay Purchases.
    Personal experience: I bought a brand new Touch (Vogue) on eBay last year; used the s*** out of it, and replacement it for me this year after 9 months of use for a brand new one (with all the accessories in the box).

There was also the ROM version issue with the EBay phones, but people have been able to get the ROM version flashed to the latest version.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Ebay+phone=fail
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Ebay+phone=fail
    Buy and sell from eBay all the time. Just bought an HTC Touch Diamond (brand new Asurion replacement) for $195 (after Live.com rebate). That is cheaper than what Sprint charges with a contract after a rebate!
    Ebay+phone=fail
    What do you mean by fail? Go to the Treo Pro forum, or any of the other Palm devices, you'll read of numerous instances of phones being purchased off eBay and activated, and even given TEP protection. Not unusual at all.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Ebay+phone=fail
    Wrong. literally thousands of people do it with no problems.

Ebay is the greatest thing that ever happened ot the mobile phone consumer.

I just sold two Treo Pro 800Ws for $100 each. The buyers presumably replacnig a broken one, or moving up form an other phone but not eligible for any discount got great deals on very good conditions phones which Sprint will not ask any question of the person puts it on TEP.

Who cares about TEP anyway with ebay there to provide phones at less than a TEP replacement after monthly fees and deductible would cost!

To clarify, Palm stated they would not warrant a very unusual case of some devices that were not intend to be sold without ROM update ending up on ebay. This had to do with an extremely exceptional case of teh Sprint Treo Pro being pulled for new Roms and some non updated units ending up in the hands of sellers.

Palms warranty is of some value, but Sprint also offers its own warranty support

Sprint has an interest in making sure customers are happy with service. They make heir money on service. the secondary market on phones is not great for makers (which is why Palm took the position it took), but the secondary market is grood for mobile service providers ,as people who might churn do to the need to buy a new phone won't if they can get it for cheap