Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    So I haven't seen anybody mention the wi-fi capabilities on this thing yet. Is it only for web browsing, or can you use it to make free calls as well, out of the box?
    We don't know if there is a VOIP program yet but if there isn't at release one should follow fairly quickly.
    They will not include a VOIP client out of the box. Maybe 3rd party dev will write one for it.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Didn't T-mobile or something have a phone that you could make unlimited wi-fi calls out of the box?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Many T-Mobile phones feature UMA. For example I currently use a BlackBerry 8900 when I am attached to a WiFi access point all data/txts/phone calls go through WiFi. Minutes are deducted from your plan unless you have 10/month for the UMA add on. It is nice for places where you have little to no coverage. In addition calls are transferred seamlessly between wifi and the cell network when you move from location to location.
    Here's hoping that Skype or Gizmo or Fring come onboard the WebOS train.

If Skype could make a client for the Nokia N800/N810 tablets (which are based on Linux - Maemo) i'm hoping it wouldn't be too much of an obstacle for them to do something for WebOS.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    It seems like a possibility. Since Sprint mandates an "Everything" plan to activate the Pre on their network, it seems that they wouldn't lose any revenue by alloing VoIP clients sold in the Palm app market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    It seems like a possibility. Since Sprint mandates an "Everything" plan to activate the Pre on their network, it seems that they wouldn't lose any revenue by alloing VoIP clients sold in the Palm app market.
    AT&T did the same thing with the iPhone and Skype still made it onto the device...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    One other thing to keep in mind that the whole AIM/Gtalk Synergy thing might possibly be based on the Telepathy framework in Linux. IF that is true (which is just a guess on my part, but it's a common open-source framework for system-wide IM integration), the framework also supports VOIP, so it could just be a matter of gaining root and getting the right things installed, and then any SIP VOIP network could work through the whole Synergy setup as well.

I'll repeat just to clarify though that this is pure speculation and guessing, so it might not be so simple.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    The everything plans with family don't necessarily have unlimited minutes.